“Pretty and well kept, nice staff and guests” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Luna Llena Hotel
You added Luna Llena Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Chicago, Illinois
“Pretty and well kept, nice staff and guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This hotel has a variety of private rooms with and without bath and dorm to suit all budgets. We had room 8, which is actually a free standing little house closer to the road. We liked our little home a lot, but you need the provided Mosquito net on your bed as there are plenty openings for them to enter the house. The bathroom and shower worked perfectly.
Staff were super friendly and helpful, the owner Milli and her son Luciano also were very nice. For Christmas eve Milli shared a big bottle of wine and cookies with her guests. The common area is occasionally being invaded by Capuchin monkeys trying to steal food (and sometimes successfully). The place seems to attract nice guests from all over.
One little warning - the road is very close and you'll hear trucks and cars with howling engines even late at night. Bring ear plugs!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bunny B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Medellin, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

we stayed in Luna llena for the new year`s eve. the place is located up from the village, so if walking with lot of luggage it can be a bit of a hike. our private room (for four people) was standard quality (standard rustic quality:D) and I think for four people it would have been too small (we were two). the communal areas are very pretty and comfortable and the place was tidy and well kept. we were happy with the service, no breakfast included, but there is a fully equipped kitchen available (although one of the fridges seemed to be broken). the hotel organises a bbq every thursday, but somehow this time they were unable to cater the vegetarian option. great views!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Having stayed in a few places in Montezuma, I can say that Luna Llena is my favourite. Not far up the hill that leads north out of town, it's priced between the low and mid range for the area, depending on what room you get. There are inexpensive dorm beds, more private rooms with shared spaces, and at least one room with a private shower and bathroom. Since that's the room we stayed in, that what this review is based on.

Luna Llena is comfortable, clean, and terraced, with reception, shared lounging areas and the kitchen, and the dorm rooms all in the same building right up at the top. There's a great view of the sunrise through the trees, and having the lounging areas and kitchen in such close proximity makes it easy to meet other travellers, or make food and wander off to your own spot. I know that the management has little control over the quality of its guests, but when we stayed there there were several really lovely guests with who I remain in touch; the sociable layout of Luna Llena really helped facilitate our meeting.

Luna Llena does not pretend to be a high-end spa or resort, and it sits beautifully in the trees, so you should expect simple accommodations (and that is not a slight, just an observation - and why travel to Costa Rica to sit inside?) and the likelihood of wildlife visitors outside of your room. We encountered titi and spider monkeys, a coati, and a variety of birds - all at a distance, but close enough to make for great pictures. The folks at Luna Llena also hold the house rules regarding safety seriously, but that never stopped any of them from being pleasant and helpful. For LGBT* travellers, our hosts (and guests) were perfectly lovely to this gay tourist and his husband.

The hotel is also a short walk from the centre of Montezuma, its many beautiful beaches, waterfalls, and the refreshing Piedras Coloradas (on the way to Playa Grande). And though there was a water shortage while we stayed at Luna Llena, the staff went out of their way to make sure there was enough water for us to make meals and clean up.

We plan to return to Montezuma and Luna Llena. It's priced just right for what it offers and, like Montezuma itself, strikes a nice balance between rustic and manicured, busy and off the beaten track.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom, get room 8 - and reserve well ahead for the high season!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kerux
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

The hotel is really beautiful and clean. There is a barbecue. The ocean view is not as amazing as expected because we can only sea the sea through the trees (even for the most expensive rooms) As we are surrounding by jungle, we can hear and see animals like monkeys and squirrels and it's really enjoyable. Be careful if you have heavy bags,there are a lot of stairs to get to the rooms! It's five minutes walk from the beach. There is only one ATM so that it can be useful to withdraw money in another city before coming.as it was out of service during our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarineHugo
Berea, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and loved my stay!! I traveled solo and got a private room. The grounds are really beautiful and make you feel as if there's nothing else around. I also had a nice ocean view from my room. Hard to beat for the price. You're also just a short walk from the restaurants and bar. Yes BAR...there is only one, but it is a rather charming place. If I were going back to Montezuma I would stay at Luna Llena again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Mark D
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had a great experience at Luna Llena. Everything was very clean and comfortable. My room was simple (bed, table, fan, and light), but was all I needed because really, if you´re spending a lot of time in your room, you´re doing it wrong!

The shared bathrooms and showers were very clean, as was the fully equipped kitchen. The common areas were welcoming, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My laptop did not fit in the safe provided in the room, so they kept it in the office safe for me during my stay. They booked my water taxi to Jaco for no additional premium to the prices in town.

One morning I woke up to a monkey staring at me when I left my room, and another morning there was an ant eater roaming around. Lots of wildlife in the trees surrounding the hotel, which I loved!

Because it is low season now, I was able to get a bigger room for a cheaper price. The only downside was the that wifi was spotty, but that can be expected anywhere in Costa Rica. All in all, I was very happy with my stay at Luna Llena, and I would go back again when I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mariskar
MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I showed up at Luna Llena and walked up the series of steps to find out they were booked solid. I was treated like dirt the second some German woman, with zero to no people skills, found out I didn't have reservations. I talked with fellow travelers I met the following day who had their reservation cancelled because they were an hour late for check in and the owner was, as they put it, "awful and mean". Luna Llena is located off of a windy steep road and away from the fun. I can't comment on the condition of the rooms or cleanliness, just the rude staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mattyc169
Milly A, Propietario at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guests, I would like to apologize for any unpleasant moments in our hotel in the past. From the beginning of December until Easter weekend, we get really busy. To avoid any inconvenient situations, please make a reservation. Also, if anything comes in your way and you will not make it in time, please call us. In these months sometimes people are in line hoping to get a room. It is not always easy to handle stressed out travellers but we do our best as always to accommodate everyone. Safe travelings and sunny regards from Milly & Staff.