“Wonderful lodge in the rainforest”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Colorado
“Wonderful lodge in the rainforest”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the lodge. There was quite a bit of hiking around the lodge and it allowed relatively easy access to corcovada (still quite a hike). The guides were amazing. I was pleasantly suprised by the wonderful food. It is a bit of a hike to/from the tents. The higher lettered tents have the best views.

There was a huge population of fauna and flora around the lodge. It really is tucked right into the rainforest.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank riatla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
wisconsin
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Nice location/ facility. Poor ownership/management. $100/nite for a
surplus tent up a long mud path. You exhaust the nearby hiking in a few
hours. Ms Lana is most egotistical/pretentious. Everything costs extra-
you vant to leave ze lodge?!?! 5 bucks for a ride down the mud slope, an almost impossible walk. Drink the water at your own risk, or pay,pay,pay
for water. Bad meals indifferently served.
The all-around pretentiousness was all pervasive. Killer view and nice weather. But 100 bucks for a cheesy tent? I felt sorry for some Euros whose entire C'rica experience was at Luna.
If you want to be regimented and confined, at great cost, this is the spot for you.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dozha
Luna-lodge, General Manager at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear reviewer and future reviewers,

We would like to clarify some misconceptions presented in this review. Our tents are stand-up platform tents with indoor bathrooms and private decks. There are rock walks-ways throughout the entire property - not mud paths. Our water source comes from a natural spring; therefore, it is very safe to drink. We only sell bottle water when people prefer to have it, especially when hiking. We are in the heart of the rainforest at the end of the road; however - the terms regimented and confined hardly seem appropriate terms. Our guests are free to chose from at least 10 different activities - guided or self guided.
We regret that your time was not more enjoyable because we pride ourselves on providing courteous attentive service and pleasing accommodations.

Kindly,

Luna Lodge Management.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I don't even know where to start when describing the Luna Lodge. Lana has done the most wonderful job balancing nature, animals and humans into this beautiful lodge. I stayed here for four nights with my husband and it is one of the best trips we have ever been on. Lana, her Mother and the Staff are so friendly and knowledgeable it was great to spend our Honeymoon and New Years with them. They had amazing food the entire time we were there and even packed us lunches when we were going to be gone for the afternoon. There was a new years party with a great dinner, pinata, drinks and dancing, unfortunately we were so tired from all our adventures we went to bed fairly early.

We stated in all three types of rooms, hacienda, bungalow and tents not only because that was what was available, but we wanted to experience all that the Luna had to offer. The bungalow rooms are beautiful, natural and very cozy. Yes they have mosquito nets on the beds but hey, you are in Costa Rica! We never had a problem with the bugs, just a few friendly ones hanging out in our bathroom. The last two nights Lana had us in Tent E overlooking the beautiful rainforest, it doesn't get much better than that. We opened up all of our windows and had what my husband called "surround big screen of the rainforest". It was unbelievable, even at night with the moon brightly shining (we had a full moon for new years)!

We went on several adventures while at the Luna Lodge. We did the Corcovado Hike which was beautiful and we saw all sorts of animals, even took a dip in the lagoon near the end. Our guide, Greg, was very intelligent and could spot animals the normal eye couldn't! Another day we took a trip with one of Lana's friends, Terri and Andy, to do some tree climbing and waterfall repelling. I recommend asking into this for a day trip if you have time. On our last full day we decided to get some beach time and took boogie boards down to the ocean and played in the water. The current was pretty strong, I'm glad I had the board but it was a great feeling to be in the Ocean and to relax. Look out for the rising tide! After the beach we came back for lunch and massages. It was so relaxing to be on a massage table with the most beautiful view. I thoroughly enjoyed every second.

We will definitely be back! Thanks Lana

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I have been going to Costa Rica for 8 years, and this is by far the most I have ever spent, but also the most unique and off the hook lodge I have ever stayed at, and I know CR very well.

