“magical”

Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
albuquerque
“magical”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Watching this resort grow over the last 16 years has enriched my life in unforgettable ways. They really have created a jewel in this world. Giving you an experience that will last a life time. They welcome you into their paradise by sharing their life so openily with all who come to their home. You will wake away with something deep inside you that will change the way you view the world with these beautiful people. Your are an inspiration I hope many people will be touched by.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lisaAlbuquerque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
MV, CR
Reviewed April 27, 2009

These guys really took care of us! My girlfriend and I showed up without reservations, just looking to camp and were given the best hospitality that we have received in a long time in CR. (and we live in CR!)

Our plan was to hike to sirena in corcovado from Drake Bay. We really didnt have clue regarding the difficuly of the upcoming adventure! Bill, Wahoo and the rest of the staff went out of there way especially since we were only camping, to make sure that we had all of the information we needed! A rarity down here, help the customer before making a dollar??? I like this place already!

After beers and stories of amazing fishing we set out the next day with Wahoo and Elias for what would be the most amazing wildlife experience on the ocean that we had seen. We were dropped of at the trail head in San Pedrillo, 10 lbs of fresh tuna and stories to last a life time!

We then put the heat on and made it to Sirena in 5:30 hours! Three river crossings with crocs, snakes, sharks etc....and at night.. Corcovado is the single most impressive place in this country! The guys at Poormans will always get ouir business when were in the area!!!

Thanks guys!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BothropsAsper
florida
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My wife and I found this little gem of a place nearly a decade ago and thought so much of it that we invited 40 of our closest friends to our wedding there. We have since had many children (5) and come back every year to a place that fulfills all our desires. Romance, QUALITY family time, fishing, horseback riding, playing in the surf, climbing waterfalls. There are no computers, cell phones, or 24/7 news. You can focus on what is important "family" without distraction. It is great to see your kids playing in the surf every sunset as you chat with the locals. The Amaya family has always treated us with great care and I am trully saddened everytime we must leave. We sometimes fish all day, bring the lovely ladies in the kitchen our catch, and have them fix it up with whatever style you like. Sonya made a tuna tartar to die for on our last trip. I tell everyone who will listen, if you want to go to Jaco, why not go to Daytona Beach in the states, if you want Los Suenos, go to West Palm Beach, but if want a true Costa Rican experience, one that you will cherish, one from a true authentic Costa Rican family, then try PMP out. You will be trully amazed. Owen, Mackenzie, Sydney, Zoe, Savannah, Maddox aka Terra Motto, and BrookLynn

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank fidelasvenator
Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2009

We were disappointed on almost all levels during our recent 3 night stay at PMP. Although our room was a decent size, the bed was most uncomfortable with sheets that were overly worn and had no elastic on edges to keep them in place, we found ourselves directly on top of the very used mattress every morning, no matress pad or cover below your sheet, these sheets were changed daily, but not once did we have decent bed linens. Only one hammock, and our bathroom comode clogged up and we could not use it after the first day. They pressure you into very, overly expensive tours each evening at dinner. Even tho we had a pkg. deal that included tours, they try to get you to take other more expensive tours in place of the prepaid pkg. and charge you the difference. If you go on tours daily, you get the most horrible sack lunch, the sandwiches are uneatable. The food is very disappointing for the price you paid. The breakfast never changes each morning - the lunch is the sack lunch I mentioned - and the dinner is very bland inexpensive cuts of meat with very little variety. Check around I'm sure you can do better at many of the other resorts.PMP really put a damper on that part of our Costa Rica vacation. But we did better after leaving PMP.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dlhtx
bongo_stardog
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My friend and I were wandering around Sierpe looking at the different places on offer to stay in Drake Bay and we were recommended Poor Man's Paradise (PMP) owned by a chap called Pincho.

He promised us a boat the next morning and a price as well as a great snorkelling beach and loads of marine life. The next morning there was no boat and we were wandering up & down the boardwalk trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually we set off with a boat load full of people who got off at different resorts all the way down the pennisula. When we got to PMP there was no small boat to take us into shore. An argument ensued between our captain and the staff on shore as Pincho had not notified them of our arrival. We then had to go back up the coast to find another boat then come all the way back down the coast. My bad back took a hammering with this extra travel and my friend suffered sun stroke with the extra 2 hours on the open ocean.

Eventually we arrived and were told we were too late for lunch and were offered an awful sandwich. There is no electricity at the 'resort' and you are expected to place used toliet paper in the bin next to the toliets rather than in the water. This is the case elsewhere too but worth pointing out.

