“Unbeleivable!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lawrence, Kansas
“Unbeleivable!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A college friend had cut out an article about El Remanso from a travel magazine several years ago and tucked it away. A few monts ago she found it and asked our gang of seven if they would want to go to El Remanso to celebrate our 60th birthdays and 40 years of friendship. Four of us booked our plans with no expectations of what was in store for us. It was UNBELIEVABLE! The staff is so friendly and helpful and we felt right at home that first evening. The other guests became like long lost friends as we ate meals together and shared adventures. In fact, it reminded me of being at camp 50 years ago, which I loved. We had our camp directors, Adrianna and Daniel. We had our counselors (guides), Gerardo and Rinaldo. We had our adventures of hiking, zip lining, rappelling down the waterfalls, tidal pools, etc. We had quiet time by the pool or with the massuese. Best of all, were the three excelent meals that were served each day (complete with dessert). We met at the lodge each evening for Happy Hour and snacks to view the beautiful sunset. There are no evening activities after dinner which aren't needed as much as rest. The cabins are rustic (in a good way) with beautiful views of the ocean and jungle. Instead of the ringing of a bell to wake us up each morning, we were greeted with the very loud crys of the howler monkey. The nature was, again, unbelievable! A highlight was when the beautiful macaws flew into the trees by the lodge each day. The biggest highlight was when a group of capuchin monkeys decided to settle into the trees rifgt next door tothe lodge after breakfast. One monkey entertained us by peeling a coconut and eating it. And, of couse, being with one's best buddies was special. We acted as if we were still in college but in a totally magical enviornment. I will encourage anyone to spend some time at El Remanso but the girl trip was a blast. We felt very taken care of and trusted the staff that doing scary was going to happen. We pushed our limits and went outside of the box in this adventure. It was a trip of a lifetime! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Room Tip: The ocean view cabins and deluxe cabins are a little more secluded than the rooms next to the lodge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I ventured off with three other friends to the El Remanso lodge with no idea of what lay before me. I looked at the pictures on their website and I also knew it was an Eco-Lodge. What I found was an extraordinary place in the most beautiful setting. Some highlights for me were: our room, the friendliest staff I have ever encountered, meeting other guests from all over the world and adventures that I will never forget (specifically the water rappelling). The memories of my experience there will linger on forever!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the deluxe cabins called La Vanillia. It overlooks the ocean and is one of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed January 24, 2013

El Remanso is the epitomy of what an eco lodge should strive for. If you are travelling to the Osa Pennisula, this is a must.The planning and effort to make the lodge both sustainable and functional is a model that is an outstanding example of what can be achieved.We have a house in Costa Rica but hadn't been to Puerta Jimenez. We are used to the rough roads and jungle noises. The 4:30am wakeup call from the howlers becomes almost white noise after a while and you miss it when you return back home. What I found unique to El Remanso besides the eco nature of the lodge is their caring human nature. Each staff member makes the effort to make sure that every guest is well looked after. From the time of booking with the personable Gabby to our final departure time we were cared for.There isn't any pressure to participate in the many activities that are available but instead the opportunity to have your vacation planned on an individual basis if you would like that. My family enjoyed nature hiking and bird watching with Geraldo ( a truly inspired naturalist,) a canopy breakfast and waterfall repelling. My daughter and I went on an early morning river walk and were thrilled to see a juvenile puna drinking in the river. Our reason to come to the Osa pennisula was to see the Scarlett Macaws and Toucans. We were not disappointed.
The essence of El Remanso is to be part of nature through living in the jungle setting and experiencing what that entails with all the perks. The food was delicious and healthy. We were well fed and pampered.
I will mention that we didn't know there would not be internet or a cell signal at the lodge. This is beneficial to attaining the goal of wanting to be away from it all. We had a pet dog in Costa Rica that had taken ill and I was very concerned.( Never feed your dog chicken strips or jerky made in China or Thailand.) I asked if there was any way that they could contact the person caring for our dog.Adriana the young woman that runs El Remanso said she would right away radio in the request. Adriana called 3 times a day and reported back to me what condition Fred was in at that time. .Although it was a roller coaster ride of sometimes good and sometimes not good news,(Fred did pass away) I will be forever thankful to Adriana for making the effort to help us in a stressful time.
We will hopefully return to the lodge someday soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have traveled all over the world and this was by far my favorite trip ever. My husband and I took our two children, 14 and 10, to El Remanso for the week of Christmas. Upon arrival, we were introduced to the staff and then greeted by name the rest of the week. They kept up this type of personal touch to everything they did for us. The lodge grounds are in the heart of the rainforest and we were surrounded by wildlife constantly. Always have your camera ready. We spent most of our stay in the La Guinda cabin which overlooked a jungle corridor and allowed us to see monkeys passing by daily. The cabin was extremely clean and decorated with fresh hibiscus when we arrived. There was a wide variety of food offered in the dining area at each meal and any change or special request was accomodated. The food was delicious! We did the 3-4 hour jungle hike, waterfall repelling, horseback riding and night jungle tour. I would do them all again. If you do the horseback riding, be prepared to gallop on the beach. It is thriling! We also spent time on the beach, searching the tide pools, and doing rainforest walks on our own (there are several marked trails). The pool was clean and refreshing. We often used it to cool off in after returning from a hot activity. I will say that in order to participate in many of the excursions, it helps to be fit. Other guests we saw that were not used to much physical activity seemed to struggle with some of the hiking and the walk up the 266 steps from the beach (yes, we counted them). The only problem we had at El Remanso was getting pool towels early in the day because they use solar to dry them and an overcast day slowed the process. It was a minor issue. I have never had such a hard time ending a vacation, but felt entirely invigorated by the time we left. Our family misses you all and hope that we can return in the future. Thanks for the adventure of a lifetime!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank smolk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Looking for something authentic where to spend our Christmas break with our teens, El Remanso Lodge was the perfect place: from the very first contact in Puerto Jimenez with Gabby and Jose to the last warm goodbye hugs with Tamar, Silvana, Adriana and Daniel, we knew the location was worth it. Friendly, polite and so hospitable staff, healthy and tasteful food, amazing guides, cocktails to die for (even around the pool), great organization, ...the list is too long!
We, parents, had the "Bajamar" ocean view room in Casa Poniente, nearby the pool area. Very peaceful! The room was spacious and clean and the bed amazingly comfortable! We slept like babies under the anti-mosquitoes net! Even the efficient fan in the room could not wake us up! Our large terrace surrounded by huge plants and bamboos gave us enough privacy for sharing time with our young adults. We loved the hammock for afternoon reading and napping.
We knew everything was open space before arriving, and the bathroom was no exception! Although outside, the shower offers a surprisingly privacy! And what a pleasure to contemplate all these exotic flowers from your bathroom. Priceless!
Since we came back from this peaceful paradise, we highly recommend El Remanso to all our friends, hoping we will return one day soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CoconutDallas
Dublin, Georgia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Found this fabulous lodge on the net..last minute arrangements made with exceptional efficiency from the staff at El Remanso. We really did not know what to expect but from the time we arrived until the time we reluctantly departed, we were totally impressed. The site was just perfection and the accommodations were rustic and charming, clean and quiet (we stayed in Casa Osa).. the dedication to sustainable ecotourism was evident and not just a cliche. We will return and hopefully very soon Georgia Travelers

