“Jungle Haven”

Finca Exotica Ecolodge
Oberlin, Ohio
“Jungle Haven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was so impressed with so many wonderful things about this place! The accomodations, the food, the concern for the experience and comfort of those staying there. I was on a solo trip in a 4x4 and may have been a bit too adventurous in terms of my trip up the peninsula to get to the location, but wow was the trip worth it. The jungle outside the sheers keeping out the mosquitoes offered amazing views of wildlife and greenery. Growing wild, gorgeous flowers, reading in the hammock on the deck outside the sleeping area I saw Macaws and a shiney black furred creature the staff identified for me later as a rare siting, He walked the path outside of my outdoor shower ten feet from me looking over his shoulder at the hammock. Toucans, Macaws within 15 feet of me, gourmet vegetarian fare much of the ingredients grown on the property organically; a roaring then peaceful beach I could see and hear before I went to sleep, and while I tried out Yoga. Day trips/activities ( guide to go to Corcovado, 2 hour horse rides on the beach with a guide, etc.) were wonderful including just spending time in the water or investigating the beach and crocodiles in the lagoon. Some of the folks visiting smarter than I stayed longer. Next time so will I. Thanks to everyone!

Room Tip: Get the Tiki tent up on the hill above the Casa Grande decks and socializing/dining/kitchen area - t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review! You were a pleasure to have around here. You really made the most of your time here, it was great to see! We hope to see you again in the not so far future, pura vida!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

As wildlife and hiker enthusiasts, we chose the Corcovado rainforest to explore on our first visit to Costa Rica. Luckily, we chose to stay at Finca Exotica, located about a 1 mile beach walk from the south entrance to the park. Finca arranged for entrance to the park and for our guide which was without doubt...an experience of a lifetime,...many thanks Eric and Phoebe!

Finca has jungle elegance..each building and bungalow is a work of art in bamboo. Wildlife often strolls through the grounds...one morning an anteater. Very comfortable beds with mosquito nets, regardless, we had no problems with bugs, nor had we heard of that problem from other guests. Also, the tap water is tasty and drinkable for tourists...again no problems heard from other guests.

In fact, the other guest were an incredibly interesting and amiable bunch of all ages and nationalities. We would generally discuss our explorations of the forest and show photos over meals. Rarely did I notice folks missing a meal at Finca! All the foods were fresh, colorful, unique and healthful. Real artistry in the kitchen!...thanks Coco! Finca's staff was hospitable and generous at every opportunity but also allowed privacy and the freedom to feel relaxed and at home. Gosh, I wish I was there right NOW!

Room Tip: Each room is unique. Be surprised!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review, thank you! We do our best to render a great jungle experience to our guests and we are incredibly pleased to hear that we did good with you guys! Hope to see you again soon….Pura vida……
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I visited Finca Exotica for only two nights at the beginning of December, I wish I could have stayed there longer, this is definitely the best place in Costa Rica I have visited and one of my most favourite places ever! I was travelling alone on my way to Panama with a rented 4x4 and decided to spend a couple of nights in this simply amazing ecolodge, the last one accessible by car (Finca Exotica is also accessible by taxi or colectivo bus), only 45 minutes walking from the entrance to Corcovado National Park. I was sleeping in a beautiful and stylish Tiki Tent completely surrounded by the green vivid colours of the flaura, the sounds of birds and the Ylang Ylang flowers intense and paradisiacal perfume, I slept so good and it was so exciting and magical to wake up in the morning! I already miss staying there! Everything was absolutely perfect starting with Phoebe friendly and professional welcome, she was waiting for me in the Mexican style Beach House right close to the entrance of the property, she explained all the details, showed me my TikiTent and introduced me to Casa Grande, the most spaceful common area with the restaurant, bar, a wooden terrace with a fabulous view over the forest and the ocean, with cosy corners to relax on an hammock or to read a book from the eclectic library, there the chefs Coco and William offered me an exquisite and refreshing lemon grass and ginger fresh juice. I really loved the food at Finca Exotica, a mix between Costa Rican, Thai and Indiand style, every meal was a surprise and the great fresh tropical smoothes! I spent my first afternoon reading and relaxing in Casa Grande and I enjoyed a touching red sunset walking on the wild beach towards the lagoon, only 20 minutes walking from there. The following day I went to the Corcovado National Park, I did a 7hour itinerary, it was tough but at the same time thanks to the experience of Eric, the guide, I have seen lots of animals, one of the best experiences in my life! When I got back a I had a very nice deep tissue massage, which I really deserved!! I am really looking forward to go back to Finca Exotica!!It’s in my heart, in my eyes and ears..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! We welcome groups, couples and individuales and it was great to be able to give you a wonderful jungle experience! You definitely did deserve that massage after your long hike! We all hope that you hold your Finca memories for a long time, and that we see you back again soon of course! Pura vida!
Milano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our experience in Finca Exotica was simply beautiful.
I was there with my girlfriend, we choose to stay in a tikitent ( don't remember the name) and it was really a great experience.
The accomodation was cool and comfortable ( a spacious tent placed under a super bamboo structure). Also the shared bathroom was beautiful, simple and clean, with the "open air " shower under banano trees( the best showers I had in my life).
Basically we went to the Corcovado to stay in the nature an live a genuine wildlife experience, and Finca Exotica was just perfect.
Beach infront, jungle in the back and a unique energy and style.
No cell phones, no internet, wasn't a problem for us.
The personell was kind and always ready to answer our questions.
Food is amazing, William, the young chef in the morning and Coco in the night, were above our expectations.
We saw sea urtles in the night on the beach and so many birds and other animals hanging out around the property.
We had a yoga class with Cecilia after a full day around the jungle and was really good and relaxing. From the deck we saw the sunset and the sky was red.

