“Overrated”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The lodge is up on a hill and far from the beach. It is expensive, but comparable to other places in Carate. However, for $250 a night, wouldn't you rather be right on the beach and closer to the park? Your chances of seeing wildlife grow exponentially the closer you are to the park boundary. The only hotel right on the beach that physically borders the park is the La Leona Tent Camp, which is equally as nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Otis3000

Reviewed January 21, 2013

After backpacking for five days in Corcovado National Park (entered at Los Patos, exited at La Leona), we booked one night at Luna Lodge. We are budget travelers, so the decision to spend $250 for a night in a "tent" was a difficult one for us. But we were not disappointed. The food was amazing and plenty of it (dinner was heart of palm crepes, mashed potatoes, sauteed broccoli, bruschetta, chicken (which we declined) and sour cream biscuits, all of which was incredibly tasty. Being vegetarian was not a problem at all. The "tent" we stayed in was actually a very nice enclosed platform with a private bathroom. And after sleeping in an actual tent for four nights, it felt like heaven.

We were also very impressed at the "eco" credentials of the lodge. My husband and I both do environmental work so we are very picky about where we stay and making sure that places that tout their "eco" credentials are the real deal. Lana was a pleasure to talk to and the lodge (which is really several small buildings) appeared to maintain a very small footprint. They use mini-hydro and solar systems for their electricity, provide water free of charge (no polluting bottled water), use cloth towels and napkins (no paper waste). The only thing I questioned was the pool, which seems like a needless extravagance, but I'm guessing some people expect such things even in the middle of nowhere in the jungle.

Lana's "White Hawk Project" is an impressive effort to buy land up and down the valley along the boundary of the National Park in order to protect it in perpetuity. After seeing much land converted to palm oil plantations, we were happy to hear that someone was working to protect the amazing valley surrounding the lodge.

We were also very impressed by the local staff, who were all very friendly and helpful. We felt very pampered even during our short stay.

Note: This place is not for everyone. It is in the middle of primary rainforest in a very remote setting. If you are unable to climb steep stairs or expect to have a sanitized room with no bugs, you should consider staying somewhere else. But if you are looking for a truly beautiful and remote oasis where you can feel good about what your money is supporting, then I highly recommend Luna Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin M
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It was a tough decision for me to make the reservation because Luna Lodge is not cheap, I would consider it very expensive. But lured by the video and those beautiful photos on their web site, I decided to book a bungalow for 5 nights nevertheless. I have to say that it definitely was worth it! Luna Lodge is a magic combination of nature, jungle, animals, tranquility, magic, luxurious accomodation, stylish design, sustainability, eco-friendliness, jeeps, Rio Carate, gourmet dinners, high quality tours, hammocks, telescopes, pool, drinks, solar and hydropower, hiking trails, vegetarian food, library, shop, views, landscapes, waterfall, Corcovado, spa, massage and yoga! Whatever you do or don't do, there is always The Nature around you: toucans, monkeys, butterflies, etc. If you love nature but also wish to relax by the pool after a half-day hike in the afternoon sun while waiting for the dinner horn, this is a place to be. But if you hate that there are living things inside your room, be warned that it is in the jungle though. You just need to be careful where you put your hand and feet, shake your boots and bags first. And Luna Lodge provides even a flash light to help you see in the dark :)

I need to recommend the morning yoga. It takes place in the yoga platform with amazing views. I had never done yoga before but it was very inspiring. So I did it again the following morning and bought a DVD so I can carry-on doing that at home also.

Luna Lodge offers a variety of guided tours. We took a few and they all were very good and informative.

The meals and the staff were just fantastic. It is very difficult to understand how each day the kitchen creates magically different meals which are so tasty. Knowing that the nearest supermarket is about 2 hour jeep-drive away. No, the road is no highway, it goes where the Rio Carate let's you... Knowing all this, Lana and her staff are doing a very remarkable job, remembering also what they are doing for the community and the preservation of the nature in addition to this business.

Room Tip: It seems that there are less creatures in the tents because it is more closed structure than the bun...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at Luna Lodge at the end of May. It had been quite a busy season, they told me, but it was quiet whenI was there and, for two nights, I was the only guest. It was an amazing experience. I wanted to experience both the tents and the cabins so I stayed 2 nights in each. The cabins are gorgeous, especially the bathrooms with their little private gardens, but I actually think I liked the tent better. I stayed in one at the very top of the property and it was a hike to get up there but it was worth it. It was incredibly beautiful and the feeling of isolation was just wonderful. I climbed up at least 4 times a day. I think it was 153 steps up. Or maybe 183?? One night I watched a storm move in over the Pacific and was mesmerized. I sat out on the porch for hours with an upturned trashcan for a little table, watching the birds, looking down the river vally towards the ocean. The place is, as everyone says, wonderful, with great attention to detail. The grounds are wild and gorgeous--that kind of wildness that takes a lot of work to maintain. Everywhere you look is a perfectly framed view. The plants are chosen to attract birds and insects, as well as to reinforce the feeling of privacy. Every corner offered up a great photo opportunity. Getting there was an adventure, as one of the rivers was high. It is a looong way from town and you are literally at the end of the road. Here are some things I loved: a hummingbird swooping past me when I was in the shower (he came back later when I was on the toilet); birdwatching with Gary--he is a great guide; fabulous meals; walking the trails around the lodge with a guide dog; walking for hours on the deserted beach; sitting in the pool in the late afternoon with a good book--in the rain; dinners with the family--wonderful conversation and interesting people! This is the epitome of rainforest luxury. One thing I learned--nothing ever dries in the rainforest, even those panties they advertize as dry in an hour. Nope--not even in three days. And worse, I finally pulled them off the towel bar to discover a giant spider had taken up residence. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. When I left, the lodge staff gave me a ride down to the lagoon and carried my suitcase across to meet the taxi because the river had backed up so high it couldn't be forded. What an adventure!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is not the place to go if you want to lay back and relax. However, if you want a great location with awesome beach and jungle plus great excursions like bird watching, kayaking, hiking and the opportunity to share your day's experiences with others over healthy and tasty dinners then you are going to love it. My wife and I spent 5 days/4 nights with our adult daughter between Christmas and New Year Dec. 2012. I don't recommend it for young children. During our stay there were only adults, mostly Americans and some Europeans. Our guides were great as was the entire service staff. Our favorite activities - Early Bird Watching, Kayaking and hiking the Ridge Trail. The photos we took in the Corcovado are amazing. We are already planning a return trip!

Room Tip: Bungalows are the best but may not be worth the price difference vs tents.
1  Thank Oisebad
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The is the second time I have stayed with family members at this lodge, great food, service. Oscar was our guide for both trips into Corcovado national park. Christian and Johanssen provided excellent food and bar service. Great yoga classes with Lana. We stayed in the tents and they were very comfortable. fantastic wildlife viewing in a very bio diverse location. Nice deserted beach close by.

1  Thank cmperdue
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We just came back from Costa Rica and had a wonderful stay at the Luna Lodge. This place is amazing in every way. The location is extraordinary and beautiful. Lana, Willie and the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. The accommodation are fantastic and the food is wonderful. You wake in the morning to Howler monkeys and macaws. If you come to Osa, stay at the Luna Lodge and be sure to visit Corcovada National Park. Gary is a wonderful guide who totally loves what he does. I cannot recommend this place enough. The trip her by 4-wheel drive vehicle is an adventure in itself.

Room Tip: If you enjoy yoga, this is the place for you.
2  Thank Paul N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!