“I found heaven at the top of a stairway.......”
Review of Lookout Inn Lodge

Lookout Inn Lodge
San Diego, California
“I found heaven at the top of a stairway.......”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I traveled to Costa Rica a few weeks ago to look into a business deal, the deal didn't work out but I was with good people and a great guide so we went exploring. we ended up in the most remote part of the country I've ever been too and I have to tell you. On a suggestion from a lodge owner we stopped for breakfast and info at the Lookout inn, what a find. The views, the wilderness, I felt like for the first time in my life I had found paradise. the grounds of the hotel were spotless, the help was first class the food was good. Why would I suggest this place, Ive been in the service business all my life and if you want a vacation where you are off the grid, no one can bother you, no one puts pressure on you, and you have the rain forest,( one of the top national parks in the world) at your back door, the greenest ocean I've ever seen (50 yards from your front door, and its 90 degrees) beautiful black sand beaches, Wild monkeys that come down from the trees to enjoy fresh fruit while you enjoy the great breakfast, macaws living free all around you, and many other beautiful animals living in the wild. After breakfast which was served to us with a smile on there beautiful deck the guest ambassador brought us map and showed us a beautiful hike where we saw water falls, and more beautiful wild life. The day went from uncertainty to one of my best days in Costa Rica because of the staff of this beautiful lodge .... I haven't met Terry or his wife Katya yet but I hope get get back there soon and stay for more than a day, if they can make a day so wonderful I'm sure a week would be heaven....... Oh as for the title to this review if your in good shape they have a stairway off the back deck called the stairway to heaven I made it to the top and the view is a once in a life time site.. Thanks to all the crew at the Lookout inn See you soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeeKouskoutis
lookoutinn, Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
hello chef achilles - i hear your returning again to carate beach in november can;t stay away from us eh??? thanks for stopping inn at the inn last month. weather here has been great -el nino is keeping us dry -- check the web site front page to review the last 14 years of annual rain fall -- its amazing the amount of wet stuff that falls from the sky.. thanks again and see ya soon...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Hebrew first
New York City
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Was very excited to stay here based on the strength of many of the reviews, and was sorely disappointed. The rooms themselves were quite rustic, and perhaps to a fault. For instance, when paying the amount of money this place charges, we would expect hot water at a bare minimum - that was not the case. Of course, in any hotel or lodge, it's the details that make or break things, and here, they were uniformly lacking. Everything seemed dated or barely functioning. To be fair, nothing terrible, but not what we expected for the price.

This became particularly clear when we had a chance to visit another hotel just down the road (which has the same initials) and were blown away with what they had to offer at a similar price point. Really put into perspective how much we felt like we were getting ripped off at this place.

Also, don't be fooled by the number of "activities" listed on their website. They're either, for the most part, not available or something that takes 5 minutes to experience. And the staff at this Inn was certainly not helpful in assisting us with any of them, forcing us to make our own arrangements after talking with locals. We discussed our concerns with the owner, and he was not receptive -- he essentially blamed us for wanting to do too much and said we should just hang out and relax instead. Very frustrating.

In all, a very disappointing time, and would not stay here again.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank daveistrad1
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
my staff and i want to say that we are sorry for your ''poor experience'' as my web site states this lodge is totally off the grid and during the rain-eee season there are lots of times our solar energy does not warm up the waters or the inter net may be down or slow -the ocean out front may be loud and dirty from the rains -also the clean rooms / cabins are open air so they are part of the environment its like tree house living ( dont you agree )?? its not down town living - and we offer 20 -35 % discount green rates during this beautiful rain-eeee season and 3 meals a day from a great chef-- buffet style all you can eat and a full service bar with a tender -- and dont forget the great ocean views and the animal life.

- AS YOU PUT IT'' Really put into perspective how much we felt like we were getting ripped off at this place.'' sorry you felt this way - my staff my wife and i give 110 % to make every one feel safe and at home here at the lookout inn initials LOI and there is no lodge down the street with the same initials- and honestly we really dont remember any one with any ''poor experience ''this entire 2012 season.and do you know why?? its because we are a family owned and operated lodge in costa rica 16 years of experience and still loving it.

Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I come back to stay every year since I discovered this paradise in the jungle 6 years ago. Terry & Katya treat their guests like family. They have an excellent staff. The flora & fauna are fabulous. I love The Lookout !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
hello susan -- katya and i want to thank you for visiting us here at the lookout inn once again and it was a pleasure serving & hosting you - hope to see you in the future maybe less than 6 years ok?? thanks - the lookout inn team
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

You know you are in an incredible place when the bird you see more often than any other is an endangered species. Yes, we are experiencing the jungle up close and personal, but also had the luxury of having Juan Carlos "Juan Kee" as our wonderful gourmet chef. At each meal the views were breathtaking. we viewed the flocks of pelicans fly by , the scarlet macaws swoop in to eat almonds and ligntning shows over the ocean. Alana our gracious hostess took care of us in every way. What a wonderful adventure for our 39th wedding anniversary.

3 Thank Jjjnall
lookoutinn, General Manager at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
hello j.nall well the scarlet macaws are still flocking around the lookout inn they are now in groups of 10 -30 in the trees out front or flying around the lodge - every one should visit carate beach during the months of may -- oct .lots of these red birds around and the sea turtles are arriving on the black sand beach in front of our lodge and laying eggs -- katya has a nest protecion program with volunteers helping to build these bamboo cages and securing them on the nest from pouching and predation- so come on back and join us again... we all thank you from the lookout inn team...
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 16, 2012

In June 2012 we stayed for 4 nights in the Lookout Inn. I am a stewardess and I have seen a lot of beautiful places in the world...the Lookout Inn is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited!

Where to start to describe the beauty of this place and the people who run it..?

Let's start at the beginning: the road to get to Carate is a Challenge..But don't let this hold you back! The place you end up is absolutely worth the trouble! You can either get there bij 4WD, or take the Collectivo from Puerto Jiminez (a big truck which is used as a taxi, mainly by the locals). Either way, the road is dirty and bumpy... And an additional advantage of the bumpy entrance road to Carate is that this place is not packed with tourists, so you don't have to share the beaches and National Park with other tourists!

We stayed in the Tiki Hut: basically an completely open room with only a roof, no windows, surrounded by the jungle. We just had the mosquito net to 'protect' us. I must admit that at first I was a bit worried if I would be able sleep at night in the open air... but I never in my life slept better then those 4 nights:)! The sound of the crashing waves, the view from our hut, the beautiful flowers, the noises of the birds and monkeys waking you up in the morning, the nicely folded towels, the outside shower; everything was so perfectly taking care of!

The place was always completely clean, our room as well as the main deck. At the main deck the food is served (all delicious and always more than enough, even after hours of hiking!), happy hour is celebrated, you can spot monkeys or scarlet macaws there and you can relax in one of the hammocks. Words can not describe the view from the main deck..The combination of the wild Pacific and the rough jungle from the Corcaovado Park makes this place unique in the world. At sunset, there is always a happy hour, where you can meet up with the other guests our just relax in one of the hammocks. During our stay, the bartender was on a holiday...but be sure to try Katia's Margaritha's...she makes the BEST margaritha's in Carate! (did I say Carate...I am almost sure she makes the best margaritha's in Costa Rica:)!!

Talking about the hosts, Katia and Terry. How warm, friendly and nice persons they are..! They made us feel like we were their friends, they made sure that we lacked nothing during our stay. It is a wonderful couple, a good mix of charm (Katia) and character (Terry;)). Also the rest of the staff, the ladies who cooked and cleaned the place where very very charming and always had a warm smile ready for us. Thanks guys, you made us feel at home so far away from home!

