“Perfect!”

El Remanso Lodge
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Osa Peninsula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Spent 6 days here over Christmas. Our deluxe cabin was perfect, large, clean, airy and staff had gone the extra mile to provide a large extra bed for my 6ft son. All staff were friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable, especially our guide,Heraldo. Beautiful views and surroundings. So relaxing to be in a place without internet, mobile connection, TV etc, though staff did helpfully send urgent emails for my son. Food was excellent with varied and tasty vegetarian options for every meal. A joy to stay here among the beautiful forest plants with so much wildilfe - we even got used to the howler monkeys providing a different type of dawn chorus!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are very well travelled and this is one of our favourite places on planet earth. It truly is an eco friendly responsible establishment. The management and staff are exceptional, the food and lodgings are just perfect for a stay of this kind and the wildlife is literally on your doorstep. This is a place that one is lucky to ever find. A naturalists dream that also has an outstanding beach and pool and other relaxing features for those not as interested in the animals. Monkeys, reptiles, insects, amphibians, birds and much more can be found here - even the occasional Jaguarundi if you are lucky as we were!! The owners, Daniel and Adriana take your stay really personally and want you to have the time of your life - genuinely. If you are able to see the big picture and understand what they have done here and how they will continue then you'll love it. To see how they are shaping the lodge and supporting services (passionately) with the economic, environmental and social issues is admirable. They care! they source locally and they are utterly trustworthy and reliable. El Remanso will win your heart and mind - if you just take it all in and embrace nature and the environment. We just cannot recommend it highly enough - in fact we don't really want to - why should we share it with others? :-) We will be back for sure - indeed we don't feel like we ever left. Whether you want breakfast with the birds high up in the canopy or a massage on a warm sunny evening then El Remanso is for you. One year on, (actually went Jan 2013) we are still high from the few days we had there and long to return.

Room Tip: They are all very comfortable and appropriate rooms - but just remember you are in a rainforest, not...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed in a cabin in the grounds of El Remanso, which was basic but very comfortable and with a great view from the deck accross the forest as far as the sea. The eco lodge restaurant served fresh food sourced locally with fish caught on the day. There was a limited menu but the quality was excellent even for the travelling vegetarian. The owners live on site and are both friendly and keen to make sure guests have a great experience. The bar closed at 9pm and most guests retired early. The site was very quiet, and even the howler monkeys dawn chorus at 5pm did not often wake us!

We enjoyed guided walks through the rain forest and self guided walks to the beach ( 15 mins away) all within the extensive grounds of the estate. Our guide Hiraldo was clearly an experienced botanist/ecologist and provided possibly the best guided tours i have ever experienced. The tours are limited to small numbers so you really get individual attention. There are lots of activities off site such as horse riding and surfing which many guests enjoyed.

We stayed over christmas which thankfully was treated just as any normal day - a real relief if you want to get away from the commercialism of christmas/ New Year.

I would love to go back some time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This place lived up to our expectations. While not perfect, the setting, the service, the food, and the activities are for the most part very good. The best part is the Osa itself - you are truly off the grid - no internet, phone, TV, newspaper, etc. You immediately lose track of what day it is and quickly start to lose track of the time. You are truly in the wild, but the hotel and its grounds are fastidiously cared for. The rooms, while simple, are large and spotless. The trails are groomed incredibly well - astounding really, given how quickly the jungle must try to reclaim them. The staff, including the owners, are very attentive, helpful, and accommodating.

It is expensive, but but still about half the price of Lapas Rios, which is 5-10 minutes down the road, which has more all-inclusive pricing. While more luxury is certainly possible, it wasn't what we looked for in an off the grid experience like this. La Remanso strikes a good balance between feeling comfortable while knowing that you are truly in a wild and remote location.

Room Tip: The basic cabins are similar in size and function, but a little older. We switched rooms part way t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My fiancé and I spent three nights at El Remanso in early January 2014. It truly is difficult to put in words how amazing our stay was, but I will try. We were in the La Guinda cabin, which was beautiful. This is one of the two "deluxe" cabins, but as far as I can tell the standard cabins were also quite nice. La Guinda had a great deck overlooking forest canopy and the Pacific Ocean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was out of this world. What I liked most about El Remanso was the pure serenity combined with the Jurassic Park-like level of amazing wildlife. We had spider monkeys swing past the cabin in the morning, toucans singing in the trees, with scarlet macaws soaring overhead.

