“Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Paradise”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We spent 4 night/5 days at Luna Lodge. It really was a dream destination. There were 30 of us that travelled from various parts of Canada/USA for John and Rachel's beautiful wedding. The staff at Luna Lodge truly make you feel at home. They ensured we were entertained, well feed and "hydrated"! I was able to take yoga with Lana 3 times and it was, by far, my best yoga classes to date! I really hope I can come back for teacher training or a retreat some day.
Another thing that made the trip very special was the care each staff member took on the day of JOhn and Rachel's wedding. No detail was overlooked!

I look forward to returning someday!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in the tent area which was nice and rustic! I can't say that creepy craw...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Puerto Viejo
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Luna Lodge is an absolutely amazing place if you want to be away from all, surrounded by deep jungle and awesome views. I was there beginning of February for 6 days participating in a guided retreat program. The yoga platform high above the forest with the ocean far on the horizon, is stunning turning your practice into a truly profound experience. I had some exceptional encounters with a troop of spider monkeys, howlers and a gang of coatis (3 moms, each one with 3 babies), apart of countless birds, interesting insects and a myriad of flora while daily exploring the trails. The owner Lana impressed me with her deep passion about her White Hawk Project (I had also two sightings of the white hawk during my stay!!!) preserving as much land as possible next to Corcovado National Park. Apart of the natural experience, lodging is beautiful and the meals are really yummy. Being myself an owner of a small (ecologically run) retreat place on the Caribbean coast of CR (Chimuri Beach Retreat), I know what it takes to care about nature and the love to make a stay an exceptional experience for guests. Lana and her staff are doing just that!

Room Tip: For choosing one of the tents you should be in good physical condition as you have to climb a good a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just returned from a fantastic week at Luna Lodge and am having serious withdrawal!

We arrived to a warm welcome (and glasses of cold water), and left with hugs, tears and promises to return. The staff at Luna Lodge are big-hearted and highly customer-service focused.

I ADORED our bungalow, especially the open-air bathroom and shower-with-a-view. Though we didn't have a mosquito problem, the nets around our beds did help keep the little lizards off the sheets! I spent a lot of time reading, thinking and resting in the rocking chairs on our little porch.

At Luna you can be as busy or as relaxed as you like. There are plenty of optional activities that are reasonably priced and available by pre-arrangement (no pressure). Members of our yoga retreat group enjoyed hiking in Corcovado, surfing, kayaking, bird-watching and more. The saltwater pool and on-property waterfall were nice ways to cool off.

Carmen and her kitchen team cooked up some fantastic meals. I especially enjoyed breakfast ("starters" of fresh fruit, homemade granola, yogurt and coffee, followed by cooked-to-order egg dishes, pancakes, french toast, etc.) and lunch (light, fresh, brightly colored and delectable). All meals were included. Alcoholic drinks and smoothies were U.S.-priced, but made with fresh juices and worth every penny.

I appreciate Luna's eco-friendliness -- buildings made from naturally fallen trees and local materials, hydro and solar-generated power, low lighting, biodegradable t.p. and other products, recycling, etc.

I'll never forget the feeling of practicing yoga on Luna's platform high on a hillside overlooking the rainforest, with a slice of ocean view. It was SO inspirational.

All in all, it was a truly magical place to stay, and I look forward to return trips in the future.

Big thanks to Lana and all the Luna Lodge staff.

Note: Luna is a nature-lover's compound -- NOT a luxury, Americanized resort. If bugs freak you out or you're looking for sophistication and exciting nightlife, it's not for you.

Room Tip: The platform tents and hacienda rooms are fine, but in my opinion, the bungalows are well worth the...
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were with a yoga retreat for a week. On arrival we were greeted by the owner and a cool glass of water. Just inviting! The 10 of us can't say enough about this eco tourism paradise. We spead out and experienced the tents, bungalos and hacienda. All of us were most happy. Each day the dwellings were cleaned, beds made, and fresh ammenities. The daily ritual of eating was inviting by appearance and taste. You will not go hungry. We were treated like VIP's. Each day we saw and heard the sounds of the beautiful rainforest. The lodge has many paths that one may take to visit the waterfalls. "Osa" will guide you if needed. Also, we experienced several of the tours. Our guides were professional, friendly and knowledgable. They pointed out animals we would have missed. Amazing! We rate the yoga platform,lodge,food,spa,atmosphere,and staff at 110%.
Lana, thank you for sharing your vision.
.........we love you Wilson.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I just got back last night from a week at the Luna Lodge. I cannot even beleive that I was so priveledged not only to stay in a place with 10% of the earth's biodiversity - but that I would be so well cared for by the staff and owner of the lodge.

I was part of a yoga retreat of 26 people. Lana Wedmore, the owner and her staff made sure that the transition from our busy lives to the calm of her amazing lodge was effortless on our part - not an easy thing to do when your lodge is in the middle of the rainforest!! We were met at the airport by drivers who knew exactly what to do - and who went were. We were transported by groups of 5 in prop planes to Carate - met by Luna Staff in Land rovers and taken to the lodge where we were greeted with glasses of icy cold water. Just getting there is an adventure!

The accomodations were amazing and comfortable. However, if you want airconditioning, late night partying and hangovers, this is not your place. Luna Lodge is all about educating the traveler about all the wonders of this amazing rain forest. There are no mosquitos - REALLY - because of the lack of standing water and the cool breezes from the pacific. I can't imagine anywhere else where you can be sleeping on amountain in the rainforest and still hear the crashing of the waves.

We did Yoga 2X a day from an amazing space that is created for such activities. Many of us just hung out there during the day, reading and talking amoungst spectacular views, cool breezes and watching the monkeys, birds and other animals below.

