“Simply amazing!”

and 1 more site!
Finca Exotica Ecolodge
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Finca Exotica was our final stay of a 10 night, 4 location Costa Rican vacation. Lucky for us we arrived a day early, since we weren't as happy with our previous location. It was the highlight of our trip!
The wildlife was superb, better than any other place we stayed. The highlights were all of the monkeys which were quite close up and amazing birds including Scarlet Macaws and Toucans.
The rooms were rustic yet elegant. Open, but private and serene. Definitely romantic!
Now for the food. AMAZING is all I can say. I wish Coco would come open a restaurant in NYC. I've never had such fresh and delicious food at every meal. And my husband and I are both "foodies".
The ambiance in the dining area was superb. Including the beautiful chairs hand made out of a ship found in the ocean nearby! And all the décor and the structure itself, designed by Markus.
Phoebe was very nice and accommodating via email. She was away on a turtle adventure when we were there. But Markus, Coco and everyone else were just wonderful. Markus took us on a fabulous garden tour where we sampled tasty flowers, leaves and sugar cane.
We took it easy at Finca Exotica, after quite an adventurous rest of our trip. Plus I was 4 months pregnant and ready for some R&R at that point.
I will suggest being very careful in the water. I feel I am a decent swimmer, yet only swam at low tide since it looked pretty rough. Both my husband and I had a hard time getting out of the water after swimming for a while. Pretty scary. But beautiful and quiet beach and ocean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Hi there! We were more than happy to receive you a day earlier than expected- it is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay here. You are right, the wildlife is superb and the monkeys are true delights to have around. We are very lucky to have so much wildlife around- we hope you managed to get some good photos of them all  Thank you writing this review!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wow! The local colectivo (public bus/cattle truck) dropped me at the entrance to Finca where I was met by the lovely Phoebe. September is in the green (ie rainy!) season and Carate is a remote location but I was still surprised to learn that I was the only guest. And further surprised/delighted to be offered an upgrade from my pre-booked Tiki Tent to the Mango Cabin. My 3 night stay was simply one of the best I have enjoyed in all of my travels. It won’t be for everyone (forget your 24/7 internet access and hot showers!) BUT this shouldn’t come as a surprise given the location and the sustainable credentials of the lodge. There are still plenty of nice attentions to detail, such as exotic flower displays and a selection of books illustrating the wildlife to be found. Go with an open mind and it will be blown away – by the sights, sounds and sincere hospitality.

Being so close to Corcovado National Park, wildlife abounds. I saw whales from my ocean-view cabin, monkeys and coatis scampered in the gardens, while toucans and scarlet macaws provided colourful fly-pasts. The gardens offer a myriad of ingredients used in your meals. Phoebe walked me around the grounds, picking leaves and plucking fruit for me to taste. I was also taken on a short night patrol of the beach, which is home to several species of nesting turtle. Put simply, if you love nature – don’t hesitate to book your stay at Finca!

I really can’t speak highly enough of the lodge, and would like to extend a special thank you to Phoebe and the local family who made my short stay so memorable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Hi Finca Exotica VIP guest! We were more than happy to offer you the free upgrade, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Mango cabana, it is very beautiful  Goodluck with everything in the future and we look forward to seeing you back here again soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this review!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited in August 2013 and stayed for four nights. While our stay was on the short side, we immediately felt totally relaxed here, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Phoebe and Coco looked after us very well, providing excellent meals (and on two occasions an extra meal of our family of four as we missed lunch on the day we arrived and felt we needed an extra one on the day we took a 20km hike). We swam, kayaked, hiked, read, saw an immense variety of wildlife--thanks to our excellent guide Eric--and ate and drank to our hearts' content. Six stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Your family is fantastic!! You were true delights to have here, you brought so much joy to our lives. We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with you and hope to see you back again soon. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. Pura vida!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is probably one of these once-in-a-lifetime places I will never forget.

Warm welcoming staff. Exquisite home grown food. Beautiful lodge, with breathtaking views over the hills and the ocean, completely integrated in the nature, very eco friendly in a luxurious way. Cabins are very romantic specially at night when you light the candles. There is not one single thing I could complain about even when "timings" weren't great. We went for 10 days at the end of August (green season) and it rained everyday but this didn't ruin at all our trip to Corcovado.

Thank you Markus and Phoebe for making this part of the trip a 10!

Room Tip: The Cabins, although expensive, are simply stunning, with a walk in closet, and integrated bathroom...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful words! We do our best to render our guests a true jungle experience in style and we are glad to hear that we achieved it with you! Thank you again and we hope to see you back in the future… pura vida!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had greally great time in Finca Exotica. It was our last stop when travelling around CostaRica and would wish to have more time and stay there longer (we stayed just for 3 nights). Even my 15 years daughter was excited and had no problem with wifi unavailable :)....Really special place, very nice people, extraordinary cook (dont forget to write cooking book!!!! one day :)) I do hope to be able to come back once again and spend more time - just do restart and delete all ugly staff of civilization we live in now...... I can confirm that you need 4X4 when you are driving to Finca Exotica and even confirm that it is fun to drive there.

Room Tip: We have rented a suite for 3 people - it was up the hill, with great view of the nature and nation...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! It was really great seeing you and your family embrace this wonderful area as much as you did- we hope to see you back for longer than 3 days too 

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the most wonderful time here. The sounds of the rainforest mixed with that of the waves is magical. The food was amazing and all the staff very friendly and helpful. We were at Finca Exotica for 3 days and looking back, it seems much longer because we saw so much. Get a 4x4 if you decide to go by car (good fun).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QubusEU
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you very much for writing this review- it is really great to know that you enjoyed your time here so much! We hope to see you again soon here in our jungle paradise 

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Finca Exotica has many attributes, but its greatest is the staff. The resident guide, Erick, not only led us safely through Corcovado and to gasp-worthy waterfalls, but also managed to spot a puma with our neighboring guests and still found time to teach us a couple of card tricks. Phoebe is such a gracious hostess that everyone wants to be near her, including a local tapir and the giant turtles she volunteers to protect. Chef Coco seasons his plentiful dishes with enthusiasm and even allowed a 13-year-old fan to help in the kitchen and learn recipes. Manager Martina thinks of everything and helps make evening meals feel like worldly dinner parties among all guests. All this stems from Owner/Architect Marcus' practical passion for living sustainably. By the time we left, I felt like we'd be missing family.
This was our second visit to Finca Exotica. We were attracted by the opportunity to volunteer with sea turtles, but we learned that by living outside for a week -- taking cold outdoor showers during afternoon rains, sleeping with the sound of the crashing surf, and waking to busy Capuchin monkeys tossing bananas or mangos down on our roof -- we became united with our environment; more able to feel and see how interconnected we all are.
There are a few comforts some might miss: like a dry bed during a heavy rainstorm, or a steaming hot shower after a long hike; but these things are part of the experience of becoming one with this extraordinary, remote and unspoiled place. Becoming unburdened by things like hairdryers, impractical clothes and wi-fi, and instead experiencing gardens full of exotic fruits and forests teeming with nature's miracles, can redefined the word "vacation."

Room Tip: No rooms have electricity. Consider your stay a technology detox. Generally, larger rooms require...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda T

It was so lovely to have you and your son back with us again for the second year running- you are true delights! Please make it three, we miss you lots!  If your son would like a chef apprenticeship position, please send him here, his spring rolls are the best! Much love to you both and hope to see you again soon, the turtles need you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#2 of 43 in Osa Peninsula
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!