To finalize, something about the Corcovado National Park. I can be brief: it is absolutely stunning!
With our very good qualified and friendly guide Elias (guided tours are arranged by Terry and Katia) we made a beautiful hike through the park. Off course: you have to be in reasonable shape. This also applies to the Lookout Inn itself (lots of stairs), but I assume that people who decide to go to this kind of places are aware of this. If you are a just a bit of adventurous, this is the place to be. We saw lots of birds, snakes, monkeys (4 species), frogs and most importantly: it is so nice and quiet in the park. We could walk the park and the beaches without encountering anyone! And the combination of beaches directly flowing into the jungle is unique!

Katia, Terry and the rest of the staff: thank you so much for your warmth and friendliness.
I hope with all my heart that one day we can come back to you little paradise on earth!!

1 Thank engelien v
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
well what can i say -- all of this is true -- roads are not the best but at least there is no toll yet $-- the animal and bird life is all ways great here at the lookout inn and around carate beach and rain forest -- the sea turtles are up now laying eggs and that is something every one should come and see and get involved inn at the inn -- protecting the nests and saving babys from the critters is a full time job from about may -- dec so come on back and have fun again in the sun and rain.. thanks from your new family here at the lookout inn
Springbrook, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went to the Lookout Inn in June 2012 to start off our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Terry and Katya greeted us warmly as soon as we arrived and then Katya gave us a tour of their beautiful place of which the photos don't do justice. We stayed in the Spa which was open air to really give you the jungle experience. More than once we awoke to monkeys eating bananas only a few feet from our room! The bed was covered with mosquito netting and hung from the ceiling; it was very comfortable with a fan for the hot nights. Every day the small pool in our room refilled and our room was cleaned while we were out enjoying the spectacular views.
The food was the best we had during our stay in Costa Rica, Chef Juan Kee is a fantastic cook and fisherman! They are very accommodating and even asked if we had any requests, my husband asked for perogies which was a high order but lo and behold we had the most delicious perogy dinner on our last night.
The staff are very very friendly and efficient, Alana made us feel right at home. Happy hour brings cocktails, popcorn and a magnificent view while many hummingbirds are at the feeders only a few feet away. Dinner is a communal event where stories from the day's adventures are swapped and new interesting friends are made.
Corcovado Park is a must visit, be sure to get an early start as the first and last bit of the hike is on the hot beach. Katya's frog tour was well worth it, we saw snakes, red eyed tree frogs and many other interesting frog species.
The beach was all to ourselves and hikes just around the lodge offered many opportunities for wildlife viewing- the best we experienced in our two weeks. We extended our stay another night we were so entranced by the place. We recommend Lookout Inn wholeheartedly it is worth the trek. We cannot wait until our return visit hopefully next year!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the best accomodation closest to Corcovado National Park. There are a few rooms (more affordable) right in the main lodge and are clean and very dry (if you are in the rainy season). The rest of the lodge offers open air cabanas. We were there for 7 days on our honeymoon and stayed in the Beach Bungalow. This room was very private and was probably the most enclosed of all the cabanas available. The food is INCREDIBLE and the views are fantastic. They are accomodating for your nutritional needs (I have lactose intolerance and I had no problems). It is a very private and quiet location so if you want to get away and avoid the overcrowding tourists, go here. You can take a different hike everyday and get guided tours with little notice. Like most beaches on the Pacific side, its a bit rough, but the lodge offeres boogie boards. Quiet, clean great staff. To get to the lodge, you can either take the local bus or hire a driver. Although more expensive, the hired driver is reliable, very nice (we stopped to look at sloths and crocodiles en route), and much much faster/comfortable. But the bus is safe and cheap. The PARK IS BEAUTIFUL! This is not a 5 star resort - this is a down to earth, beautiful, simple, clean lodge with great staff and amazing food. Everything you need for a comfortable stay is there - privacy is paramount, nature is impecible, friendliness is abundant. Good luck, have fun!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelmug155004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
Aguila de Osa Inn
Aguila de Osa Inn
#4 of 8 in Drake Bay
Finca Exotica Ecolodge

Been to Lookout Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!