“Really enjoyed my time at Luna Llena”
Review of Luna Llena Hotel

Luna Llena Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had a great experience at Luna Llena. Everything was very clean and comfortable. My room was simple (bed, table, fan, and light), but was all I needed because really, if you´re spending a lot of time in your room, you´re doing it wrong!

The shared bathrooms and showers were very clean, as was the fully equipped kitchen. The common areas were welcoming, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My laptop did not fit in the safe provided in the room, so they kept it in the office safe for me during my stay. They booked my water taxi to Jaco for no additional premium to the prices in town.

One morning I woke up to a monkey staring at me when I left my room, and another morning there was an ant eater roaming around. Lots of wildlife in the trees surrounding the hotel, which I loved!

Because it is low season now, I was able to get a bigger room for a cheaper price. The only downside was the that wifi was spotty, but that can be expected anywhere in Costa Rica. All in all, I was very happy with my stay at Luna Llena, and I would go back again when I return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mariskar

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I showed up at Luna Llena and walked up the series of steps to find out they were booked solid. I was treated like dirt the second some German woman, with zero to no people skills, found out I didn't have reservations. I talked with fellow travelers I met the following day who had their reservation cancelled because they were an hour late for check in and the owner was, as they put it, "awful and mean". Luna Llena is located off of a windy steep road and away from the fun. I can't comment on the condition of the rooms or cleanliness, just the rude staff.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mattyc169
Milly A, Propietario at Luna Llena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guests, I would like to apologize for any unpleasant moments in our hotel in the past. From the beginning of December until Easter weekend, we get really busy. To avoid any inconvenient situations, please make a reservation. Also, if anything comes in your way and you will not make it in time, please call us. In these months sometimes people are in line hoping to get a room. It is not always easy to handle stressed out travellers but we do our best as always to accommodate everyone. Safe travelings and sunny regards from Milly & Staff.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here just for one night on a Saturday. I had a single room, which was small but clean and comfy. The hotel put on a BBQ that night, which was excellent. A really sociable, relaxed place with very helpful and accommodating staff.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at Luna LLena our first night in Montezuma and had a nice time. We stayed in Cabin 8, the private cabin with a private bath/shower and patio. It was a lot smaller than we expected, but it was very nice. Milly, the owner, was so sweet and helpful. The lounge they have by the office is fantastic! It was so peaceful and quiet (almost too quiet!). They have a kitchen you can help yourself too, a book exchange, they had some light music playing and several couches, chairs, tables, hammocks, etc. I'd have to say the only pain was the ATV's and quads driving were so loud at night. I don't know how much you can avoid that though. The fan in the room came in handy! We were able to sleep comfortably in terms of humidity. Bring a flashlight if you're walking up and down the steps at night! It's pitch black, slippery and steep (that would probably be the only other small complaint I have). All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed three nights. Although my room was very small and had only a fan, I slept well despite the humidity. Whatever shortcomings the room had were more than offset by the jungle location and stunning deck/breakfast area. We were visited by a monkey and huge iguana at breakfast, and the two cats were always present. It's only two mins walk from the village too. Milly and Ezequiel were very nice and helped to booked tours and confirm arrangements. Other staff kept the place very tidy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank James-the-Kiwi
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a great stay here. The property is terraced with multiple little hidden walkways that make for an adventure every trip around the hostel. Monkeys and parrots are all around in the trees and you get cool mosquito nets. I would call this my favorite stop on the trip if it hadn't been for the hot nights. We went in early August and the fan in the room just didn't cut the heat. Other than that, it was a FANTASTIC property and was the first one I wanted to review out of the 7 places we stayed in CR. Great, great, great helpful staff who helped us book transportation as well as our next hostel stay in Santa Teresa. I would definitely return here. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at Luna Llena for four nights, and had a great time. The grounds are beautiful, and very in touch with nature. The balcony area is wonderful, and the kitchen was very clean and useful. The staff was very helpful, down to the security guard who helped us pay when we forgot to take care of checkout the night before we left early. The private room was a decent size, unfortunately one of us got hit by mosquitos hard but that's why they include the net (and something to be expected on the coast). Overall, very good experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple