Lookout Inn Lodge
Luna Lodge(Carate)
$173
  • Pool
El Remanso Lodge(Osa Peninsula)
$327
Hotels.com
$585
$567
  • Breakfast included
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$61
$59
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
$133
Hotels.com
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$69
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$39
Cabinas Jimenez(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$48
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsstairway to heavenmonkey houseblue butterflyhis wifehappy hourscarlet macawsother guestscosta ricaosa peninsulatiki hutcorcovado national parkopen airmonkey roomsoupsfrog tourbeach bungalowgreat hosts
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We are about to schedule our 3rd trip to Lookout Inn, and it's no exaggeration to suggest a permanent visit would be perfect. Enjoy a stunning mix of nature and comfort. Bring a bathing suit, shorts, flip-flops and a shirt and leave the rest at home. Oh yes, don't forget your camera!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I’ve visited the Osa Peninsula on two separate occasions and I can say without a doubt that the Lookout Inn is the place to stay. I had originally booked for three days but after spending just one day there, I knew I wanted to stay for my entire time in Costa Rica. I ended up staying a total of nine days and loved every minute of it.

The staff was attentive to my every need… they always put in the extra effort and special touches to make my stay very memorable. I want to extend a special thank you to Jackson and Wagner, both top-notch guys that know their way around a kitchen and can create art with recipes and place settings equal to a five star resort; Jef, an Osa bartender who has no equal and a jack of all trades to boot… he mixes a mean drink (try a Stargarita!) and never fails to entertain with his quick witted humor; Alejandra, who is an amazing person and talented artist… her work is displayed in many places at the Lookout Inn; Last but not least, Terry and Kattia… who run the place with an uncanny attention to every detail and make the Lookout Inn feel like a home.

All but a few of the “rooms” at the Inn are like something out of a jungle story dream. If you can even call them rooms, because four of them are like some Robinson Crusoe inspired abode that will make you feel as if you’re “one with nature” while living among all the jungle’s flora and fauna. The elevated and open design of the Swing-In Spa and Monkey House literally removes the barriers that we all deal with in our traditional homes or offices so you really feel that you are in a vastly different place. The two Tiki Huts are smaller, but also open towards the Pacific and are perfect for the solo traveler or a couple. No matter which one you choose, nearly all of your senses are stimulated… the sound of the ocean waves and nightly calls of rainforest creatures, the smells of the flowers and plant life, the sight of jungle animals in their natural habitat and almost within reach at times, and the feel of a nearly constant ocean breeze that makes the humidity very negligible.

Every meal at the Lookout Inn was wonderful and special requests were always fulfilled. Fresh mahi-mahi, red snapper, fruits and salad right from the Osa were just a few of the items on the menu during my stay there. Everything was cooked perfectly and served with perfection. Gathering for each meal was something everyone seemed to look forward to as it was the perfect time to get to know the other guests and share stories. It was truly a group environment where everyone became a family of sorts.

Activities at the Lookout Inn and in the area are numerous… too many to list here, but I will mention the amazing waterfalls just within an hour’s hike, the stairway to heaven where a great view awaits, the magnificent Pacific ocean where a daily swim or beach walk is easily accessible, and of course, the famed Corcovado National Park where some of the world’s most beautiful creatures call home. The grounds of the Inn and local area are a photographer’s dream… I took over 500 photos and could’ve easily taken more.

