We traveled to the Osa and stayed at Finca as part of a yoga retreat and eco-tourism experience. Finca is nestled in the jungle, right on the pacific ocean, a 1-1.5 hour very bumpy ride from Puerto Jimenez. We were assigned a cabina that was perched high up on a steep hill above the main lodge but well worth the hike! It was equipped with a separate (yet private) toilet and outdoor shower. The view from our cabina as well as from our toilet and outdoor shower were absolutely breathtaking. Every morning we would wake at sunrise to the sounds of the waves crashing, the birds chirping and the monkeys howling. The accommodations were clean, homey and absolutely charming. I would caution that while we appreciated our stay, this place is not for everyone - the cabinas are basic, rustic and an open-concept design so wildlife and especially insects can and WILL get in, there was no electricity in our cabina (a good headlamp is a must!) and no hot water system which iwas tolerable given the hot and humid tropical temperature. Also, for the first couple of nights, it was hard to sleep given the humidity and the sounds of the jungle and the ocean but as is human nature, we easily adapted.
The food was fantastic and (despite what some other individuals on this site have commented regarding portion size), we felt that there was always plenty for everyone. True that sometimes the initial portion size was smaller, however, as soon as anybody asked for seconds or additional sides, the owners or staff were pleased to serve. As well, certain individuals in our group had dietary restrictions and Finca made sure to accommodate everyone. Yes, sometimes you needed to go voice your need or concern, but the staff is friendly, approachable and happy to help so don't be shy!
We also booked our yoga retreat in collaboration with StepOut Experience who provided the 'eco-tourism' portion of the trip. While the organized hikes and activities were fun; we felt that the challenge and level of difficulty was easy and very basic. As such, if you are looking for hikes or activities with a greater challenge and difficulty level, the basic StepOut hikes and activities may disappoint. However, the staff are all very knowledgable (especially Laura from Finca and Martine from StepOut), and they could probably recommend or arrange for more physically challenging activities if you so request in advance. I should note that the optional activities (i.e. water repelling, zip lining, etc.) are very pricey and payable only in cash with no ATM close by so make sure you bring enough. All in all we enjoyed our stay at Finca as well as our StepOut Experience and would recommend it to those individuals seeking a sustainable alternative to an all exclusive resort-type experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Finca Exotica eco lodge is a Wildlife Refuge property in this pristine area of Costa Rica, and the closest place to Corcovado National Park accessible by car.Our beach lodge is equipped to meet all of your needs – be it a romantic couple’s escape, a group retreat, a professional conference or a family vacation. Our facilities surround our central meeting place, Casa Grande, which hosts the organic food restaurant with a communal dining table and stretches out to an amphitheater suited for presentations and lectures by day and dance parties by night. Between them is the bar and together they all encompass the terrace where you can lounge under the open sky or swing in a hamock in the shades of almond trees, while Scarlett Macaws are feeding on them. Tents, cabins, rentals and other facilities stem out from this centerpiece to provide easy access near the beach, an isolated meditation ambiance and quaint trails that lead you through the labyrinth of exotic plant life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Finca Exotica Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Exotica Hotel Carate
- Finca Exotica Ecolodge Costa Rica/Carate