“Bliss”

Finca Exotica Ecolodge
Punta Islita
“Bliss”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have just booked a Tiki tent at Finca Exotica for the 3rd time in as many years. For me, this place has everything I look for in a holiday - beautiful, tranquil surroundings, very friendly and accommodating staff, incredible nature (Scarlet Macaws, Coatis, Agoutis all seen just from the main deck), amazing tasty food. Nestled in the hills between Corcovado National Park and the Pacific Ocean, Finca Exotica is probably the best place I have ever stayed. Anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie F
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
We love everytime you come back, hopefully it will continue for many years to come! Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Jose
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed at Finca Exotica for Christmas last year - it could not have been more perfect! Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, a refreshing glass of lemongrass tea and pointed out a beautiful toucan in a tree right above us. The gardens are beautiful and full of wildlife, you can spend hours just sitting in a hammock watching the bird life, or taking a short stroll up the hill to see humpback whales! The food was delicious and served in a wonderful setting. We loved it so much that we have just booked to come back to Finca Exotica again this coming Christmas - I can't think of a more relaxing and enjoyable place to be

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel G
Thank you for your kind words! We loved sharing Christmas with you both, finca style :) The hammocks are waiting for your return…… pura vida!
Atlanta
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My stay at Finca Exotica was absolutely wonderful! The location, right outside of Corcovado National Park, is excellent. Finca is a great place to stay on your way into or out of the park as well as a great place to view the wildlife of the park without actually going in! Waking up to monkeys howling and birds singing every morning is absolutely wonderful and refreshing! Casa Grande, where meals are prepared and served, is an excellent bird watching platform, putting you high enough to be eye level with the tree tops and the birds munching on nuts and fruits. The sound of the waves crashing on the beach can be heard all over the property. The beach is spectacular and pristine, without a thought of being even a little crowded. I got the privilege to stay in two different cabins and both were great! They both were very luxurious with comfortable beds, and great viewing areas for wildlife just outside. Sleeping int he open air extremely refreshing! All of the employees are friendly and helpful. They will often go out of their way to ensure you have a great time and are well taken care of. I loved my time at Finca and highly recommend it to everyone wanting to see one of the most spectacular places in the world!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for writing this review! We are very fortunate for our location to be a wonderful stop off point before and after visiting the world famous Corcovado National Park. We hope to see you again in the not so far future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Finca Exotica was our final stay of a 10 night, 4 location Costa Rican vacation. Lucky for us we arrived a day early, since we weren't as happy with our previous location. It was the highlight of our trip!
The wildlife was superb, better than any other place we stayed. The highlights were all of the monkeys which were quite close up and amazing birds including Scarlet Macaws and Toucans.
The rooms were rustic yet elegant. Open, but private and serene. Definitely romantic!
Now for the food. AMAZING is all I can say. I wish Coco would come open a restaurant in NYC. I've never had such fresh and delicious food at every meal. And my husband and I are both "foodies".
The ambiance in the dining area was superb. Including the beautiful chairs hand made out of a ship found in the ocean nearby! And all the décor and the structure itself, designed by Markus.
Phoebe was very nice and accommodating via email. She was away on a turtle adventure when we were there. But Markus, Coco and everyone else were just wonderful. Markus took us on a fabulous garden tour where we sampled tasty flowers, leaves and sugar cane.
We took it easy at Finca Exotica, after quite an adventurous rest of our trip. Plus I was 4 months pregnant and ready for some R&R at that point.
I will suggest being very careful in the water. I feel I am a decent swimmer, yet only swam at low tide since it looked pretty rough. Both my husband and I had a hard time getting out of the water after swimming for a while. Pretty scary. But beautiful and quiet beach and ocean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there! We were more than happy to receive you a day earlier than expected- it is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay here. You are right, the wildlife is superb and the monkeys are true delights to have around. We are very lucky to have so much wildlife around- we hope you managed to get some good photos of them all  Thank you writing this review!
oxford
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wow! The local colectivo (public bus/cattle truck) dropped me at the entrance to Finca where I was met by the lovely Phoebe. September is in the green (ie rainy!) season and Carate is a remote location but I was still surprised to learn that I was the only guest. And further surprised/delighted to be offered an upgrade from my pre-booked Tiki Tent to the Mango Cabin. My 3 night stay was simply one of the best I have enjoyed in all of my travels. It won’t be for everyone (forget your 24/7 internet access and hot showers!) BUT this shouldn’t come as a surprise given the location and the sustainable credentials of the lodge. There are still plenty of nice attentions to detail, such as exotic flower displays and a selection of books illustrating the wildlife to be found. Go with an open mind and it will be blown away – by the sights, sounds and sincere hospitality.

Being so close to Corcovado National Park, wildlife abounds. I saw whales from my ocean-view cabin, monkeys and coatis scampered in the gardens, while toucans and scarlet macaws provided colourful fly-pasts. The gardens offer a myriad of ingredients used in your meals. Phoebe walked me around the grounds, picking leaves and plucking fruit for me to taste. I was also taken on a short night patrol of the beach, which is home to several species of nesting turtle. Put simply, if you love nature – don’t hesitate to book your stay at Finca!

I really can’t speak highly enough of the lodge, and would like to extend a special thank you to Phoebe and the local family who made my short stay so memorable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hi Finca Exotica VIP guest! We were more than happy to offer you the free upgrade, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Mango cabana, it is very beautiful  Goodluck with everything in the future and we look forward to seeing you back here again soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited in August 2013 and stayed for four nights. While our stay was on the short side, we immediately felt totally relaxed here, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Phoebe and Coco looked after us very well, providing excellent meals (and on two occasions an extra meal of our family of four as we missed lunch on the day we arrived and felt we needed an extra one on the day we took a 20km hike). We swam, kayaked, hiked, read, saw an immense variety of wildlife--thanks to our excellent guide Eric--and ate and drank to our hearts' content. Six stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Your family is fantastic!! You were true delights to have here, you brought so much joy to our lives. We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with you and hope to see you back again soon. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. Pura vida!
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is probably one of these once-in-a-lifetime places I will never forget.

Warm welcoming staff. Exquisite home grown food. Beautiful lodge, with breathtaking views over the hills and the ocean, completely integrated in the nature, very eco friendly in a luxurious way. Cabins are very romantic specially at night when you light the candles. There is not one single thing I could complain about even when "timings" weren't great. We went for 10 days at the end of August (green season) and it rained everyday but this didn't ruin at all our trip to Corcovado.

Thank you Markus and Phoebe for making this part of the trip a 10!

Room Tip: The Cabins, although expensive, are simply stunning, with a walk in closet, and integrated bathroom...