“best place in town”

Hotel Mariposario Montezuma Gardens
Ranked #3 of 15 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2009

First thing you need to decide is if you want to stay in the down town area or out of town area. The town is very small (i mean small !! its a T-shape that's 50 meters, but that's why its so great) the downtown part is loud at night and generally more expensive, if you are in Montezuma to party then downtown is the place to be. The draw back is that you don't see much wildlife and it is loud. I like to party, but it's to loud for me. The area away from town is still in walking distance to the restaurants and bars in town and you really get to see what Costa Rica has to offer as in wildlife, not just the party scene.
Now, for the hotel itself. We loved this place!!!!! It was clean, cute, and the breakfast is amazing. The people that run it are awesome! They can really help you with anything you need. The place is operated with you in mind and you don't feel like you are on anyone's schedule. Breakfast is between 6-9am, and is always great! i cant tell you enough about how wonderful the people are. I think I partied more than there usual guests do, but they seemed to enjoy my antics (i racked up a healthy tab in the 5 days we stayed there)
Okay, the hill is bad! It is a steep triple hill incline straight up. We walked up it once and didn't do it again. The location is great, you are on the hill looking over the ocean and butterfly garden ( yes, butterfly garden, this was what sold me on the place, mainly for my G-friend. its very cool) the breeze is cool and you don't really need the A/C unless you need a freezing cold, mid day, sun burnt, hangover nap. The walk down to the town is great, this is when you see a lot of wild life. I think the walk to town was one of the best parts of the stay and when you have had enough beer and beach, the cab from town to the hotel is about $2 so its a no brainier! All in all we loved this place and would feel like we were cheating on them if we stayed some were else the next time we are in Montezuma!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2009

This is a clean, friendly place to stay with wonderful breakfasts (thanks Morgan) BUT we did not have a car and the hill (with three very steep inclines) makes walking to and from Montezuma difficult - especially for "mature" travellers like us. If you had a car I would not hesitate to recommend this place - Josh and Ryan are helpful, Morgan is a darling and Summer is adorable. We truly enjoyed the monkeys at breakfast and lots of good advice and help. But don't stay here if you are older and you don't have a car as you will need to take cabs (2000-2500 CRC) home every day. And the TV's in the rooms should work easily when there is nothing else to do at night.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Cleanliness is a priority for my husband and I and, although this is a pretty nice place, as a previous reviewer mentioned, it needed to be kept a little cleaner. Our impression was that the owners didn't hit it too hard and that the building and butterfly gardens will decline over time as it is not kept up like it could be. It is 1/2 mile up a very steep hill and yes, get a 4wd and don't skimp. I couldn't imagine walking to it from Montezuma. The two of us had the cheapest 4wd from Dollar and wished we would have gotten a nicer one to handle the roads. For the $50 per night, I still think it is a good value. However, we saw other hotels in town (Amore de Mar, Luz de Mono) we wished we would have checked out.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Me and one friend booked two rooms for three days at the beginning of the year, the reservation was for next month (Febr 12). We both made a bank deposit and send an email with the transaction number. Two days after it, one of the owners of the hotel sent an email to my friend saying that they had a confusion and they did not have available rooms for his reservation. They returned the money and my friend found another hotel, I keeped the same reservation, everything was fine, even the day I started the travel, I made a phone call to the hotel just to say that I was gonna arrive late cause one flight was delayed and I could not get the connection on time, and also to ask for the address.

They gave me the address and told me that there was no problem at all. Some hours later, at 8pm I arrived with my friends and one of the owners tell me that they made a confussion cause they have two books for reservations and have no room available for me.

They have only four rooms and two books for the reservations!!! it was very irresponsible. I have no idea how are they in charge of the hotel!!!

The guy gave me my money back, and told me that he made another reservation in a hotel close to Montezuma Gardens. I asked him to call the hotel where my friends where staying and he did it right in front of me, but told me that they had no vacancy.
I went to the other hotel, El Sano Banano and "surprise" they had vacancy and nobody called some minutes before asking for a room.

I am very disappointed...

Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank Will-cr
Dryadula, Owner at Hotel Mariposario Montezuma Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2010

We sincerely appreciate all feedback on what we call our "little slice of paradise" and regret the system failure that caused this. On the positive side, this caused us to review and reform our booking and reservation system, which allows us to bring better service to our guests, for which we are very grateful.

Reviewed January 29, 2009

Montezuma was by far my favorite destination during my trip to Costa Rica, and the Butterfly Gardens made it so much more enjoyable! My husband and I planned to stay 2 nights but were fortunately able to stay 3 at this b&b. The owners were so nice, and gave town recommendations whenever we needed them.

We stayed in the Morpho room. It had a queen and single bed I believe, a tv, nice a/c, and a small balcony. I don't think you could flush the toilet paper, but a lot of places in Costa Rica are like that. They made fresh breakfast every morning, and everyday we were there the meal was different. The girl that made breakfast was super nice and they had great vegetarian options. They also had internet access and laundry service for very small fees. Drinks also available for purchase in the lobby - very convenient.

The butterfly garden itself was awesome. I'm not a butterfly professional or anything, but it was great seeing lots of butterflies in the big screened-in area with a large variety of plants they like.

The b&b is up a steep hill, so I would definitely recommend a 4WD car, and I wouldn't skimp on it either. The roads are not great (for most of Costa Rica). It's also a shortish hike to the waterfalls, which was my favorite experience of the whole trip - you will not forget swimming in the large waterfall.

The Butterfly Gardens is an excellent B&B that I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 17, 2008

My wife and I spent 6 nights in Montezuma and loved our stay at the Butterfly Gardens. Ryan and Josh (brothers) were great hosts and fix a great breakfast. From the porch we saw hummingbirds, the strangest squirrels I've ever seen and one day even a monkey! You could hear howler monkeys every evening and I finally saw one from the road. There are also the most incredible purple and orange crabs along the road and beautiful birds everywhere.

Montezuma is perfect for a secluded getaway. Getting there is a bit of a challenge, but it is SO worth it. The restaurants were all between very good to excellent and very reasonable. The town was a funky mix of nationalities and all the people are friendly and very laid back. Most of the beaches are amazing though one had a lot of trash that had washed up from the "mainland" (Montezuma is on a peninsula). For a great massage walk up the beach (north) about 1/4 a mile to the "ritzy" resort. But stay at the Butterfly Gardens - clean, comfortable, great a.c. and satellite tv. Balcony was perfect for reading books during a 6 hour rain storm! The waterfalls were within a short walk and the canopy zip line tour (A MUST!!!) is at the top of the hill. I jumped off the short waterfall but didn't have the guts to follow the college age kids off the big one (I'm a little more cautious in my 40s).

Make sure you rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle for this region. There are very steep inclines and you are going to want to explore LOTS of places (nature reserves, "hidden" beaches, etc.). You could walk into town, but the way back would wear out even a fairly physcially fit person. My only regret is that during the rainy season snorkeling was the pits. I hope to go back some day when the water is clearer. If we do, we will definitely stay at the Butterfly Gardens again.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We visited Costa Rica for nine days in July, three of which we spent in Montezuma. After checking Trip Advisor we booked three nights at Montezuma Gardens. The B&B is owned by a couple of brothers who seem to be in their mid-20s. It is run by them and a woman of similar age. A one- or two-year old toddler is also in residence. Our hosts were very friendly and hospitable. Nonetheless, we cut our stay short and changed hotels for the remainder of our time in Montezuma.

The rooms were small, basic and extremely spartan. The common area was decorated and maintained in a way that you would expect from recent college grads. I will add that the breakfasts were quite good!

While Montezuma Gardens wasn't what we were looking for, I do recommend it for visitors to Montezuma with ages and tastes similar to the hosts. I think guests with appropriate expectations will find their stay quite enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple