“Ylang Ylang”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2005

My husband and 2 daughters stayed at the Ylang Ylang for 2 nights. The first impression is of a tropical garden paradise set on the beach. You reach your room by walking exquisite paths lined by exotic trees, flowering bushes, plants and vines, scattered with lights and the occasional sound of a monkey, bird or coati rustling in the foliage. If you like a beach with character--trees lining the beach,rocky outcroppings, great horizon--this place is it! Nicest beach in the area. It's a walk to town, but not too bad--just bring a flashlight. Really nice walk on the far side of the resort, too, through forest and beach. Breakfast was great, (and included in price) and smoothies fantastic (try their iced tea). Staff were pleasant. We stayed in a 2-story jungle suite and it was perfect for us, with a fridge and lovely patio balcony.

5 Thank snorkel-luvin
Reviewed December 14, 2005

My wife and I stayed three nights at this lovely spot. We had 'hut' three, which is the best of the choices at the resort. The huts are not about a 5 start accommodation - it is about location, location, location. This resort is not for everyone, which might account for the negative comments but our hut (which looked like an oversized Smurf house) was magic. It was 50 feet from the beach, through a screen of palm trees. There grounds were beautifully kept, the staff were very friendly and breakfasts were good - you get to choose from a menu instead of a buffet. One word of caution, we did not eat dinner at the restaurant as it was outrageously expensive. You are a 15 minute walk along the beach from the neat town of Montezuma - there is no road, only the beach. We had a problem with our booking due to mistakes by our travel agent and the staff were execellent. We had no problems with bugs, the room was covered with flowers each morning, monkeys played in the trees in front of the hut, it was quiet, private, all we could ask for.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

I don't even know where to begin with the Ylang Ylang. We arrived after an amazing stay in Mal Pais, and were a little dissapointed to be leaving, but were optimistic about it.

We arrived to be told that we were delayed in getting our room, that they were still doing construction on our beachfront bungalow. We had to wait a full 4 hours before we could check in, change, do anything. It was terrible. First of all, what kind of an "eco resort" drives a car across a beautiful beach 20 times a day? This sums up the respect that the Ylang Ylang has for the town of Montezuma, and I'll tell you, none of the locals are too fond of it either, when we told them where we were staying they looked at us pityingly, knowing we were getting the rip off of the century.

We checked into our bungalow, which cost us $140 US a night, only to see that the entire place was crawling with bugs, including covering the entire inside of the mosquito net, which didn't close properly. You would think for 140 a night, we would get screens on the windows? Not so. The doors were so flimsy that a raccoon ran into our room as we sat there. The bed sheets were reminiscent of mis-matched college bedroom sheets, they didn't even have proper linens, they honestly looked like they had been taken from their house and put on the bed. The matress was on a platform built out of tile, which was at least a foot and a half short, so the bed hung off of the end.

We ended up being switched to one of the suites, although the owner whom we spoke to was unwilling to give us any discounted rate. We were moved to 4 different places throughout our 5 night stay, all because the bungalows weren't properly equipped with protection from bugs. It was rediculous. Imagine, being moved from room to room on your vacation every night, and not being compensated for it. It was truly the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life, and I have travelled all over the world.

The restaurant was the biggest rip off ever, with some of the most disgusting food I've ever tasted. Comparable to prices at home, without any of the quality. Avoid it at all costs. I ate like a queen in Costa Rica, it was easily some of the best food I have EVER had in my life. But the food at the Ylang Ylang was in keeping with the theme there-overpriced, poorly thought out, badly prepared, and they weren't willing to do anything about it.

I am happy to spend money, happy to pay for quality, and have never complained about a hotel in my life, but this hotel was truly the worst of the worst. The owner was totally unwilling to listen to his CUSTOMERS complaints. We were so disgusted we went to try and find a different room somewhere in town, and went to both the amor de mar and the Los Mangos, and for less than HALF the price, we could have stayed somewhere that was 10 times more luxurious (don't let the ylang ylang fool you-there is NOTHING luxurious about it, and we spent two nights in the Coco Joe's), much more charming, and beautiful, with nicer staff and a better location.

If you want to go to a big, money grabbing resort, go to the Domincan Republic and stay at an all inclusive resort. The Ylang Ylang is not nicer, more charming, or more luxuious than any 1000 dollar a week airfare included resort I've been to. Montezuma is a beautiful place, but the Ylang Ylang was truly the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2005
We do our best to please everyone, but sometimes it is just not possible. We tried to accomodate you in every way, but apparently fell short of your expectations.
Due to the many hurricanes and tropical force winds in our area over October 2005, your bungalow was delayed in completion. However, we were still able to finish in time, albeit, 4 hours late. The insects you experienced were an anomaly, most likely caused by recent work in our gardens behind your Bungalow.
Some things in life are out of our control...
The beach is our only access and have a permit to traverse it. We agree, it is not ideal, but until the local municipality decides to put the road thru, it is our only option...otherwise...guests would have to haul their luggage on the beach themselves.
The food is delicious, the setting gorgeous and the staff friendly and helpful...our on site surveys prove it, but we are sorry you found it otherwise.
We will take your criticism to heart and find a way to improve what we call home...
Lenny
Reviewed November 29, 2005

I am from Washington, DC and recently my partner Norm and I stayed at Ylang Ylang for four days in Novmber 2005 and were delighted. The food, staff, and rooms were superlative. The beach so close by, not to mention the animals, made us feel like we were in a remote tropical paradise all to ourselves. We saw monkeys, raccoons, exotic birds, geckos, coaties, and more animals while we ate breakfast everyday. In fact one morning a regular crab as well as a hermit crab were on the little path from our "hobbit house," as we called our bungalow, to the restaurant. How nice to see!

