To stay at Finca Exotica is to immerse yourself in a truly unique and special place.
Firstly one must consider that Finca was not designed to be a commercial hotel, like so many other establishments. Rather it was carefully designed by Marcus, a visionary architect, to be a place for people from all walks of life to come together and simply be happy. The passion and care taken in creating and running this place is clearly evident from the moment you arrive, from the beautiful grounds to the warm welcome from the staff who instantly treat you like family. Truly there is no way to describe such a place, but my stay has inspired me to try so that you as a fellow traveller might come and discover the magic for yourself.
The rainforest of Costa Rica and it’s wealth of amazing wildlife is truly spectacular to behold, and Finca Exotica facilitates this perfectly. There were always experienced local guides to hand, who seemed to have an intimate knowledge of the ecosystem and the astounding ability to spot even the most cryptic of species. I loved hiking the many jungle trails, kayaking on the lagoon, and visiting Corcovado National Park. I really felt like I was able to get close to nature and encounter animals too wonderful and numerous to describe. As an environmental scientist I lost all scientific objectivity and experienced pure joy when, drinking lemongrass tea on the viewing platform at the main house, I was able to spot seven different species of tropical bird. I saw Golden Hooded Tanagers, Blue Dacnis, Grey Palm Tanagers, Cherrie’s Tanagers, Golden-naped Woodpeckers, Red Legged Honeycreepers and Bannanaquits flitting about in the palm trees just above my head! Just by being at Finca it is hard not to be fascinated and fall in love with nature.
The food was delicious and clearly lovingly prepared by Coco and Tomas (the resident chefs). The dishes I had always included a range of fantastic exotic fruits and vegetables from in the garden. I would highly recommend taking a guided garden tour as it’s just fascinating to learn about all of the different types of plants- there are a large number of fruits and berries growing around the lodges and tiki tents, and you can pick and eat them as you’re walking around during the day which is something I found unique and really fun!
Creativity in all its forms is actively encouraged. There is a well stocked library of books, so you’re never short of anything to read. I am also an artist and I found plenty of creative inspiration, painting on the deck with a view of the ocean and playing the musical instruments that are free to use at the main house. Everyone usually sits together during meal times, and there was always stimulating conversation and ambiance.
By coming here you will not experience a generic and impersonal service dictated by a corporate marketing strategy, nor will you find a clinically clean and controlled environment. What you will find is character, adventure and a family of passionate staff who will welcome you and make sure you have a wonderful experience. I cannot recommend staying at Finca Exotica highly enough. By being there good things happen.
Thank you Gabby and Marcus for a wonderful stay! I will be coming back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Finca Exotica eco lodge is a Wildlife Refuge property in this pristine area of Costa Rica, and the closest place to Corcovado National Park accessible by car.Our beach lodge is equipped to meet all of your needs – be it a romantic couple’s escape, a group retreat, a professional conference or a family vacation. Our facilities surround our central meeting place, Casa Grande, which hosts the organic food restaurant with a communal dining table and stretches out to an amphitheater suited for presentations and lectures by day and dance parties by night. Between them is the bar and together they all encompass the terrace where you can lounge under the open sky or swing in a hamock in the shades of almond trees, while Scarlett Macaws are feeding on them. Tents, cabins, rentals and other facilities stem out from this centerpiece to provide easy access near the beach, an isolated meditation ambiance and quaint trails that lead you through the labyrinth of exotic plant life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire and Booking.com so you can book your Finca Exotica Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Exotica Hotel Carate
- Finca Exotica Ecolodge Costa Rica/Carate