“Amazing, Inspiring and my new home away from home...”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I just got back last night from a week at the Luna Lodge. I cannot even beleive that I was so priveledged not only to stay in a place with 10% of the earth's biodiversity - but that I would be so well cared for by the staff and owner of the lodge.

I was part of a yoga retreat of 26 people. Lana Wedmore, the owner and her staff made sure that the transition from our busy lives to the calm of her amazing lodge was effortless on our part - not an easy thing to do when your lodge is in the middle of the rainforest!! We were met at the airport by drivers who knew exactly what to do - and who went were. We were transported by groups of 5 in prop planes to Carate - met by Luna Staff in Land rovers and taken to the lodge where we were greeted with glasses of icy cold water. Just getting there is an adventure!

The accomodations were amazing and comfortable. However, if you want airconditioning, late night partying and hangovers, this is not your place. Luna Lodge is all about educating the traveler about all the wonders of this amazing rain forest. There are no mosquitos - REALLY - because of the lack of standing water and the cool breezes from the pacific. I can't imagine anywhere else where you can be sleeping on amountain in the rainforest and still hear the crashing of the waves.

We did Yoga 2X a day from an amazing space that is created for such activities. Many of us just hung out there during the day, reading and talking amoungst spectacular views, cool breezes and watching the monkeys, birds and other animals below.

Their pool is delicious. It's a salt water pool that is cool in temparature and design. Totally solar powered, it is beautifully surrounded by lucious gardens.

The food is local, healthy and delicious. Every meal served with attention to taste and presentation. Fresh fruit and vegtables from the Luna gardens are always featured. The fish and chicken dishes are amazing. Lana's Homemade Granola alone is worth the trip!!

The most exceptional part of the trip though, is the personal attention from Lana, her Mom ( We call her "Mom") and the rest of staff. Oscar and Gary are exceptional guides and are well versed in the ecology that surrounds you. Every tour, excursion and trip is managed with such precision and care for your well-being that it is really touching.

Going to an Eco -Lodge is all about learning about the sustainability of the planet and the amazing ecology that surrounds you. Lana and her staff have such a passion for this that I have brought this home into my "normal" life.

I had an adventure - a wonderful experience (not to mention seeing 4 kinds of monkeys up close...) but what I brought home was a love for this corner of the world and a hope that I can help to preserve it for generations to come.

So - Come to Luna Lodge - and see for yourself!! I can't wait to bring my whole family.

Room Tip: You have a choice of Bungalows, Hacienda rooms or Tents. I had a Bungalow and highly recommend it...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PJ C

Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is not the real Osa but a "pretend to be" eco-lodge. There are so many reasons NOT to stay here. The tent I stayed in was at the very top of an extremely steep climb. The lighting at night is poor and frankly I would pack my things for the entire day to avoid this climb.The owner will try and suck every last dollar out of you and will not tell you the truth to keep you spending. I soon realized this hotel was an expensive substitute for seeing animals and experiencing the beautiful natural splendours of the Osa, I researched on-line that the best place to go is the Sirena National Park. I told the owner (an American lady) that I wanted to cut my stay at her lodge short so that I could go to Sierna and she lied on several occasions that the plane that flies from Puerto Jumeniz was not available for days, that the Park Office was closed, and that the Park lodging was full for months. I had a funny feeling about these answers I received, so I doubled-checked myself and all these things she had told me turned out to be lies! I am dumbfounded that a grown woman would lie to someone that was already paying her over 750$ to stay here for 4 days. Yep - you will fork out loads of cash to stay here. She wants you to book her expensive walking tours around her lodge, like skip the bird watching and save yourself 40$. They walk you to a platform 50 feet from the hotel - what a rip-off! I also would NOT buy the sales pitch and video that she made all of us guests watch one night to support her charity to save the jaguar called "Project White Hawk". She wants to use the money she collects to buy the land that is presently the home of several poor Costa Rican's in front of her hotel so that she can build more rooms and cut down the forest to have a slight line to the beach. If you really want to save the home of the jaguar - give your money to a local NGO or support the Government of Osa and the entire Park by staying there. It is ridiculous to think that selling off forest in chunks to non-Costa Rican's is a way of protecting a forest and the animals it shelters. Furthermore, the jaguar lives in the denser jungle far away from this hotel. If you want the real Osa, head to the Sirena National Park and give your dollars to the Government so that they can support and protect their forests.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nicolette C
Luna-Lodge, Owner at Luna Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing a review.
We are considered an eco- lodge for various reasons, and we also received the five point certification for sustainable tourism by the government of Costa Rica. One of the examples is that our energy is provided 100% by hydro power.
About the White Hawk Project:
The mission statement of the project is to preserve and protect the biological diversity in the tropical rain forest on the Peninsula de Osa in the Carate River Valley making a wildlife preservation corridor adjoining Corcovado National Park with the surrounding properties.
By extending the protected area we are able to create more habitats, to maintain migratory pathways and we support gene flow. We do work together closely with the people living on those properties right now and one of our objectives is to respect the rights and privileges of current owners by allowing those, who presently live on their property, to remain there for their life time.

Our guests are from all over the world and are amazing people. Potential visitors, please continue to read our other reviews to see how wonderful a trip to Luna can really be.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I just spent 4 days at Luna Lodge and it was fantastic! This is the place to stay if you want to immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of a lush forest. Awake to the sounds of Howler Monkeys and watch colorful birds from your bungalow or while eating meals. The lodge represents to me what eco tourism is all about.