I have traveled all over the world and can say without a doubt this is one of the most magical and delightful places I have ever stayed. The staff were so very friendly while not being intrusive and cheerful. They were very helpful in assiting us make choices about activities such as horse back riding and arranging this as well. In additon they aranged for our trip to Isla Turuga where we saw wild boar and dolphins.

See for yourself. You will not want to come home if you do.

Kate T.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Islamorada in the FL Keys
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I recently had the pleasure to be a guest at the Sano Banano in Montezuma. After reading the comments, I felt compelled to write. There are two separate hotels not one that has changed it's name! We opted for the Sano Banano as they had both tv and ac. Not our usual priorities, however we wanted to see the US Open mens and womens finals and as Montezuma is not where one would be seeking tv, we just lucked out. The Sano Banano is located directly in Montezuma town. The Hotel Sano Banano is located directly above the restaurant of the same name. We got a room for two which included breakfast and dinner for $65. There were wide choices at both breakfast and dinner. It wasn't another "gallo pinto" breakfst but rather things like fresh squeezed juice and banana pancakes. Dinner was avacado stuffed mahi-mahi w/ shrimp sauce! This would rival the likes of any South Beach restaurant where you'd definitely pay more then $65 for dinner for one. The following day when we asked where the pool was, we were directed around the corner, then 300 meters down the beach to The Ylang-Ylang. This "sister" resort has beautiful lush gardens that conceal the beach bungalows. You are on a slight ridge just above the beach. Both pool and restaurant overlook the beach. We were treated to an awesome meal with the sounds of crashing waves and a beautiful natural light show from a far off storm. The Iacono family are your hosts. The bar and restaurant feature pre-Columbian art and jungle dieties. They have successfully created the ambiance that you have come upon glorious ruins in the middle of the jungle. Tasteful and beautiful not some pseudo Vegas jungle ruins. Their son, Moraya is behind the bar where they feature cocktails with ingredients like fresh passion fruit juice and an amazing rum selection. Even though there are other guests you feel as if this is your very own private oasis. Great hospitality and service as well as an amazing staff! What else are you looking for? I would highly recommend the Ylang-Ylang to anyone craving a bit of seclusion with every conceivable ammenity! We will definitely return!
-- AND --

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank bronzinthekeys
Park Falls, WI
Reviewed September 17, 2005

I stayed here in May '04 when it was still El Sano Banano. Because I was staying in Montezuma for a couple of months, I eventually moved into a Casita at the Luz de Mono hotel (they gave me a monthly 'rent' rate as opposed to the $80/night at El Sano Banano).

El Sano Banano had two properties in Montezuma. There were the single hotel rooms in town...and then the little suites (cabinas?) located about a 15 minute walk down the beach.

The food at the town location was great. They also played a movie every night in the restaurant around 6pm so you could see a newer-dvd movie while you ate. I stayed in the single hotel rooms in town. They were cute, small, brightly colored and very clean. Had a small TV, no phone, no clock. This was the only hotel in town that I thought had any real security (never heard of any problems with theft here). Not sure if the same goes for the cabins down the beach. My casita in Luz de Mono was robbed and I heard many sad tales in the 2.5 months I was there from tourists at other hotels who were robbed.

They are one of the most expensive places in Montezuma. Also, it seemed like some of the other businesses had issues with them because they would drive tourists in their vehicle down the beach in order to bring them to the cabin units.

As for the area down the beach...I didn't see any of the cabins...but I did go swimming in the private pool in that area. It was simply amazing. You follow this stone pathway through the jungle and reach a nicely landscaped swimming pool with water falls, hammocks and...quite literally....reminds one of a little paradise swimming hole.

The staff at El Sano Banano were incredibly nice. I would go there every morning for a latte and fruit plate...sometimes to read...sometimes to write in my laptop...but always, I was greeted with a smile and terrific service. Yes, sometimes slow...but this happened pretty much everywhere.

I was always curious about the beach cabins...but it was too expensive for me given the amount of time I was there. As for what others have said about the bugs and whatnot....yes, I had the same experience with my Luz de Mono casita. But you're pretty much in the jungle....so it is to be expected.

I had about 400 photos of my trip...several of this hotel...but sadly, they were all stolen along with my laptop & digital camera.

• Stayed May 2004
4 Thank geekmomi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Tambor Tropical Beach Resort
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!