Sano Banano Beachside Hotel
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$62
  • Pool
Hotel Casitas Sollevante(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$99
Hotel Aurora(Montezuma)
$60
$30
Hotel Casacolores(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Priceline
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Breakfast included
The Howler Monkey Hotel(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$70
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$29
Priceline
$239
$200
All reviewssister resortylang ylangbanana pancakeshot watercosta ricaincluded breakfastboat taxirooms are cleanexcellent staystaff was very friendly and helpfulmiddle of townspecial thanksper nightwould highly recommend this hotellarge roommontezuma beachchecking out
Reviewed November 26, 2013

“El Sano Banano”: Who would not like the name? So we booked the night before arriving after some browsing on the Internet, and … landed in a room with a window to a dark corridor. Arriving late we were too tired to change. We later discovered that there are a couple of other rooms without a view, which probably is OK as long as you know it before booking.

Our room proved to be all right in all other respects. However, WiFi was not working there, so we had to go downstairs for sufficient reception. Misleadingly, the swimming pool listed on the web under “Amenities” is located at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort about a 15 minutes’ pleasant beach walk from our hotel. The next day we went there for a splash, an experience we recommend.

The El Sano Banano staff was friendly and helpful. We also very much enjoyed our breakfast on the terrace which was included in the reasonably low price for the room. We eventually stayed two nights and slept very well in the isolation of our room without a view.

Room Tip: View or no view that is the question! A place for cool people (We probably were not cool enough)!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel was my only disappointment in almost three weeks in Costa Rica. My room was not ready when I arrived, and they invited me to have a drink (on my dime) while it was hurriedly made up. The toilet was dirty when I was shown to the room, which was tiny and cramped with two beds. The water in the shower was tepid. Food at the restaurant is relatively expensive for what you get. The movie night sounds like a good idea, but the volume is very loud and I found I had to leave and wander the streets of the small town to get away from it. Admittedly, I am not fond of movie theaters in the US for this reason.

The hotel staff was indifferent, but the wait staff for the restaurant was outstanding. Great bunch of guys (two are brothers). Hotel and entire block is owned by a Dutch employer. I didn't particularly like this fact and tried to eat elsewhere to keep my dollars (colones) local and get a better value for my money.

It was not a horrible experience, but I did get better value at an equally priced hotel in Manuel Antonio, which is known for being overpriced. (They had HOT water and very clean and spacious rooms. And an attentive staff.)

Overall, would not recommend Sano Banano. There are other hotels located up the hill (still VERY close to this tiny town) that look cute, are surrounded by green instead of streets, and may be a better value.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed September 17, 2013

El Sano Banano was one of the best places we stayed during our trip to Costa Rica. The rooms were sealed and clean, I was not paranoid of bugs (which is amazing!!!!)! The location was great... Montezuma is a small beach town and basically everything is right around you at this hotel. You are steps away from shops, restaurants, the beach, activities... whatever you might want to do here! The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating and the prices were pretty decent (I think around $60 per night). The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were good too. Everything was nice and clean with basic normal amenities (television, safe).

The restaurant downstairs is great for breakfast (their french toast was amazing! with passion fruit juice!) they had pretty good selections for their complimentary breakfast. On the other hand, for other meals, the menu was pretty extensive, normally priced but they are REALLY REALLY SLOW!!! One time we ordered a pizza and we waited over an hour to receive it. They also aren't very good at helping customize food orders, like instead of ordering one of their complicated, many ingredient pizzas, I wanted just a plain pizza with only green peppers, and they told me that they wouldn't be able to do this or it would take them longer than normal to prepare this order???? Doesn't this seem wrong and backwards??

Anyway, in such a small town this is one of the only restaurants that are available and comparable it might be a good one, but the service wasn't too great and the management did not resolve problems very well.

Overall, the hotel was pretty good and we would stay here again!

If you are looking for activities, there is a tour guide station a couple doors down from the hotel. They organized all of our activities and would highly recommend giving them a visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same, just depend on how many beds you need. Some rooms have (I think) like even 4 or 5 beds in there! So if you have a big group and you want to stay in the same room this is possible!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We really liked this hotel. It was clean with good beds and air conditioning for sleeping. The food cost as much as it does in the U.S., so we did not eat there all the time, but it was good when we did. American breakfast (eggs and toast or oatmeal) is included in the price. The staff were nice and very prompt and spoke great English. The hotel is pleasant. We watched the movie they show at night. Also, very clean. Gave us extra towels for the beach whenever needed. The rooms were just big enough to open your suitcase -- no place to unpack a suitcase. This is a nice hotel in the town, considering the budget options that surround it for surfers. We loved the location and walked to everything.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Rooms have a rustic feel and are comfortable with TV & AC and get cleaned to a good standard daily. Although try to make sure your room has a window as one or two don't have any!
The staff here were super friendly and a good laugh. The hotel in situated slap bang in the middle of the small village of montezuma so everything is very close by; Supermarket, restaurants, sodas, bars & travel agencies etc.
The free Breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple