“El Tajalin is the best value in Montezuma!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Jardin

Hotel El Jardin
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Seattle, Washington
“El Tajalin is the best value in Montezuma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Over my many visits to this wonderful place, I have become dear friends with Antonio the owner of El Tajalin. He is a very proud owner of his business and his staff is very helpful to make your stay safe and comfortable. I have sent many friends to his hotel, El Tajalin. One friend could not stay there but needed to see a dentist. Antonio went out of his way to take care of my friend because this is the type of person he is. Another time, my travel buddy lost our car keys. Antonio arranged for another key to be flown out to us via the airport at Tambor.

El Tajalin is close enough to walk to the beach and restaurants but far enough away for peaceful evenings. The rooms are modest, very clean and very secure with an in-room safe, air conditioning and refrigerator. There is a common area upstairs with satellite television and sofa's. Someone is on staff 24 hours a day. If you want to enjoy ocean fishing, snorkel trips, zip line canopy tours, horseback trips or ATV rentals, all you have to do is speak with Antonio and he will arrange it for you. If the hotel is booked, Antonio will help you find another place if possible. Last January on our scheduled departure day, Antonio was away in San Jose. He heard that there was a possible ferry workers strike. He called to let everyone know and make sure we could plan ahead. (By the way, we made it because they cancelled the strike.)

I feel like I am home here. Antonio and his staff speak fluent English and Italian. If you are an 'All-Inclusive, 5-star American resort traveller, El Tajalin may not be your place. I want to feel like I am away from Seattle when I leave. If you want a feel the tropical paradise and not over pay, if you want to extend your vacation at a very yankee-friendly hotel and if you want a trustworthy host that will go the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your trip, El Tajalin is the best value you will find in Montezuma. This is a small, intimate, charming place. Its owner makes it all possible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Salem, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved this place!
Its sits up at the end of the main street of Montezuma so you are away from loud noise but just a short walk down street to dancing,shopping and food!
We had a cabin right in front of the beautiful pool! Warm water and the hot sun it was perfect. In the morning we would go down to the office and get our free cup of coffee (Costa Rican coffee) and sit by pool..I miss those mornings.

The over all look and feel of this place is so beautiful!

Oh PS dont touch the shower head its electric!

• Stayed March 2012
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We didn't have reservations since it's the low season, so we were able to look at the rooms before we booked. This is a great location, right at the top of the town. The rooms are clean, air conditioned, have a mini-fridge. There is a pool, which was nice to jump into after walking around. All the porches have hammocks and lounge chairs. There is no restaurant/bar attached, but you can take your cup to the office in the morning and they have coffee for you. I give this hotel a 4 out of 5, not because of anything negative, just because it's not fancy. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived in Montezuma having no hotel reservations as it was a last minute decision to go there for 2 nights. The receptionist was very nice and gave me money back when I paid in cash for the room. The hotel location was good, right at the end of town, next to the beach. No views but everything just steps away. We had an air conditioned room for 4 people with 2 doubles and a single bed right in front of the pool. The room was kind of dreary and dark, even with the curtains pulled back. They did place towels in a swan shape on our beds though! The bathrooms were kind of old and did not feel so clean. I actually showered outside by the pool, brought my shampoo and soap, kept my bathing suit on. It just felt cleaner than the shower in the room, although my family used the bathroom shower. The pool was really nice , but very warm water when we really wanted to cool off because it was SO HOT. We had hammocks and lounge chairs right outside the room which was right in front of the pool so it felt like we had our own pool. Although other guests did use the pool, it was still pretty quiet. I sent my laundry out, it came back the next day, alittle stiff becuase it was dried in the sun but none the less I was happy to have some clean clothes. The wifi was kind of spotty and mostly we had to connect to the hotel across the street. Overall , it was a good location and cheap but if you plan on staying and hanging out in the hotel you may want to try a different place. El jardin is good to get out early, take a quick swim late afternoon and then go out for the evening. Montezuma is a great place to vist!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located at the top
Of the main drag! It's walking distance to everything. It has no beach access. The hotel is ok for the location your in. The beds are not comfortable but for a 2 night stay i brushed it off! The price is the main reason I stayed here for 60 dollars a night it was the cheapest and best location. I walked into all the other hotels in the area and for the price and location and being tired I chose this one. The rooms front patio did have a slight view of the ocean hamik and 2 chairs. Room also had a mini fridge came handy. If your looking for luxury this is not the place but if your looking to crash for a night or 2 this is it!

Also if your in this area of costa rica, montezuma than you must drive to cabuya ! It's 8 KM from
Montezuma and is an island That you can only walk to during low tide! Make sure you get a tide chart and go there its amazing adventure! Safe travels !!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Trading2000
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 1:55pm, and there was a sign saying the reception desk would re-open at 2pm. We sat on the steps and waited, but nobody arrived to open it until past 2:30pm. I went with 3 other friends, and we stayed in cabin 17 at the top of the steps. The layout is lovely, and view is great, but the windows and doors didn't seal, and had no screens. There was no a/c, so we had to keep windows open. Everything was dirty, including the kitchenette, and even the keys were very sticky with a substance we couldn't wash off. There were insects crawling over every surface of the place. We had a couple of large cockroaches, and found bird poop in our bed (the woman at the reception desk didn't seem at all surprised when we told her, and said she would send someone with new sheets). There was a nice terrace with chairs and a hammock, but the hammock was so saggy in the middle that as soon as we got in it we were sitting on the ground (and we're not large people). However, the pool was very nice, and we could watch the monkeys in the trees right beside us. We did hear from other guests that the smaller rooms at the hotel had window screens and air conditioning, but if you go for the cabin, expect to feel kind of like you're camping, albeit in a great location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank awakenthedawn
Dominical, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

El Jardin is centrally located with nice pool and grounds. There were four of us in one of the cabinas at the top of the property. Great view of the town and ocean from the second floor window. The room was clean, had no a/c but fans were provided (we had to return to the office for a fan for the upstairs bedroom, but they brought it right away). It had a small kitchenette which was great. All windows were open air so bugs could be an issue, as it was for a few in our party, but personally I didn't have any problems. The shower had very low water pressure if that's an issue. I believe it gravity fed so top units have less pressure. The pool had an outdoor shower you could use. The pool was great, but could have been improved with cushions for the wood lounge chairs. It had two levels with a waterfall coming off the top level. This was a shallow pool with a jacuzzi attached. Lower pool was deep with the waterfall coming down. For the price it was a great choice! You can walk everywhere from this hotel. Montezuma is such a cool little beach town with an awesome vibe. I'll be back and bring my husband and kids next time. ( on a bad note I left my cell phone behind in the room and called the next morning, as anticipated they advised they didn't have it - not surprised but disappointed. I always hope for people to do the right thing.).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends