“Great location”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Toronto
“Great location”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Although the rooms are much like dorm rooms for the price to stay per night it is reasonable. The staff are extremely nice and accomodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronda404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
stlpisces
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My husband, nephew, his wife, and I traveled to Montezuma for the film festival and vacation. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay at Sano Banano.

Rooms are clean, but a bit musty. I think primarily due to the humidity. I always take ear plugs with me when I travel so even though there was some noise, it did not disturb me. No problems with hot water in room 2. The window in rooms 1 & 2 actually face the hallway, but we only used the room to sleep or nap, so it was not a problem. Sano Banano is in the center of town so a great location.

I thought the staff and service was great, if you're in a hurry, you may not like waiting for your check, but it's no problem, just ask for it. Everyone at Sano Banano is friendly and helpful. Loved the fruit and yogurt plate for breakfast. Yang Yang has a few more selections on the menu, both restaurants had decent food and your check is printed with both colones and US Dollars. (These were the only establishments we visited who did this) The pool at Yang Yang is nice and the view from the restaurant is great. There is a place around the corner that will do your laundry for a few bucks if you want to pack light. The white faced monkeys visited us at both Sano Banano and Yang Yang. They are cute!

The beaches have both rock and sand, the surf does bring in some trash close to town. If you don't mind walking, you can find your way to a nice spot to swim. Chico's is the primary nightlife, there is music, food, and a pool table. We rented 4 wheelers and drove to Mal Pais, visited the Butterfly Garden, and hiked to the waterfall. Our group of 4 did not have problems with insects but would recommend taking and using bug spray.

The internet access next door was not free but the cost is minimal.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank stlpisces
New York, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I went to El Sano with my fiance we are 27 and 29 and we had an amazing time. This hotel is amazing! The staff is so sweet, from the receptionist to the waiters. Everyone greated us with a smile. We were not sure what to expect when we went but once we got there wished that we had scheduled out more time here OR picked is as our last place place to visit b4 we left bc we enjoyed ourselves so much it almost ruined everywhere else we went after. The beaches are rough but very pretty and clean. Like anywhere, you do have to watch your things but thats anywhere you travel. The food is also very good, I recommend you try the veggie quesedilla and they tuna salad. The best is getting a table on the front porch and people watching. The rooms are basic but very clean and kinda cute, beware you may find a gecco in there :) They show movies at night, so my fiance and i would grab a good table for dinner and then stay put and continue to have drinks once the movie started. We spent lots of time at the beach and also went to the sister resort Ylang Ylang which has a very nice pool and is fun to walk around (you can order drinks by the pool) At night the streets of Montezuma turn into a party with fire dancers and jugglers and there is a small bar with a dance floor if your into that. If not, you can grab some drinks and sit on the rocks by the beach and watch the stars. In the mornings if you are up REALLY early you can catch the monkeys in the trees above the bakery across from the library. The only problem we had was that the one ATM in town was broken and had been for months ( take cash) but we had no problem using our credit card. I do feel like I should respond to a previous review on here regarding ppl of other races being treated unfairly. I am black and no one made me feel uncomfortable, called me "negro" or offered me cocaine. And i have a hard time believing this bc there we other non-whites there, including some of the staff who do not fit the description of the other post. Everyone here is redicously friendly. Oh, just a note, if you go take off walking down the beach towards Ylang Ylang its a very pretty and a fun walk if you like to explore.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BMHart
New York City
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The food, especially the seafood, is surprisingly good. Good, friendly staff. And it's nice how they show a movie at night in the restaurant. The hotel is near the beach and other local hangouts, which is good if you want to mingle with others - but it gets noisy at night. But we had a couple of major issues: 1) they claim they have Internet access in the hotel, but you actually have to go to the usually packed Internet store down the street and pay to use the Internet there (i.e. no Internet at the restaurant or in your room); and 2) There is no running water 85% of the time and you have to tell them early in the morning to turn it on so you can shower, etc.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travel4441
Portugal
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Nice rooms ,spacious bathrooms. Good breakfrast with a choice off juices, food and fruits. Excellent staff, always fullfilling any need U may have.Close to everything. The chance to enjoy Ylang Ylang resort facilities is a bonus (wonderfull place with a marvellous restaurant).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank mariaport68
NY, NY
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I only stayed here one night, but it was an enjoyable experience. The hotel was perfectly located in the center of town, so we could easily walk around. The staff was very friendly and helpful, room was nice and clean, and the free breakfast was delicious. The area of Montezuma in general is really only geared toward a younger, no frills crowd. It has a chill hippy-vibe, so if you are into that, this place is perfect. The hot water wasn't working, but this didn't bother us very much. Overall, we had an excellent stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tsac33
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I have stayed at this place a couple of times and think it is great value for money - especially when you take into consideration that you can use the facilities at Ylang Ylang (the pricer partner) down the beach. Fabulous food at both places. The only criticim I have is that the last time I went I had booked two double rooms, and specified that I wanted one with two single beds and one double. It was New Year so the town was packed and I am sure they had overbooked - they tried to give us one room with two double beds. I had booked months in advance to avoid this kind of thing - although they at first insisted it wouldn't be possible, after I produced the e-mails (where they had confirmed the two rooms with the single and double beds) they suddenly found a way to make it happen. Otherwise, as I said, great place - great food - I love Montezuma and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family