“Loved the experience”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is not the place to go if you want to lay back and relax. However, if you want a great location with awesome beach and jungle plus great excursions like bird watching, kayaking, hiking and the opportunity to share your day's experiences with others over healthy and tasty dinners then you are going to love it. My wife and I spent 5 days/4 nights with our adult daughter between Christmas and New Year Dec. 2012. I don't recommend it for young children. During our stay there were only adults, mostly Americans and some Europeans. Our guides were great as was the entire service staff. Our favorite activities - Early Bird Watching, Kayaking and hiking the Ridge Trail. The photos we took in the Corcovado are amazing. We are already planning a return trip!

Room Tip: Bungalows are the best but may not be worth the price difference vs tents.
1  Thank Oisebad

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The is the second time I have stayed with family members at this lodge, great food, service. Oscar was our guide for both trips into Corcovado national park. Christian and Johanssen provided excellent food and bar service. Great yoga classes with Lana. We stayed in the tents and they were very comfortable. fantastic wildlife viewing in a very bio diverse location. Nice deserted beach close by.

1  Thank cmperdue
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We just came back from Costa Rica and had a wonderful stay at the Luna Lodge. This place is amazing in every way. The location is extraordinary and beautiful. Lana, Willie and the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. The accommodation are fantastic and the food is wonderful. You wake in the morning to Howler monkeys and macaws. If you come to Osa, stay at the Luna Lodge and be sure to visit Corcovada National Park. Gary is a wonderful guide who totally loves what he does. I cannot recommend this place enough. The trip her by 4-wheel drive vehicle is an adventure in itself.

Room Tip: If you enjoy yoga, this is the place for you.
2  Thank Paul N
Reviewed August 26, 2012

It has been over a month and a half since I left Luna Lodge and it is the part of my month long trip in Costa Rica that I miss the most. I spent 5 days in the area, which 3 were staying at La Sirena Ranger Station since I did the 7hr hike back and forth to see the amazing Corcovado. From the moment I stepped off my taxi and entered Luna Lodge I never wanted to leave. You are one with nature. All the staff are the nicest and most amazing people ever, where on every meal or every time you enter the lobby you are warmly welcomed and help you out in any way they can. Lana is amazing. Her drive to help conserve the area, her passion for nature and animals is something that is very admirable. You develop great friendships while staying here as you have your meals family style, and get a chance to talk and get to know people from around the world. The bungalows are a dream come true. They are private, excellent conditions bungalows with a platform in each room overlooking the jungle and the pacific ocean. wow! I have to admit walking in there that I never wanted to leave. Luna Lodge became a very, very special place in my heart and I know it will be for all that visit it. It is more than a getaway or a trip destination, it's an adventure in which inspires every bit of you and brings you back to the beauty of the simplicity of life.

Room Tip: Chose a Bungalow. Mosquito nets are provided. Definitely need bug repellent for outdoor night activi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lination1
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Never have I visited such a wonderful place. The staff here are great and the owner is wonderful. I found it to be real value for money because you just can't replicate this kind of place. A true gem of a lodge in the most perfect setting. I will return and urge you all to visit.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colin C
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Looking back after enjoying such a wonderful stay at Luna Lodge I have to laugh at myself for all the worries I had about going there. The remoteness of the lodge, the mosquitos, the heat and humidity, what footwear to take and so on. This all melts away as one lands in Carate to be greated with enthusiasm and smiles. The scarlet macaws take ones breath away and they are only the start of ones unbelievable bird watching. Up at the lodge after a cold glass of water one is taken to ones lovely accomodation and you realize that one is safely in the hands of a very professional team. They are there to make ones stay as easy, comforable and special as they can and they succeed beyond all expectations. The surounding area is quite possibly one of the most unspoilt tropical rainforests in the World. This was confirmed by the fact the BBC was filming there during our stay. Lana herself is committing all she can to saving the valley where her lodge is as the natural corridor that it has been for birds and annimals since time began. She is doing this in a sensitive generous way by leaving the few locals who live along the valley side to continue with their lives there for as long as they wish to stay. The project to secure the valley from developement is called the White Hawk Project and I wish it every success. All I can say is that I am longing to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MielCF
Reviewed April 24, 2012

It has been two weeks since I left beautiful Luna Lodge and the amazing Osa Peninsula. I have thought many times about the work that is being done there by Lana and her staff, and the wonderful message and inspiration they bring to their guests through their hospitality and passion for preserving that beautiful area.
As a 50-something woman who was travelling alone, I was a little bit anxious about how I would “fit in” or meet people. On my first night there, I sat at the bar and Javier was so kind as he made delicious fruit smoothies and told me about some of the hikes and activities I would enjoy during the week. I learned later that Javier is a young man of many talents, as he was the one who showed us many of the beautiful birds during the Early Morning Bird Watch on the platform.
As the week went on, I got to know Gary as a wonderful guide who knows his stuff. He is incredibly knowledgeable and really knows how to find the creatures and tell the stories—whether it’s insects during the night hikes, elusive Squirrel Monkeys or Poison Dart frogs in Corcovado, or crazy plants that have symbiotic relationships with ants—Gary has a way of showcasing the jewels of Osa and telling wonderful stories to go along with his great findings. I am already looking forward to my next hike with him!
In addition to the very nice wait staff in the dining room and the knowledgeable guides, I must also mention the unseen attendants who tidied my tent every day while I was off exploring. When I returned to my tent, my bed was made, my towels were folded, and my bathroom had been cleaned. The very cute folded towels, complete with fresh hibiscus accents, made me smile from ear to ear (and take many photos). What a nice touch.
And I can’t leave out the very enjoyable conversations I had with Lana's mom, who is so open and had so much to say about the merchandise in the shop, as well as her stories about Luna Lodge. I also enjoyed a conversation with Lana as she told the story of how she ended up at the Osa Peninsula and eventually came to build Luna Lodge. I know that, as the proprietor, she and her staff are so busy doing all of the “behind-the scenes” work that we guests all take for granted—but one afternoon Lana took the time to answer my questions and talk to me about her amazing journey.
Luna Lodge seems to attract folks who are open, adventurous, and kind....and I can say that I now have new friends from Costa Rica, Canada and Germany! I thoroughly enjoyed each individual I met, and I am already looking forward to returning. This is a first-class establishment run by a genuine, caring owner and her staff.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne468
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!