New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice hotel but very unfriendly and rude staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Jardin

Hotel El Jardin
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Nice hotel but very unfriendly and rude staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Don't normally write reviews but thought I would make an exception so here goes..

Can't fault the hotel too much. Nice pool and decent location . Rooms were full of bugs though so spent first 10 with my a firm book in hand and went to town on those bad boys. The walls in the room including ceiling were wafer thin so could hear every footstep and groan which wasn't ideal.

My main gripe about the hotel was the unfriendly reception/manager. Despite agreeing a fee for the room the woman twice said a higher price when it came to pay which I found very rude. Another thing, when I asked for an extra towel (they are only changed every couple of days) she blankly refused. I then said we had no hot water for 2 days despite paying for hot water at which point she gave me an extra towel.

In summary it was ok but I wouldn't stay there again. Stay at coba bana and use ylang ylang facilities

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonny987

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

my girlfriend and I spent a week there last week of oct and had the place to ourselves most of the week as it was the low season.We loved it,great location with beautiful grounds and swimming pool with waterfall.Each room has a hammock and covered balcony to keep you dry when it rains.We saw monkeys and iguanas cruising through the property.We will definetly be back for another visit in the near future.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Over my many visits to this wonderful place, I have become dear friends with Antonio the owner of El Tajalin. He is a very proud owner of his business and his staff is very helpful to make your stay safe and comfortable. I have sent many friends to his hotel, El Tajalin. One friend could not stay there but needed to see a dentist. Antonio went out of his way to take care of my friend because this is the type of person he is. Another time, my travel buddy lost our car keys. Antonio arranged for another key to be flown out to us via the airport at Tambor.

El Tajalin is close enough to walk to the beach and restaurants but far enough away for peaceful evenings. The rooms are modest, very clean and very secure with an in-room safe, air conditioning and refrigerator. There is a common area upstairs with satellite television and sofa's. Someone is on staff 24 hours a day. If you want to enjoy ocean fishing, snorkel trips, zip line canopy tours, horseback trips or ATV rentals, all you have to do is speak with Antonio and he will arrange it for you. If the hotel is booked, Antonio will help you find another place if possible. Last January on our scheduled departure day, Antonio was away in San Jose. He heard that there was a possible ferry workers strike. He called to let everyone know and make sure we could plan ahead. (By the way, we made it because they cancelled the strike.)

I feel like I am home here. Antonio and his staff speak fluent English and Italian. If you are an 'All-Inclusive, 5-star American resort traveller, El Tajalin may not be your place. I want to feel like I am away from Seattle when I leave. If you want a feel the tropical paradise and not over pay, if you want to extend your vacation at a very yankee-friendly hotel and if you want a trustworthy host that will go the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your trip, El Tajalin is the best value you will find in Montezuma. This is a small, intimate, charming place. Its owner makes it all possible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Salem, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved this place!
Its sits up at the end of the main street of Montezuma so you are away from loud noise but just a short walk down street to dancing,shopping and food!
We had a cabin right in front of the beautiful pool! Warm water and the hot sun it was perfect. In the morning we would go down to the office and get our free cup of coffee (Costa Rican coffee) and sit by pool..I miss those mornings.

The over all look and feel of this place is so beautiful!

Oh PS dont touch the shower head its electric!

• Stayed March 2012
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We didn't have reservations since it's the low season, so we were able to look at the rooms before we booked. This is a great location, right at the top of the town. The rooms are clean, air conditioned, have a mini-fridge. There is a pool, which was nice to jump into after walking around. All the porches have hammocks and lounge chairs. There is no restaurant/bar attached, but you can take your cup to the office in the morning and they have coffee for you. I give this hotel a 4 out of 5, not because of anything negative, just because it's not fancy. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived in Montezuma having no hotel reservations as it was a last minute decision to go there for 2 nights. The receptionist was very nice and gave me money back when I paid in cash for the room. The hotel location was good, right at the end of town, next to the beach. No views but everything just steps away. We had an air conditioned room for 4 people with 2 doubles and a single bed right in front of the pool. The room was kind of dreary and dark, even with the curtains pulled back. They did place towels in a swan shape on our beds though! The bathrooms were kind of old and did not feel so clean. I actually showered outside by the pool, brought my shampoo and soap, kept my bathing suit on. It just felt cleaner than the shower in the room, although my family used the bathroom shower. The pool was really nice , but very warm water when we really wanted to cool off because it was SO HOT. We had hammocks and lounge chairs right outside the room which was right in front of the pool so it felt like we had our own pool. Although other guests did use the pool, it was still pretty quiet. I sent my laundry out, it came back the next day, alittle stiff becuase it was dried in the sun but none the less I was happy to have some clean clothes. The wifi was kind of spotty and mostly we had to connect to the hotel across the street. Overall , it was a good location and cheap but if you plan on staying and hanging out in the hotel you may want to try a different place. El jardin is good to get out early, take a quick swim late afternoon and then go out for the evening. Montezuma is a great place to vist!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located at the top
Of the main drag! It's walking distance to everything. It has no beach access. The hotel is ok for the location your in. The beds are not comfortable but for a 2 night stay i brushed it off! The price is the main reason I stayed here for 60 dollars a night it was the cheapest and best location. I walked into all the other hotels in the area and for the price and location and being tired I chose this one. The rooms front patio did have a slight view of the ocean hamik and 2 chairs. Room also had a mini fridge came handy. If your looking for luxury this is not the place but if your looking to crash for a night or 2 this is it!

Also if your in this area of costa rica, montezuma than you must drive to cabuya ! It's 8 KM from
Montezuma and is an island That you can only walk to during low tide! Make sure you get a tide chart and go there its amazing adventure! Safe travels !!!

• Stayed May 2012