Lookout Inn Lodge
Luna Lodge(Carate)
$173
  • Pool
El Remanso Lodge(Osa Peninsula)
$327
Hotels.com
$585
$567
  • Breakfast included
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$61
$59
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
$133
Hotels.com
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$69
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$39
Cabinas Jimenez(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
$48
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsstairway to heavenmonkey houseblue butterflyhis wifehappy hourscarlet macawsother guestscosta ricaosa peninsulatiki hutcorcovado national parkopen airmonkey roomsoupsfrog tourbeach bungalowgreat hosts
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Lookout Inn in Carate, Costa Rica was by far the best vacation spot I have been to. If you ever want to just get away and have a great time in a serene environment this is the place to be. It is a very relaxing and trouble free place. The rooms are great and the cabanas are even better. There is plenty to do wether it be relaxing on a hammock by the beach, or enjoying the excellent cuisine. The Lookout Inn is the place to be in Costa Rica. If you visit this wonderful country and do not stay a night or two or five at this place your trip will always be incomplete. Trust me I went there about 6 years ago and didn't stay at the Lookout Inn. When I went back the next year and did stay at the Lookout Inn and the second trip knocked the socks off the first because of this EXCELLENT place. I continue to visit this place annually. Book it now.

Room Tip: Get a private cabana. Excellent for couples.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

hey jp great to see you again and thanks for visiting us at the lookout inn good luck with medical school hurry so you can replace my bad hips thanks again katya - terry and the team

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I traveled to Costa Rica a few weeks ago to look into a business deal, the deal didn't work out but I was with good people and a great guide so we went exploring. we ended up in the most remote part of the country I've ever been too and I have to tell you. On a suggestion from a lodge owner we stopped for breakfast and info at the Lookout inn, what a find. The views, the wilderness, I felt like for the first time in my life I had found paradise. the grounds of the hotel were spotless, the help was first class the food was good. Why would I suggest this place, Ive been in the service business all my life and if you want a vacation where you are off the grid, no one can bother you, no one puts pressure on you, and you have the rain forest,( one of the top national parks in the world) at your back door, the greenest ocean I've ever seen (50 yards from your front door, and its 90 degrees) beautiful black sand beaches, Wild monkeys that come down from the trees to enjoy fresh fruit while you enjoy the great breakfast, macaws living free all around you, and many other beautiful animals living in the wild. After breakfast which was served to us with a smile on there beautiful deck the guest ambassador brought us map and showed us a beautiful hike where we saw water falls, and more beautiful wild life. The day went from uncertainty to one of my best days in Costa Rica because of the staff of this beautiful lodge .... I haven't met Terry or his wife Katya yet but I hope get get back there soon and stay for more than a day, if they can make a day so wonderful I'm sure a week would be heaven....... Oh as for the title to this review if your in good shape they have a stairway off the back deck called the stairway to heaven I made it to the top and the view is a once in a life time site.. Thanks to all the crew at the Lookout inn See you soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LeeKouskoutis
lookoutinn, Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

hello chef achilles - i hear your returning again to carate beach in november can;t stay away from us eh??? thanks for stopping inn at the inn last month. weather here has been great -el nino is keeping us dry -- check the web site front page to review the last 14 years of annual rain fall -- its amazing the amount of wet stuff that falls from the sky.. thanks again and see ya soon...

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Was very excited to stay here based on the strength of many of the reviews, and was sorely disappointed. The rooms themselves were quite rustic, and perhaps to a fault. For instance, when paying the amount of money this place charges, we would expect hot water at a bare minimum - that was not the case. Of course, in any hotel or lodge, it's the details that make or break things, and here, they were uniformly lacking. Everything seemed dated or barely functioning. To be fair, nothing terrible, but not what we expected for the price.

This became particularly clear when we had a chance to visit another hotel just down the road (which has the same initials) and were blown away with what they had to offer at a similar price point. Really put into perspective how much we felt like we were getting ripped off at this place.

Also, don't be fooled by the number of "activities" listed on their website. They're either, for the most part, not available or something that takes 5 minutes to experience. And the staff at this Inn was certainly not helpful in assisting us with any of them, forcing us to make our own arrangements after talking with locals. We discussed our concerns with the owner, and he was not receptive -- he essentially blamed us for wanting to do too much and said we should just hang out and relax instead. Very frustrating.

In all, a very disappointing time, and would not stay here again.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank daveistrad1
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

my staff and i want to say that we are sorry for your ''poor experience'' as my web site states this lodge is totally off the grid and during the rain-eee season there are lots of times our solar energy does not warm up the waters or the inter net may be down or slow -the ocean out front may be loud and dirty from the rains -also the clean rooms / cabins are open air so they are part of the environment its like tree house living ( dont you agree )?? its not down town living - and we offer 20 -35 % discount green rates during this beautiful rain-eeee season and 3 meals a day from a great chef-- buffet style all you can eat and a full service bar with a tender -- and dont forget the great ocean views and the animal life.

- AS YOU PUT IT'' Really put into perspective how much we felt like we were getting ripped off at this place.'' sorry you felt this way - my staff my wife and i give 110 % to make every one feel safe and at home here at the lookout inn initials LOI and there is no lodge down the street with the same initials- and honestly we really dont remember any one with any ''poor experience ''this entire 2012 season.and do you know why?? its because we are a family owned and operated lodge in costa rica 16 years of experience and still loving it.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I come back to stay every year since I discovered this paradise in the jungle 6 years ago. Terry & Katya treat their guests like family. They have an excellent staff. The flora & fauna are fabulous. I love The Lookout !

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

hello susan -- katya and i want to thank you for visiting us here at the lookout inn once again and it was a pleasure serving & hosting you - hope to see you in the future maybe less than 6 years ok?? thanks - the lookout inn team

Reviewed July 23, 2012

You know you are in an incredible place when the bird you see more often than any other is an endangered species. Yes, we are experiencing the jungle up close and personal, but also had the luxury of having Juan Carlos "Juan Kee" as our wonderful gourmet chef. At each meal the views were breathtaking. we viewed the flocks of pelicans fly by , the scarlet macaws swoop in to eat almonds and ligntning shows over the ocean. Alana our gracious hostess took care of us in every way. What a wonderful adventure for our 39th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jjjnall
lookoutinn, General Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

hello j.nall well the scarlet macaws are still flocking around the lookout inn they are now in groups of 10 -30 in the trees out front or flying around the lodge - every one should visit carate beach during the months of may -- oct .lots of these red birds around and the sea turtles are arriving on the black sand beach in front of our lodge and laying eggs -- katya has a nest protecion program with volunteers helping to build these bamboo cages and securing them on the nest from pouching and predation- so come on back and join us again... we all thank you from the lookout inn team...