In summary, the Lookout Inn is a special place that I recommend to anyone that wants to experience all of the best the Osa has to offer. The staff, accommodations, food, and activities are all first class. In my own personal experience, I can honestly say it felt like I was meant to be there… that I was drawn to the place for some purpose that I cannot yet determine. So, if you’re looking to “get away from it all” and lose yourself in a place where you can gain a different perspective, or if you just want to enjoy a wonderful time on the Osa, the Lookout Inn Lodge is the place to be.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2009

The Lookout Inn is fantastic! We went to the Lookout Inn over the Christmas holidays with our 11-year old daughter and 8 year-old son. We had some idea of what to expect from the website and friends who'd visited last year, but nothing prepared us for the beauty of this place. We spent 6 days (including Christmas) at the Lookout Inn. Terry and Katya are wonderful hosts who really make an effort to connect with everyone who stays there. There is so much to do and see here, or you can choose to read books in hammocks, walk the deserted beach and be humbled by the myriad of birds and animals everywhere. There are no TVs, radios or other distractions here, and my kids didn't seem to notice at all! We hiked to waterfalls, saw crocodiles and spoonbills at the lagoon, and had an amazing day with Erick, the guide, at Corcovado Park. We met wonderful people who will remain our friends, and will cherish the memories of our vacation in Osa (spent exclusively at the Lookout Inn). Katya and Terry have found paradise, and are generous enough to share it with those willing to go off the beaten path to get there.

Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stay here for a few days With my Girlfriend. I stayed in the Tiki huts. I thought they were the highlight of my 3 weeks on the osa peninsula. It was Amazing. I could not reccommend this place any more.

There were a few renovations going on when we got there bu that did not disturb or affect on stay in anyway. The food was fantastic. Terry and Katya the hosts were very hospitable. Terry's cooking was rather excellent also.

But waking up first thing in the TikiHut with a view of pure Forest was an unforgetaable Experience. There are many walks and trails there. You can go to the nearby Lagoon to look for crocodiles. The stairway to heaven is a good challenge for the Adventurous. IT is also a perfect place to stay after a long hard trek through Corcavado National Park.

I saw all kinds of Birds here that I couldn't Name them all. Especially the Scarlet macaws they really are everywhere.

Anybody going to the Osa Peninsula would be missing out on a treat if they don't stay here.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Firstly, I would like to be objective and state that i've been to roughly 120 different cities in many different countries encountering all sorts of surprises, terrain, value, pricing, levels of service, geography.

My wife loves an adventure so we thought this would be the next logical choice. We were (slightly) skeptical after reading some reviews on how wrongly Terry (the owner) treats his wife in public (and infront of guests) but we turned a blind eye to that hoping for the best.

Terry (the owner) is a ponzi-style scam artist. I regret having to call him that as my education makes it challenging but I clearly do not have any other word to describe him. He's a true con-artist so please beware!

When we got to Costa Rica everything went well until we were about 1 hr away from Terry's property...

He totally will (FAIL) to point out that if (EVEN) the slighest amount of rain fall occurs, you will be UNABLE to reach his destination!!! Repeat: "A little rain and you WILL NOT be able to reach this place!" At several hundred dollars a day, this is CLEARY a gamble. I should have known this when he sounded obscure and (only) wanted to book via PayPal, not accepting cards or more secure forms of payment!

In case you doubt what I am saying, i attached two pictures. They both will show you the 'path' to Terry's property.

You will notice my wife half-buried in water on one picture and the rental car (4x4) which clearly isnt up for the task of crossing a river. Please keep in mind there are more than 7 of these so-called rivers between Terry and pavement. Unless you have a modified Hummer vehicle, no 4 x4 will make it through this. We watched a 4x4 belonging to a local drown in the process.....

We then were stranded in Puerto Jimenez (the town next to Terry's property) for the next two days. When we (finally) got in touch with Terry's wife (Katya) who was also stranded in Puerto Jimenez as she was unable to cross the over-flown rivers herself she promised us a full refund and apologized. We left two days later (without ever reaching the property) and never saw our money, never. We emailed Terry about the refund but we only heard 'crickets' in return.

Bottom line: Terry does not position the risks involved, he ruined our vacation as we had planned it and then failed to act on what his wife had promised to us!!! When a hotel owner promises you a refund, he should provide it. He should not wait until you leave the premises to then give you the cold shoulder. Very un-reliable. He still 'owes' us $450. What a thief!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple