We were road tripping around Costa Rica and Finca was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The staff was genuinely friendly and laid back. Marcus, Gabby, Phoebe, and the agriculture lady (can't recall her name...Sharon maybe) were great hosts. They really seemed to enjoy guests and we learned a lot from them and had some very interesting conversations. I have an interest in growing fruit trees and Finca was just the perfect fit for me in this respect.
Corcovado and the whole area in general is just amazing and the crazy road to Carate is so much fun. Fording the rivers and taking full advantage of the 4 wheel drive is a great adventure. The animals in this area are super interesting and hearing the macaws squawk and play in the trees was really a treat. Troops of monkeys swing through the property on a regular basis and toucans come and eat the bananas.
We were able to get two good day hikes in, one to La Leona station and one on the trails behind Finca. Finca has a lot of property and it runs right up the mountain. I really appreciate being able to go on adventures right outside my bedroom door.
The food was very good and the constructions on the property were very well done. Marcus is quite the architect and the solar power and water turbine power are really neat. Bathrooms are very nice and clean.
Okay, so I do have some small complaints, but I'd like to frame these more as suggestions rather than genuine problems.
Slippery trails: We had one of the cabins that was the highest up the hill on the property and the trail to it was fairly steep and it rains there a lot. Given that the ground there is red clay this path was dangerously slippery. I play soccer and I'm very nimble so if that walk gave me concern I imagine it would be terrifying for any elderly people or even someone who is a little overweight or out of shape. I think something needs to be done to make it safer. They already put gravel on it but it seems to get washed away, so I'm not really sure what the solution is. Rock steps, a little concrete, rails maybe, drainage?
Option for more light in the rooms: I would have liked to have a brighter light in my room to be able to see in my suitcase better at night etc. I know they don't want guests seeing others lights so they could place it carefully to be blocked from others views. A 60W equivalent CFL carefully placed would have done it without using much power. Candles are romantic but probably really not that "green" because they get used up so quickly and take energy to create.
Price: Finca like everything else in Carate is a bit pricey. We only stayed one night but managed to really get two days out of it. I'd still say its worth it and I might even go there for more nights at sometime in the future, but for a family of four it gets expensive real fast. Considering 5 star all inclusive resorts cost about the same, and at Finca you will be sleeping in a tent and taking cold showers, the materialistic comparison looks a bit lopsided. That being said the experience is really really special there, but it would be even nicer at 50% the price ha ha.
Sleeping temperature: The Osa peninsula is a steamy place and I think it was extra steamy the night we were there. Now I know what it is like to sleep in the jungle or not be able to sleep much in the jungle. I know a fan uses precious turbine power but I think we would have slept much better with a ceiling fan. Our cabin was kind of enclosed by forest and we really did not have any kind of breeze from the ocean or anywhere else to make things more bearable.
So there are my gripes. Regardless. Finca is awesome!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Finca Exotica eco lodge is a Wildlife Refuge property in this pristine area of Costa Rica, and the closest place to Corcovado National Park accessible by car.Our beach lodge is equipped to meet all of your needs – be it a romantic couple’s escape, a group retreat, a professional conference or a family vacation. Our facilities surround our central meeting place, Casa Grande, which hosts the organic food restaurant with a communal dining table and stretches out to an amphitheater suited for presentations and lectures by day and dance parties by night. Between them is the bar and together they all encompass the terrace where you can lounge under the open sky or swing in a hamock in the shades of almond trees, while Scarlett Macaws are feeding on them. Tents, cabins, rentals and other facilities stem out from this centerpiece to provide easy access near the beach, an isolated meditation ambiance and quaint trails that lead you through the labyrinth of exotic plant life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Finca Exotica Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Exotica Hotel Carate
- Finca Exotica Ecolodge Costa Rica/Carate