The beach below El Remanso is out of this world. It is about a 10-15 minute walk down to the beach and a 15-20 minute walk back up. There are literally no signs of civilization on the beach and at least for us, we almost always had it to ourselves. I thought I might be a little disappointed not being able to swim in the ocean (it is not recommended due to strong rip currents), but the tide pools provided a spectacular spa-like setting were we could lounge in the sun. Some of the pools are an almost perfect oval and look like they were custom-made for lounging.

We took part in the long ridge nature hike as well as the night hike and waterfall rappelling. I would highly recommend these outings, especially any of the outings with one of the naturalists. Gerardo and Marlin provided excellent insight and pointed out the smallest details. We saw all four varieties of monkey found in Costa Rica, too many varieties of birds to remember, fascinating insects, bats, and, yes, snakes. I speak almost no Spanish and had no problem communicating with the guides. If you want a little more excitement, the waterfall rappelling was a blast.

For down-time there is a beautiful pool where you can lounge in the sun with a pina colada. Make sure to bring your camera - some of my best pictures of wildlife came pool-side.

As for food, each and every meal was great. There were always fresh fish selections for dinner and the portions were huge! The kitchen and bar staff was more than accommodating.

I could go on and on about El Remanso... I have traveled in Europe, South America, the Caribbean, and much of the United States and can honestly say that this is one of the most unique, beautiful, and serene places I have ever visited. The lodging may seem expensive at first glance, but when you figure in the included meals (all of which would add up fast if purchased at a restaurant) and the level of service it really is quite reasonable. Also, El Remanso is on the proverbial edge of the Earth and it cannot be cheap to run such a high-level operation at that location. In short, it's more than worth it. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Benjamin R
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I went to El Remanso for my best friends wedding in September 2013. The place is absolutely beautiful and the kind staff goes out of their way for their guests. Upon arrival I was greeted by the owners Adri and Dani who served a drink and explained the layout, amenities, and activities. The cabins and grounds are very clean and I enjoyed falling asleep at night to the sounds of the rain forest and the waves crashing on the beach below. The meals each day were delicious and well planned with a variety of options.

I enjoyed exploring the rainforest with friends for a week leading up to the wedding. One of the most memorable hikes was up a river to reach a magnificent waterfall in the Rain Forest, and then down to the beach where the river spills into the Pacific Ocean. We observed many kinds of wildlife and only to name a few; spider monkeys, howler monkeys, white-faced monkeys, squirrel monkeys, scarlet macaws, toucans, and many types of frogs. We were able to take pictures of red-eyed tree frogs that look like they belong in National Geographic.

Adri and Dani also helped organize a fishing trip out of Puerto Jimenez where we observed whales breaching, dolphins swimming in front of the boat, and I was able to catch a 60 lb yellow fin tuna. We brought tuna and dorado back to the wedding and the chefs prepared sashimi as an appetizer and seared filets for lunch the next day.

After 15 years of travel across the globe this is the first review I have written. The experience was most memorable and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I spent a few days at El Remanso last December and I honestly cannot wait to go back there, the Lodge is definitively worth the drive from San Jose'! I have been now living in Costa Rica for just over two years, I travel the country constantly and have to say that this has been the best place I have had the pleasure of visiting, finding everything as close to perfection as possible, from the warm welcome I was given by Silvia to the marvellous accomodations to the excellent food and service, to the very professionally organized tours on and off the property, Every member of the staff turned out to be corteous and capable and what impressed me the most was the true attention and care shown to the surrounding forest, the flora, the fauna and the gorgeous pristine beach, Things are run keeping in mind that to be an eco-lodge worthy of its name, respect to nature and its inhabitants is a must and that turned out to be the El Remanso's philosophy.
I cannot speak highly enough of El Remanso and of the people that work in it, all I can say is that it turned out to be a veritable slice of heaven: I enjoyed every single minute I spent there and left feeling happy for having discovered a place where people really work hard at preserving the wilderness so that the rest of us can enjoy it.
What else to add? Thank you to you all at the Lodge, hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: I stayed both at Casa Osa - great large patio, and at a Deluxe Cabin overlooking the pool, the fore...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo