“The best vacation of my life!”

Finca Exotica Ecolodge
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“The best vacation of my life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you're going to visit Costa Rica your trip will not be complete without visiting Carate and Finca Exotica! Amazing, good quality food, beautiful cabins in the middle of the jungle with wonderful animals all around you. Steps from the beach, the jungle and hiking in the mountains. this was without a doubt the best vacation of my life. I went with a good girlfriend however the place is appropriate for couples, families, solo missions and going with friends. I have nothing but good things to say. Go visit!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SarahCeilidh
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
And the pleasure was also ours to have you here with us! We’re very happy to hear that Finca Exotica was the highlight of your trip, please continue to spread the word!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

It's not easy to impress me, but I must say, this place is amazing!
It's very unique and tastefully designed, complimenting the surrounding nature.
Stuff is great, and did I mention food? It's as fresh as it gets. For a very picky eater, such as me, every single diet preference was taking into consideration.
All I have to say is thank you Finca Exotica for making my trip so beautiful and memorable.

Room Tip: Cabins are great. Keep in mind, it's an Eco Lodge, so prepare yourself accordingly.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kasey K
Hey Kasey, great to hear from you! Many thanks for your glowing review. Finca Exotica is a unique place and we are so happy that you were able to come and embrace it with us! Hope to see you again soon!
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Finca Exotica is unique. The property is amazing, the location second to none, and the atmosphere (which the owners create) is special. The common/dining area is wonderful. The quality of the food is high.

BUT - Finca Exotica is not perfect. Maybe we hit them at a bad time but the service was almost non-existent and you really had to chase people for basic things (the people were very nice but not service-oriented). The food, while very good, was just not sufficient for normal human beings (we are small people with small appetites - large, active people must have a really tough time), and there are no shops in Carate, so you can't supplement. In terms of accomodation, there are a couple of truly spectacular cabinas but many are average (and tucked at the bottom of the hill with no view), so make sure to ask for a good one. The entrance area is also a bit shabby, which lets the property down.

Taking this into account, I could not say Finca Exotica is good value for money - at least not based on the amount we paid and relative to the local competition - but it is a good place to stay and offers a different, more earthy experience to the more standard lodges in Carate.

Its a pity because, with a couple of tweaks (more attention to service, sufficient food, solar lamps on the main paths, tidying up the entrance) it could be truly spectacular. Hopefully, it will be if we ever get to back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ZelenEye
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review- we very much appreciate it! We try our very best to ensure our guests have the best time here so apologies if you felt certain things weren’t up to scratch. There is always at least one staff member on-site, all of whom are very approachable. We hope that guests who do not feel they received an adequate breakfast/lunch/dinner come and tell us so that we can provide them with more- hungry guests after meal times are the last thing that we want!
All of our cabinas are different in terms of location and structure, and designed that way to suit the needs of a variety of people. Some people prefer to have the ocean view whilst others prefer to be in the garden area to be nearer to the beach and the main garden wildlife. We have taken note of your comments and we welcome you back in the future.
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Amazing wildlife. Amazing food. Amazing structures. And exceptional people.

Located an enjoyably rugged ride down a fantastically horrible road, this is a place with people who will remember your name and greet you cheerfully in the morning, going out of their way to make sure you're having a good time and make sure your logistics are in order. An area where you can go for a walk and see spider monkeys until your hearts content, or sea turtles until your mind explodes. Much of the food is grown on site, there are things for the yogi peoples, and the fantastic architecture completely meshes with the terrain & atmosphere, and seemingly absolutely refuses to conflict with it.

For the nature inclined: I'm a biologist, and I came to the Osa Peninsula to see some great birds, bugs, mammals, plants, etc. The location is absolutely superb, and when you get tired of sipping lemongrass-ginger tea (grown on the property) while watching Scarlet Macaws and Toucans flying in front of the lounge deck (lazy birding can be quite relaxing), you can take a quick hike and see (here, a short list) Spider monkeys, Squirrel monkeys, Howler monkeys, Capuchins, Coatis, Poison-dart frogs, Raptors (birds of prey- not velociraptors. The velociraptors are located at Other lodges), Great curassows, Basilisks, Anoles, Golden-carpenter ants, Trap-jaw ants, various Libellulid dragonflies, nymphalid butterflies, helicopter damselflies, jewel Weevils (I'm also an entomologist), and wonderful flora with an assortment of sizes and shapes.

Corcovado National Park is located just adjacent, and the staff here are quite knowledgeable about conservation and reservations at the park.

For those not Nature inclined: I came here with my father who contrary to his expectations, was not greeted with air conditioning and a television. In some places this may have turned into a problem, and while I suppose he is relatively adaptable, the people here were what really allowed him to have a great time without the sort of amenities and comforts he thought he would need.

Oh also, it's on the beach. How much amazingness are you looking for exactly?

p.s. Need more hammocks

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jay I
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Hi Jay! Well, what can I say- thank you for such a wonderful review! You and your father were absolutely fantastic guests and we really hope to see you both again in the near future. You write very beautifully by the way, very inspiring words for future visitors to oue special Carate! Please say hi to your dad from all of us here!
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

This place was amazing! My Fiance Kait and I stayed in Casa Raiz for 4 days and loved every minute of it. Gaby, Phoebe, and Jodi were amazing to hang out with. Jodi did a Yoga class, and Phoebe took us out to search for Sea Turtles. We didn't find any, that night, but we did see the Caimans at the lagoon.