Their pool is delicious. It's a salt water pool that is cool in temparature and design. Totally solar powered, it is beautifully surrounded by lucious gardens.

The food is local, healthy and delicious. Every meal served with attention to taste and presentation. Fresh fruit and vegtables from the Luna gardens are always featured. The fish and chicken dishes are amazing. Lana's Homemade Granola alone is worth the trip!!

The most exceptional part of the trip though, is the personal attention from Lana, her Mom ( We call her "Mom") and the rest of staff. Oscar and Gary are exceptional guides and are well versed in the ecology that surrounds you. Every tour, excursion and trip is managed with such precision and care for your well-being that it is really touching.

Going to an Eco -Lodge is all about learning about the sustainability of the planet and the amazing ecology that surrounds you. Lana and her staff have such a passion for this that I have brought this home into my "normal" life.

I had an adventure - a wonderful experience (not to mention seeing 4 kinds of monkeys up close...) but what I brought home was a love for this corner of the world and a hope that I can help to preserve it for generations to come.

So - Come to Luna Lodge - and see for yourself!! I can't wait to bring my whole family.

Room Tip: You have a choice of Bungalows, Hacienda rooms or Tents. I had a Bungalow and highly recommend it...
1 Thank PJ C
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is not the real Osa but a "pretend to be" eco-lodge. There are so many reasons NOT to stay here. The tent I stayed in was at the very top of an extremely steep climb. The lighting at night is poor and frankly I would pack my things for the entire day to avoid this climb.The owner will try and suck every last dollar out of you and will not tell you the truth to keep you spending. I soon realized this hotel was an expensive substitute for seeing animals and experiencing the beautiful natural splendours of the Osa, I researched on-line that the best place to go is the Sirena National Park. I told the owner (an American lady) that I wanted to cut my stay at her lodge short so that I could go to Sierna and she lied on several occasions that the plane that flies from Puerto Jumeniz was not available for days, that the Park Office was closed, and that the Park lodging was full for months. I had a funny feeling about these answers I received, so I doubled-checked myself and all these things she had told me turned out to be lies! I am dumbfounded that a grown woman would lie to someone that was already paying her over 750$ to stay here for 4 days. Yep - you will fork out loads of cash to stay here. She wants you to book her expensive walking tours around her lodge, like skip the bird watching and save yourself 40$. They walk you to a platform 50 feet from the hotel - what a rip-off! I also would NOT buy the sales pitch and video that she made all of us guests watch one night to support her charity to save the jaguar called "Project White Hawk". She wants to use the money she collects to buy the land that is presently the home of several poor Costa Rican's in front of her hotel so that she can build more rooms and cut down the forest to have a slight line to the beach. If you really want to save the home of the jaguar - give your money to a local NGO or support the Government of Osa and the entire Park by staying there. It is ridiculous to think that selling off forest in chunks to non-Costa Rican's is a way of protecting a forest and the animals it shelters. Furthermore, the jaguar lives in the denser jungle far away from this hotel. If you want the real Osa, head to the Sirena National Park and give your dollars to the Government so that they can support and protect their forests.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Nicolette C
Luna-Lodge, Owner at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time and writing a review.
We are considered an eco- lodge for various reasons, and we also received the five point certification for sustainable tourism by the government of Costa Rica. One of the examples is that our energy is provided 100% by hydro power.
About the White Hawk Project:
The mission statement of the project is to preserve and protect the biological diversity in the tropical rain forest on the Peninsula de Osa in the Carate River Valley making a wildlife preservation corridor adjoining Corcovado National Park with the surrounding properties.
By extending the protected area we are able to create more habitats, to maintain migratory pathways and we support gene flow. We do work together closely with the people living on those properties right now and one of our objectives is to respect the rights and privileges of current owners by allowing those, who presently live on their property, to remain there for their life time.

Our guests are from all over the world and are amazing people. Potential visitors, please continue to read our other reviews to see how wonderful a trip to Luna can really be.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I just spent 4 days at Luna Lodge and it was fantastic! This is the place to stay if you want to immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of a lush forest. Awake to the sounds of Howler Monkeys and watch colorful birds from your bungalow or while eating meals. The lodge represents to me what eco tourism is all about.

The location is isolated, but that's the main appeal. The drive from Puerto Jimenez is about 90 minutes but Carate also has air service. We used a taxi so we could enjoy sightseeing on the way. Located on the edge of Corcovado National Park, the Lodge sits on a hill with a view of the Pacific. The road up to the Lodge is steep, but don't fret about that.

The grounds are neatly organized with beautiful tropical plants and stone path ways, and you can hike to two waterfalls located on the property. We stayed in a very comfortable bungalow with lights, shower, and flush toilet. They also have tents available. Some sit higher on the hill, so if climbing steps is a challenge for you ask for a tent or bungalow closer to the main lodge. This is low impact eco-tourism, so the rooms are not air conditioned. Don't worry your body will adjust and there was often a nice breeze from the ocean. Listen to the amazing sounds of the forest instead of the hum of an air conditioner! It is very dark at night, so bring a small flashlight and I recommend you arrive during daylight so you can learn where everything is located.

The meals are fresh and healthy, and the staff is friendly and eager to assist. Lots of delicious local fruits and vegetables.

Lana offers several activities like hikes in Corcovado, bird watching, kayaking with knowledgeable guides. These activities are very reasonably priced compared to other lodges we stayed in Africa or the States. We rested one day and saw hummingbirds, scarlet macaws, mot mots, honeycreepers from our bungalow, so the bird watching is quite good. We also saw monkeys from the main lodge area.

We definitely will return.

Room Tip: Most bungalows have great views. We stayed in #1 and had great birdwatching from the deck.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BlueRidgeTourist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!