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We recently spent a week at El Remanso in the stunning Osa Peninsula. It was actually our second time at this same spectacular lodge! We went two years ago for a romantic anniversary get-away and decided to return to Costa Rica again. This very special place in the heart of the rain forest just bekons you back. The first time we only spent three nights and it was just too short as many other reviewers had warned. We stayed in the El Lucero classic cabin and it had recently been updated since our last time. Beautiful airiness at night. Total privacy. Gorgeous garden with native plants. So much attention to comfort, but not in-your-face. We returned from long hikes to find that our bed had been made and fresh flowers were placed in the room. Some of the other area lodges which were double the price would have been too hovering in their desire to serve. At El Remanso, the contientious owners direct their staff to offer just enough pampering. It was so beautifully orchestrated.

We like to be independent in our travels and explorations on our own. This was possible at El Remanso. There are plenty of hiking trails. The beach is wonderful and lagoon. Plenty of wildlife. We saw macaws, toucans, spider monkeys, pecaries, frogs galore, coatis, tropical birds of many kinds. In addition to solo hikes, we opted for expert guided hikes. The guides are so knowledgeable and listen to where your interests lie. We were asked by one guide "so what animal is on your wish list?"

The early morning bird watching is incredible. The guide helped us take pictures through the scope. We must have seen thirty different species that day. So much biological information about the birds and their habitats. We also took a night hike which was so amazing. Seeing a Jesus Christ lizard laying eggs and the guide knew exactly where to go to find amazing things. Night can be a bit scary, especially in an unfamiliar forest, but the guides make you feel so safe.

We did waterfall repelling, tree climbing and horseback riding for adventures. I had never done any of these before El Remanso in my life! I am not a dare devil and don't even go on roller coasters or anything, but the staff is so confident and explains everything, that you can put your trust in them. I can proudly say I repelled the four waterfalls and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

The meals are wonderful at El Remanso with many choices for breakfast. Also two or three choices each other meal. We never had a repeat the week we were there. I had many allergies to accommodate for the kitchen, and the staff was happy to make any changes. They were careful with my needs. Everything was done with a genuine smile.

Helpful things to have--headlamps for late afternoon hikes and evening walks, plastic bags with rice for emergency electronic dryouts (it is humid in the jungle), quick drying clothes, Keen style shoes (the lodge has big rubber boots to loan) If you want to enter the natural world of tropical rain forests, but still feel like there is a safe and comfortable refuge close by, this is a perfect place. We absolutely loved it!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple