“My Best Stay in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Aurora

Hotel Aurora
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Barcelona
“My Best Stay in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

I heard beautiful things about Costa Rica: nature, nice people and a peaceful environment to rest and relax. I can say that my friends and I found all this on every place we went, but the best experience we found it on the hotel La Aurora in Montezuma. This hotel is located at the very downtown of Montezuma just a few steps from the bus stop, but far enough so that the party doesn’t disturb your sleep.
The room was big enough with comfortable beds, air conditioning and hot water, not to mention a great view of the magnificent nature surrounding Montezuma beach. We always found fresh blankets every day and the cooking facilities where always clean. The hotel personnel were kind, polite and knew what they know their stuff, the service was excellent. All of this at a fair price!
We can say that from all the places we stood on Costa Rica, hotel La Aurora gave us most value for our money, the best 4 days of our travel to Costa Rica! Certainly I will go back to Costa Rica and of course to Montezuma again, but believe me that I won’t stay on another place that is not the hotel La Aurora!!

Leonardo Reyes

• Liked — Air conditioning, location, TV set
  • Disliked — no restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

need ANYONE say more...still have nightmares of waking up with them ALL OVER my bed...yikes. Will NOT be returning EVER.

• Liked — hammocks upstairs.
  • Disliked — again... scorpion infestation...urgh!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gearwater

Travelers are raving about these Montezuma hotels

Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

I thought that the La Aurora Hotel was marvelous! My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and thought this was a wonderful hotel. We were there during the high season, yet the place didn't seem cramped, crowded, or noisy. We could hear the ocean from our room which was upstairs. The second floor also had a deck area with hammocks for a relaxing nap which overlooked a park with exotic plants and flowers. The room we stayed in was small but clean...we had no bug problems whatsoever. They kept it clean, even when we tracked in a bunch of sand from the beach each day!
Downstairs was a small kitchenette, where we were able to cook our own meals, and a dining table with chairs nearby. Follow the rules, though, and clean up after yourself! There is even a fridge in the kitchenette where you can put leftovers! No one bothered our food at all!
The guard did a good job of whatching over the vehicles. We came in late several times and saw him awake and alert! The staff was also friendly and helpful.
Overall, we just loved staying at La Aurora and in Montezuma. We traveled all over Costa Rica and enjoyed these four days the most by far! Next time, we'll probably just stay in Montezuma the whole time!

• Liked — Location and overall experience
  • Disliked — no complaints!
  • Tips/Secrets — be sure and check out the waterfall nearby! Get up early to have the beach to yourself and hear the howler monkeys!
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dream4Ev
Santa Cruz, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2006

My sister and I stayed at La Aurora for one night in the month of November. We didn't reserve in advance, we just showed up and selected one from the three rooms that were available. It was probably my least favorite accommodation of the entire trip and not that much cheaper than other places we stayed.

We chose a room with 2 queen beds, without AC and with hot water (we got warm water for some of the time).

The room was small and pretty simple. The bathroom was really small and the shower was so small and awkward that you couldn't turn on the shower without drenching yourself and the rest of the bathroom. My short sister couldn't even reach the lever to turn on the water.

The door to the bathroom was just a stall door (didn't reach to the ceiling or to the floor), and didn't actually close all the way. This was uncomfortable given the small size of the room.

There was almost an inch gap between the door to the room and the floor, so there were large ants on the floor of the room. There was also a small lizard on my bed that I was never able to catch.

There isn't a parking lot for the hotel, but they do have security who watch the street where you can park your car.

The upstairs lounge area had about a half-dozen hammocks, which were pretty nice, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

• Liked — It was cheap and close to all the restaurants/shops.
  • Disliked — The room and bathroom just weren't very nice.
  • Stayed November 2006
2 Thank JB1983
Zaragoza, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

We booked the rooom directly from the manager .She was extremely kind and sensitive with us. She speaks good english as well as spanish.
The room was clean,cosy (wooden with a fan on the ceiling) and big enough for two people with a bathroom ensuite. There were two beds a king size and a small one. You even have a comunal kitchen to cook just in case and a dinning room to eat and a place with armchairs to stay. On the second floor there are several hammocks to relax too.
Altough it is true it is a bit noisy cause it is at the main intersection it wasn't a problem at least for us since you tend to get up quite early.The town is much more noisier downtown cause of the bars and discos.
I would really choose this place to stay again and I recomended cause it is a really good value (45$ with a fan) convinient (since there are many hotels not very close to the main two streets) and with helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank choni
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

I had booked a room in the La Aurora Hotel because it looked nice enough on the website.

When we go there we got the key to a dirty room with a tiny window and a disgusting bathroom. The door was so instable that I almost opened when you gently pushed it (even when locked). So I refused to even stay there for one night. Even though it was already quite late we set out immediately and found another place to stay. I didn't want to run the risk of either being robbed in the hotel room or being bitten by bedbugs.

Since I do not like sleeping with air conditioning we had booked a room in the second highest price group and expected a clean room. Before we left the hotel I asked if we could have one of the modern rooms (there seem to be 4 nice rooms) but the person at the reception was extremely unhelpful.

I still had to pay for one night even though we left the hotel 30 minutes after checking in.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2005

My friends and I stayed here for 3 nights back in August. Our room was clean, spacious and there were two double beds in the room that I stayed in. We also booked a room with AC. The owner is European so she speaks English and is very helpful. Even though the hotel is off the the main road, the town consist of two short streets that intersect so you can walk everywhere within a matter of minutes.

On the second floor there are hammocks to lounge around in and there is also a communal kitchen.

My only two complaints about the hotel was that you got one sheet for your bed which functioned as your blanket and bed cover. Also, the shower was a little tricky to figure out when you wanted hot water.

• Stayed August 2004