The food was no less than amazing! My fiance has dietary sensitivities with IBS and she was completely fine with everything!

The cabins were amazing. They were always very well cleaned each day.

I can't think of a negative aspect of this entire trip! It rained 2 of the 4 days we were there, but that didn't dampen anyone's spirits!

We can't wait to go back!

- Ryan & Kait -

Room Tip: Casa Raiz is a beautiful room. Only a 5min hike uphill for a beautiful secluded cabin with a view y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
And we can’t wait for you to come back! We’re so happy that you enjoyed your stay here - rain or shine spirits should stay high here in such a beautiful place! Have a wonderful rest of March, Ryan and Kait, please keep in touch!
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Where to start! Finca Exótica has come to mean so much more to me than I would ever have expected- to sum it up: amazing place, the best people, and great food too!
Being located in one of the most biologically diverse regions of the world, Finca Exótica provides a spectacular window into Costa Rica's true treasure- it's wildlife. Literally EVERY day I saw chestnut-mandibled toucans, scarlet macaws, all sorts of lizards, sea turtles at night (during nesting season), hummingbirds, hawks, and at least one species of monkey (all four endemic species visit Finca: spider, squirrel, howler, and capuchin). I also saw a few snakes (from a safe distance of course!), a brilliantly blue orchid bee, scorpions (not deadly), and gorgeous and exotic flowers right in they're garden (they even have Ylang-ylang trees around for the best air you've ever smelled!). On top of all of this, Finca is only an hour walk from Corcovado National Park. Wedged right between my favorite beach I've ever come across and the lush, intoxicating jungle, Finca provides a vast spectrum of incredible wildlife.
The PEOPLE! Phoebe, who I only had the pleasure of knowing for a day an a half, honestly was one of the coolest and funniest people I've met- and she's a conservation biologist! She's great, and I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know her better. Coco the cook is this cheerful tico that brightened up every one of my morning's with a smile and a "Como durmiste?" or a "Mae, como estas!". He's such a genuine person, I definitely consider him a friend for life. His wife Jodi, the on-site yoga instructor and sustainability coordinator is a sincerely considerate and caring person as well. Her yoga classes were just what my body needed after a morning of hiking, and she is quite the latin dancer for a gringa! She's the best. The general staff were always pleasant, and I'm happy to say I became friends with many of them (Isa, Anita, Marbelis, et al), and they were always happy to help if I ever asked for it. Don't be afraid to ask them for anything, they're great people! Markus, the proprietor of the hotel, was always a source of interesting conversation. His garden is immaculate and the design of the lodge itself is marvelous, surely something to be proud of (he, an architect, designed it all himself), especially with regards to it's sustainability (they run entirely on solar and hyrdo power!). Last but not least, Gabi, Markus's wife. Over the course of the month that I was there, Gabi was always there for me whenever I needed anything. She is a patient, caring, funny!, and just overall fantastic person, who I like to think of as my older sister now. She's the best, te amp Gabi!!! <3
And the food!
Every meal prepared by the owners and Coco was phenomenal and the epitome of fresh and healthy! They really have a taste for gourmet. And to top it off, the majority of their food is from their garden, and if not, from a local source. I sure miss fresh-squeezed fruit juice at every meal.
Overall, my trip to Costa Rice was one I will never forget. Not once did I feel homesick because the people there became my family too. I know this review seems exaggerative, but not one word of it was anything but true- Finca is just that awesome of a place. I hope I can come back someday and see everybody and the Osa Peninsula again, because as I said, in this place I found a new home.
Muchisimas gracias, Finca, por todo. Los amo y los extraño muchisimo, y nunca los voy a olvidar. Hasta pronto!
Su hermanito,
Dane <3

Room Tip: Higher up means practically hiking to get to your room, but I thought it was totally worth the ocean...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Finca_Exotica, Owner at Finca Exotica Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Hi Dane! THANK YOU for taking the time to write such a lovely, informative review. We really are so happy that you enjoyed your time here so much (likewise!) The food, the nature (especially the turtles), and the people await eagerly for your return.....Please make it sooner rather than later, un abrazo grande amigo!
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

When i got to finca i thought it would be just another stay at a lodge but it turn out to be a second home. Finca Exotica has a unique atmosphere where you wont only find exotic animals,plants, and other biodiversity, but you also find yourself! If your looking for a place to relax,enjoy a good book, enjoy nature, walk beaches, and just in general feel the comfort of a home than Finca is where you have to stay. In addition the food is also amazing, the costa rican flavors and recipes make you want more after one plate. Not only does the location make your stay amazing but the people who work there is what completes it! i have never met such an amazing group of people. Everyone is reliable, helpful, and there to make your stay 100% outstanding. All i can say is that after 3 weeks of being there i only yearn to go back again!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a little more luxury and comfort stay at their breath taking cabinas!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
And we felt you to be an extra family member here -you brought a great spirit to the place, Manuela! Thank you so much for sharing your experience of staying with us, nothing makes us happier than to know that you are yearning to come back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#4 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Finca Exotica Ecolodge? Share your experiences!