We booked two nights but we extended our stay for other two, Our tikitent was reserved and we moved to a Cabina ( Mango ), the view was just incredible from up there.
For us Finca Exotica was more than an Ecolodge where to stay, was such a great experience we will remember for long time.
We will definately come back one day.

• Stayed December 2013
Hola hola! Thank you very much for your informative review of Finca Exotica. Detail is everything and we do our best to make sure that all aspects of our guests stay is as magical as they hope. Please come back again soon!
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I spent two nights at the Finca Exotica and was happy with what I found. Upon my arrival, I was welcomed by Salvatore, who showed me the lovely bungalow, the common area, offered me coffee and gave me some info as to what was available and how the finca was born. Dinner was at around 7.00pm, I found myself sharing the long table with other people, which would not normally thrill me but, in fact, it turned out to be a good experience - they were nice people and we exchanged our Costa Rica experiences, learning some more about this beautiful country. The following day I went, accompanied by Erik the guide, to the Corcovado, drove a little, walked along the beach and finally got there, where I managed to see animals, plants, ocean and enjoyed it all tremendously. Everything was positive.
The finca has a good vibe although no internet or telephone connection; the staff were helpful and friendly, the food very decent, no noise only the sound of some howling monkeys. It'd be good if there could be more tours available but I only found out about the nearby Corcovado.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your words! Corcovado is a great hike, I am very happy you got to experience it- we do offer various tours which can be found on our website, as well as in the tour folder on the bar- there are many other hikes and activities to do so we hope you can come back to enjoy even more of the beautiful Osa Peninsula! Pura vida!
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is one of the most special places I've ever been! So calm,cosy, sooo delicious food THANK YOU COCO!!!! We were there for 3 days and it was fantastic! Thank you gays you were so friendly, well-intentioned, helpful and nice. The walk in the National park and canoing with Eric unforgettable! It's not like place you want to go, see and relax, it's like place you want to be part of. Amazing! If you need volunteer take me take me :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kristina P
Hey our favourite Bulgarians! You and your family were true delights to have around and we are very happy to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know if you would be serious about volunteering, it would be great to have you back!
Alcala De Henares, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Península de Osa is one of the most wonderful places in Costa Rica. Its wilderness is unique, not as crowed as other locations in the country. Finca Exotica it´s a perfect location to spend some days and forget about any inconvenience. The beaches in front the hotel and the landscapes around are just beautiful. The cottages are beautifully decorated, environmentally friendly and perfectly integrated with nature. Really comfortable beds and astonishing sea views. The staff is really kind and helpful. Marcus (the owner) is a great chef.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We do try our very best here so thank you for acknowledging it…. We hope to see you again soon..... pura vida!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#4 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!