Shortly afterwards we received a knock on the door and a staff member tried to sell us over-priced tours. $600 for a day's fishing was an example. We wanted to see sites but just couldn't afford the trips. I enquired about the snorkelling as the beach I'd seen on arrival looked way too rough with no shelter for fish and was notified that the snorkelling beach was a 30 minute walk north! I attempted this walk but it was getting dusk and when I started walking through jungle I decided I couldn't see well enough to be sure there were no snakes so headed back. My friend had sun stroke from the 4 hours boat ride and didn't get out of bed for 2 days.

The food wasn't too bad and the staff were friendly but obviously pushed to sell these over priced tours. The whole thing left a bad taste in the mouth and in the end I didn't even go snorkelling.

On the second day at the resort I went for a walk and when I returned there was another couple in our cabin as the staff had asked my bed ridden friend if we could move cabins as they'd promised that one to the other couple. He agreed and had to move all our belongings on his own. Charming.

We left after 2 days and fortunately the boat was there for us to depart. When we arrived back in Sierpe we were asked to pay a bill that hadn;t included the $50 deposit I'd already paid Pincho 2 days earlier. Fortunately I had him sign a receipt that I'd drawn up and produced that otherwise we'd have had to pay another $50.

All in all an amazing spot ruined by poor management and an overwhelming desire to rip off clients.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank bongo_stardog
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed at Poor Man's Paradise for five nights and loved every minute of it! We booked the trip as a package through Sunny Travel and it included five nights, all meals, three tours, and a taxi and boat ride to and from the Drake Bay airport all for a very reasonable price.

This place is the most remote place I have ever been to and that is the reason I wanted to go there. Do not stay here if you want modern accomodations and creature comforts. It is remote, it is basic, there is no a/c, limited electricity, and no hot water. BUT, you will have an experience that you could not get other places. It is all nature, virtually no tourism.

During our time on the property and on the tours we took, I saw sea turtles, dolphins, whales, toucans, maccaws, various other birds, howler monkeys, white faced monkeys, iguanas, hermit crabs, frogs, crocodiles, a tapir, and probably several more things I am forgetting. The tours were great. We did Cano Island, Sirena/Corcovado rainforest hike, dolphin watching tour, and we rented horses on the property for $10/hour! The guides (we had Samuel and Consuelo) were awesome, very friendly and knowledgeable.

In my experience, the staff was very nice. One night at the bar, I kept smelling a wonderful flower and didn't know what it was. The bartender stopped what he was doing to show me what/where it was coming from (ylang ylang it turns out). The food was good and at some times (red snapper for one dinner) great. The rooms are basic, but clean. The beach is pristine. The sunsets are amazing. If I make it back to Costa Rica, I would definitely stay here again.

Some of the European guests didn't seem to fond of Americans, so I would suggest going with your own group of family or friends. But that's not PMP's fault. I loved it. It was the best part of our trip.

• Liked — Staff, beach, nature
  • Disliked — It is HUMID. COLD showers.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Berkeley CA
Reviewed February 14, 2008

With a sweeping beach and a smattering of cabins in beautiful gardens, Poor Mans Paradise was a memorable spot during our trip. The ride to the hotel was by boat from Sierpe and was a very pleasant way to "enter paradise", amidst monkeys and birds along the river banks.

We were immediately greeted by staff and shown to the dining hall for lunch. After we'd eaten, we were given a clear, personalized explanation of the available activities and the facilities. During our stay, we spent some time in one of the upstairs cabins which had a private bathroom and a hammock outside. Electricity goes out after 9 but the room was comfortable and clean. The other nights we spent on the beach in the tents that are set up with beds inside. They were less spacious and the sound of the waves woke me up at night because of the proximity but overall it was very romantic to be in the tent on the beach and a good deal ($45).

We went on a guided tour in Corcovado, the shorter of the two with a very knowledgeable guide who did her best to find us animals even on a day where they all seemed to be hibernating. We also took advantage of the nearby snorkel spot 20 minutes down the beach in a little bay.

The staff was ridiculously nice to us during the whole visit and very generously gave us some discounts when we paid at the end. Unlike another review I've read, they absolutely do accept credit cards and travelers checks. The bar was a really intimate and comfortable place to hang out in the evenings and play cards/dominos.

There is no internet so get used to that idea before you go. And, I hate to have to taint my review but the food was mediocre at its best. That is to say, do not try the french toast because it is soggy and be prepared for very bland tasting food. If you are addicted to chocolate, bring your own because there is none. And the mixed drinks in the bar were abhorrent. The pina colada and white russian especially. If you order Baileys, make sure thats what you get because after tasting the bizzare drink that I was served, I asked to see the bottle and found that it was "Molly's Irish Cream"...not the same thing at all!!

I recommend Poor Man's Paradise as a nice place to rest and enjoy Drakes Bay and hope that they can improve the food so that the next review will be the 5 stars they deserve.

• Liked — The familiar feeling, the attentive service, the pretty location
  • Disliked — The food and the mixed drinks
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LadyL99