This intimate and charming boutique lodge is without a doubt what a honeymoon or couple should desire for privacy, romance and nature all in 1 place.

The owner is a master of her domain, and every detail has a reason and is executed to the T. The bungelows are all nice and roomy, with outdoor baths/showers that are so nice and relaxing...

I have hiked Corcovado many times, but from Drake Bay and Pt Jimenez, this area is easy, very flat, and the trail hugs the beach within 100M.

Carate is lovely, an so is the drive there, a small 4x4 is best with mulitple streams and rivers to forge.

Pricey yes, but top of its class, blows Lapas Rios away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed at Luna for four nights and had a wonderful experience.

Our thatched hut was made of beautiful woods and a thatched roof. Our private deck had a nice view of the jungle mountainside, and it had comfortable rocking chairs. The bathroom was well designed with natural elements and light.

Service was impeccable--friendlly, helpful and professional. The staff made us feel at home.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I went to Luna Lodge with 2 daughers and one granddaughter to celebrate my granddaughter's 16th birthday. Was totally amazed over the Luna - gorgeous place, staffed by extremely competent employees. Must say I surprised myself by performing physical feats at 69 years of age I had no idea I was capable of doing. For a moment in time I was MUCH younger...i.e. hiked to the waterfall and hiked into Cornovaco National Forest. I kept looking for "Dora and Diego" the whole time we hiked...saw all of their animals!!!

There is nothing like being awakened at 5:45 a.m. by a chorus of howler monkeys. Just cannot describe the tranquility, and yet cosmopolitan "feel" of Luna. Pictures definitely don't do justice to this place. You must go and enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

I would totally recommend this destination to anyone not desiring a "Marriott experience".

• Stayed July 2009
Iowa
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for four nights for our 10th anniversary. We came to Osa to hike in Corcovado National Park and had carefully researched our options for a place to stay before settling on Carate and Luna Lodge. We couldn't have been more pleased with our choice for our Osa adventure.

Our adventure began with a jeep ride from Puerto Jimenez with a friendly guide arranged by the resort, who pointed out monkeys and other wildlife along the way and stopped whenever we wanted to take pictures. After reaching Carate and making the steep drive up to the resort, we were met by the resort's friendly staff with glasses of cold water and shown to our thatched hut set amidst a jungle garden.

The hut was charming, with an open air garden shower and an incredible view from the porch. Although the hut isn't fully enclosed, we weren't bothered by the bugs (although I can see how some squeamish types may be) and found the mosquito netting to be adequate to deter the bugs at night. We also weren't bothered by the lights out at ten because we were exhausted every night from our daily activities.

The resort offers many activities to choose from. We selected the Corcovado National Park Tour, which is not to be missed. The guide was enthusiastic and delivered on his promise of incredible wildlife viewing. Lunch on the beach was fantastic. Cold drinks at a tent camp outside the park were well-earned. We also kayaked on the lagoon one day, which was just okay. We saw only a few interesting birds, despite our guide's best efforts. There also are many hiking trails right on the resort property. We explored one afternoon with the resort's resident dog, who stayed a few steps ahead of us the entire way and treated herself to a dip in a private waterfall at the end of the trail (as did we). Also not to be missed are Lana's early morning yoga classes, held in her breathtaking open-air studio at the top of the resort and the perfect way to start an Osa day.

One of the things we enjoyed most about the resort was meal time. The food was delicious and healthy and eaten in good company around the family-style dining table. We got to know the other resort guests, some of whom we still keep in touch with, and celebrated our anniversary and another couple's wedding on the same day. After the bride and groom shared their wedding cake with the rest of us, the staff surprised us by bringing out a second cake with candles to celebrate our anniversary.

Finally, I have to mention the resort's owner, Lana Wedmore. Her story is amazing and inspirational. Her commitment to Osa and sustainable tourism is admirable. She has created a beautiful, magical place in this remote corner of the world, one which I highly recommend to other adventurous and eco-conscious types.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!