The location is isolated, but that's the main appeal. The drive from Puerto Jimenez is about 90 minutes but Carate also has air service. We used a taxi so we could enjoy sightseeing on the way. Located on the edge of Corcovado National Park, the Lodge sits on a hill with a view of the Pacific. The road up to the Lodge is steep, but don't fret about that.

The grounds are neatly organized with beautiful tropical plants and stone path ways, and you can hike to two waterfalls located on the property. We stayed in a very comfortable bungalow with lights, shower, and flush toilet. They also have tents available. Some sit higher on the hill, so if climbing steps is a challenge for you ask for a tent or bungalow closer to the main lodge. This is low impact eco-tourism, so the rooms are not air conditioned. Don't worry your body will adjust and there was often a nice breeze from the ocean. Listen to the amazing sounds of the forest instead of the hum of an air conditioner! It is very dark at night, so bring a small flashlight and I recommend you arrive during daylight so you can learn where everything is located.

The meals are fresh and healthy, and the staff is friendly and eager to assist. Lots of delicious local fruits and vegetables.

Lana offers several activities like hikes in Corcovado, bird watching, kayaking with knowledgeable guides. These activities are very reasonably priced compared to other lodges we stayed in Africa or the States. We rested one day and saw hummingbirds, scarlet macaws, mot mots, honeycreepers from our bungalow, so the bird watching is quite good. We also saw monkeys from the main lodge area.

We definitely will return.

Room Tip: Most bungalows have great views. We stayed in #1 and had great birdwatching from the deck.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueRidgeTourist
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Luna Lodge in Carate de Osa is a fantastic place in the middle of the pristine real Costa Rican jungle, with all the facilities and the best food you ever trie. The location is gret for the observation of wildlife and great ocean views. Lana and Gary are very friendly and know everything about things to do like tours and activities.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned yesterday from Costa Rica, where we stayed at Luna Lodge for four nights - the most improbable place I've ever been, and likely the most remote. Getting there is an adventure in itself. We flew into Puerto Jimenez - a landing strip nestled between two rows of houses, shops and a striking cemetary. We rode from Pueto Jimenez in a four-wheel drive. The roads are even worse than you can imagine, even after reading in every source available about how bad the roads are, but that's half the fun. We must have crossed a dozen or more streams that we just drove through. There were points I wasn't sure where the road was, but we just plowed through enjoying the birds, monkeys, herds of cattle, horses, and pasture lands up against the rain forest along the way. How the materials for the lodge made their way along this road is only part of the improbability. Even more improbable is how anything was built on this mountainside - that's a story you'll hear while you're there. You'll see the evidence - spectacular platform tent sites, wonderful bungalows, and the lodge itself - all built right in the rain forest - but even now it's hard to believe that such a place was built where Luna Lodge is. That it all came out so beautifully is even more unbelievable. The people at Luna love the rainforest and make sure that you will love it, too. We spent a day with Gary in Cordovaca - one of my most mememorable days ever. I'll never forget Gary with his lens, stopping in mid-sentence, cocking his head, and bringing something exotic into focus that we didn't know was anywhere near. And then there's Lana, evangelist of the rain forest, who built the place. Luna Lodge is her baby, and she does everything possible to make sure everybody there loves it as much as she does. She loves everything about the place - including the bugs. If you really object to crawly things, you might not like this place - and if you need TV and entertainment other than nature and good conversation, it might not be the right place for you; but otherwise it's the best.

Room Tip: Bungalows 1, 2, 3, & 4 have the fewest stairs. Remember the lodge is on a mountainside, and the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kateban
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I loved our Luna Lodge experience and would recommend it to anyone that's looking for an opportunity to experience a very special part of Costa Rica in a beautiful lodge with great, friendly staff, delicious and healthy meals and the opportunity to partake in activities like hiking and bird watching with fantastic local, capable guides. We do a lot of travelling and I'd say the visit to Luna Lodge is up there with the top couple of travel experiences we've had. I compare it to an experience we had in the Okavanga Delta in Botswana Africa. Starting with the 2 hour drive from Puerto Jiminez (an adventure in itself), to the yoga class with Lana, the hike into the Corcovado National Park and the upper Ridge hike with Oscar, bird watching with Gary, getting to know the guests from all over the world at meal time, and the beautiful bungalow. What a place!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow and it was fantastic. The chairs on the deck looked out over the trees and w...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was such an amazing trip! I was there with five friends in early February, 2012. Lana, Willie, Gary, and all of the staff were incredibly gracious - and totally dedicated to preserving and growing this unique space of biodiversity - and to sharing its wonder with guests.
The air was full of the sounds of summer insects. We saw exquisite flowers, spider and howler monkeys, an anteater, white-lipped peccaries, king vultures, scarlet-winged macaws, ibises, hummingbird nests, and many vibrantly colored small birds, which we saw on the birdwatching tours with a guide and a powerful spotting scope. We stayed in one of the beautifully constructed thatched-roof bungalows. We did have a cute resident lizard or two, but no mosquitoes. The shower is completely private to the bungalow, but opens out onto a small lush garden.The food, prepared by Carmen and her staff, was fresh, creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. Rosie's massage was wonderful; as were Lana's yoga classes! We were amazed at the effort it took to carve this paradise out of the rainforest in this out0of-the-way place-- all materials carried in; swimming pool dug by hand, etc. Absolutely amazing!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!