“Park in Costa rica”

and up
8-Day Costa Rica Natural Wonders Adventure Hike
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Carate
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I traveled to the park by airplane with a nice couple that was staying at the resort I was at, Luna Lodge. There were many people on the trails and in the park, so it was a bit like Disney land but no rides. Yes I seen an ant eater until the crowd rushed it and it ran away, Yes I did see a tapir, but we had to crawl and look at it quickly so not to get reported as to spending to long with it. 5 shore birds on the ocean, and a few in the trees.
I think the lack of animals and birds was due to so many people in the park, and you must have a guide with you at all times, so that makes the large groups hiking thru the 3 allowed trails, heavily congested.
Maybe you will have a better experience at a different time then I, was there from 8 am to 6 pm.

6  Thank diver01

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Positive: The wildlife and our guide Carlos Pacheco! just so easy to spot different species. We saw sloths, howler and spider monkeys, a giant sleepy tapir, a viper eating a lizard, python, countless birds ( a hawk flew into frame as i was recording monkeys!).

Negative: lots of tourists on some trails, we could not stay overnight because you must book at least a month in advance.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have little to say that hasn't been said about this superlative place in reviews below. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and is absolutely packed with flora and fauna - much of which you'd have great difficult seeing anywhere else in the world in such numbers.

We took a boat ride to Sirena and San Pedrillo stations and hiked from there. Guides aren't strictly necessary, but helpful to point out the sights. I'd say they're good for first-timers, but thereafter go on your own, and at your own place. For campers, I'd advise you get your permits and gear sorted well ahead of time. Photographers: Bring rain gear. Even in the dry season, Corcovado can get very wet (and always humid).

Of course, the park is not easy to get to. Thankfully so, as it protects it from industry and being overrun by humans. But that also means it's not for the timid. Don't get me wrong, there are people of all ages and sizes who go there, but you'd best be able to hike in the heat (and get up early in the morning) if you want to really experience this gem.

1  Thank kerux
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This park is fabulous! With the location on the Osa peninsula it makes it the best kept park in the country due to it's remoteness. We were very fortunate in that we saw almost all the park had to offer with the exception of the big cats. Although a guide may not be necessary I would highly recommend one, we used Sucros Tours. Our guide Bolivar had the expertise and knowledge of where to find the animals. If we would have requested to see a Zebra I think he would have tracked one down. They provide so much more to your experience in the park.
The hike to the Sirena ranger station is a must if your going all this way and I also highly recommend a 1-2 night stay before hiking out. But be prepared, this is not a five star hotel and some area's are showing signs of wear. The cook Flor has to be one of the hardest working individuals there; preparing, cooking, and cleaning three great meals a day is no easy achievement in that type of setting. She may not be the cook when you visit, but appreciate what they do.
Expect to be up early (4-4:30) in order to see the forest/jungle come alive with the sounds of monkey's and the activities of everything else this place has to offer.
If you have the time and energy, see this park on foot, not the lazy man's path by visiting from plane or boat. The hiking will make you appreciate more of the area around you.

2  Thank rettup
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Boat ride was wonderful, humpback whales, dolphins. Hiking was pretty easy and saw lots of wildlife and birds.