“The real piece of paradise”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Moscow, Russia
“The real piece of paradise”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was our (my family and I) first trip through Costa-Rica, and Luna Lodge literaly overwhelmed us with its amaizing atmosphere, very kind owners and friendly dog Osa :) We've seen a vast range of insects and birds there during the day and night trips. Every evening we tasted always different and delicious dinner. The places around Luna Lodge are dry and appropriate to walk, so we didn't mess our sport shoes at all. I wanna thank Lana for providind this great opportunity for tourists all over the world! I am looking forward to visit this fantastic place again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing Luna Lodge for your recent vacation to the OSA Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Luna Lodge family enjoyed sharing our “…piece of paradise…” with you and we sincerely hope that your experience with us here in our rainforest community will stay with you throughout the coming year .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Lana and her staff were awesome. This is like going to camp, only a thousand times better as the food is wonderful, the quarters are great, and the scenery is breathtaking. I went with my sister to see the Osa, and how we met up with such great group of travelers and staff in this remote setting still surprises us. I read the reviews and was pretty confident we would like it, though a few concerned me. Now that I am back, I miss it!! The very few critical reviews on here baffle me. HEALTHY defines this place. Wonderful food that is mostly pretty good for you, so if you want burgers you won't find them, but I am a Midwestern meat eater and I did fine on the food and got all the calories I needed for serious hiking and fun. Comraderie was super cool. The day long hike in the Osa is a must if you can walk the 12 or so miles (I am 50 and it wasn't bad, though I was a little bit sore and slept well that night). The horseback riding was nice, though they are not quite up to the shape that we are used to back home, but nothing sad or anything as I've seen in some other countries and tourist areas. The beach was great, though the water is rather rough and it isn't a great swimmer's beach. This is remote folks, and you won't find many places left with a beautiful beach stretching miles without buildings and development and lots of people. The wildlife we saw was great! Tapir, all 4 monkeys of costa rica, lots of birds. Never thought mackaws would seem like a non-event as they fly by :) Didn't see some of the spiders or snakes that I actually hoped to, but my sister and others there didn't seem to mind that. All in all, this was a trip I will never forget, and I hope to come back again. Costa Rica and its people are amazing, and Lana and the people she employs are doing something unique and cool to keep that going. Tourism is the main way to keep such treasures, and they are doing it with minimal impact while still providing a touch of luxury. Oh, and I'm not really into Yoga, though I did it one morning with them and it was a very good time. Nice head space and decent workout on an incredible deck perched out over the forest canopy with a view to the sea. Amazing. And Amed, the masseuse, was AWESOME. Get a treatment, especially after hiking all day, and you will probably schedule another. We also stayed a few days over closer to San Juan on our visit to CR. Everyone over there was impressed that we had "done the Osa," and we are still changed forever by it. I have committed to learn some Spanish, add a little Yoga to my life, and remember Pura Vida when my stress builds back home. THANK you Lana, Gary, Amed, and all the rest of you wonderful folks holding down that awesome place for us. I hope our paths cross again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tents, which were the most luxurious tents I have ever stayed in. Barely tents at a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JeffMcMillian
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. For me and my staff it is very important to have your opinion. From your comments we can grow and become better every day. We hope that we will be fortunate to have you as a repeat guest here at Luna Lodge. Remember, we are a huge family, and right now you are part of us.
Oswego, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have been back in my day-to-day life for 2.5 weeks now. (And, in my opinion, my day-to-day life is pretty awesome.) But, I can't help but wish I was still at Luna Lodge! The people, the place, the food, the sounds.... all breathtaking. And, I can't forget Osa, the canine queen who holds court at Luna Lodge.

I don't think I've ever been so completely relaxed and rejuvenated, all at the same time. There were lots of things to do - yoga classes, bird-watching, sunrise kayaking, trail hiking, massage, beachwalking and more - but, it was also wonderful to simply sit by the pool and enjoy the sounds of the rain forest. The food was magnificent. Lana, I'm looking forward to the Luna Lodge cookbook you said is "almost finished." I could go on and on and on.

I ventured to Luna Lodge with a group of people variously connected to our local yoga studio. I had never met some of the travelers in our group. We had a wonderful time together and also enjoyed the guests who weren't a part of our group.

Luna Lodge may not be perfect for those with mobility issues. (However, a man in his 90's was staying at Luna while we were there. I don't know if he climbed all the way up to the yoga platform or the tent cabins. But, he navigated quite well in the rancho and by the pool.) We flew to San Jose, CR, on Saturday then took a charter flight (6-seater planes) to Carate (@ 1hr) on Sunday morning. Members of Lana's staff were there at the airstrip to meet; they drove us the 15-20 minute "ride" (4-wheeling) up to the lodge where, of course, Lana met us with refreshing glasses of cold water!

Room Tip: If you're up for a 4.5 minute climb to your accomodations, ask for bungalow #7; it has a view of...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. We cannot wait to have you back, and spend the time together having fun in here. Big Hug from La Luna!!!
Oswego, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2014

At Luna Lodge, I enjoyed natural beauty, caring, competent staff and management, cool accommodations, waking to the sound of howler monkeys and scarlet macaws, amazing food, great companionship from our yoga retreat group, and some nuzzling from a dog named OSA, all of which made for a unique, adventurous yet relaxing vacation. Would love an encore!

• Stayed January 2014
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing Luna Lodge for your recent vacation to the OSA Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Luna Lodge family enjoyed sharing our “…piece of paradise…” with you and we sincerely hope that your experience with us here in our rainforest community will stay with you throughout the coming year.

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2014

It's all there: fabulous wildlife; primary rainforest, as intact as any in Central America; excellent guides to walk you thru it all; charming, attentive hosts in Lana and her Mom; delicious food -- a good fit for a tropical climate, lots locally grown -- and an elegant setting for meals; bungalows with unrivaled views over forest and ocean. Tents are a good bargain... As a naturalist, I saw gaps in the library, and internet access is shaky, if that matters to you. But who's to quibble in a spot like that!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

As a traveler I usually keep the beautiful treasures of my trips to myself for fear that they will lose their authenticity. The folks here are the real deal, they love this land. Every person who comes here will leave with an addiction for this peninsula. I've been home for 10 days and I can't get this particular lodge and region from my mind. A man at the lodge who had traveled there for many years mentioned that we would experience depression after leaving that lodge. I dismissed this comment. Last night I found myself on lonely planet reading about post travel depression. The sounds of the howler monkeys screeching in the mountains with the macaws filling the skies all the while your perched on a platform with the most beautiful views in every direction. Ive travelled all over the world and I don't say this lightly, the Luna Lodge was the best 6 days of travel I have ever experienced.

• Stayed January 2014
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Of all the places we have had the good fortune to enjoy over the years, Luna Lodge tops our list. We were looking for something unusual, but this exceeded our expectations. The accommodations, excellently prepared food, 'green' sensibility, and thoughtful service on the part of all staff, made this a vacation to remember and tell friends about. The knowledgable guides were particularly helpful on the various trips we took into the forest. And always waiting on our return from a rocky ride back to the Lodge was someone with a tray of cold glasses of water for each of us. We would like to thank Lana and her mom for their genuine interest and concern for us while we were there. We heartily recommend Luna Lodge to anyone looking to see and experience nature up close, and do it in style.

Room Tip: My wife and I, active seniors, chose a cabin rather than a tent. The hike up the steep stone steps...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Lana and the Luna family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
#1 of 6 in Carate
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!