New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Beacon, New York
“Nice place, but a little pricey...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I spent 14 nights in Costa Rica for our honeymoon. We had booked most of our hotels, but left a few nights open to drive around and "explore". We both wanted to check out the Nicoya Peninsula, but only had 1 night available.

***Side Note: My husband has A LOT of experience driving off-road. He was looking forward to driving around CR and just checking things out. If you decide to visit the Nicoya Peninsula, take the ferry from Puntarenas (it's like $30 USD for 2 adults and a car + they sell beer during the 70 minute ride). When you get off the ferry, stay on the signed roads that go along the coast. DO NOT take "shortcuts". Also, we rented a Hyundai Tuscon (aka "Barbie Jeep") spring for a better 4WD if you want to drive on back roads.

We called Ylang Ylang late in the day to see if anything was available. They had 2 rooms - a private bungalow and a suite. I liked the suite better (it had a cool loft area that was all glass w/ a great view of the ocean). The suites seemed to be more for families w/ kids and the bungalows were geared towards couples, but we weren't there long and I liked the suite.

We got to the resort LATE (around 9 PM) dinner and breakfast are included, but be aware the kitchen shuts down at 10 PM. The food was good. Because we booked it really last minute, they took $50 off the room price (it was a little over $200/night). I don't think you can do that during the height of tourist season, but this was a weeknight in April, so it worked out.

The drinks are pricey for CR ($9 USD for a Mojito) and the pool also closes at 10 PM.

During our tour/intro, the hotel staff member mentioned that yoga classes were available (not sure if it cost additional $). I would have liked to get a massage, but we really weren't there long enough and the spa treatments were a little pricey (compared to other parts of CR).

I would recommend this place to couples w/ young kids... or anyone I know who is really into yoga, but I'm not sure I would stay there again. Also, not the best beach for swimming (rip tides).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank CTGranville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Harlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went to Ylang Ylang to see our son get married. When he first told us of his plans I was excited but apprehensive also. I had never been anywhere as exotic n was nervous of the unexpected. I needn't have been. From the moment we arrived at Ylang Ylang n were given thost delicious cold vanilla smelling flannels to freshen up with, until we left 5 days later we were treated like royalty.
Everything about the resort is beautiful. The monkeys roam freely and we saw all kinds of wildlife whilst we were there.The setting right on the beach is gorgeous but even more than that the staff are sooo friendly and attentive that nothing was too much trouble for them. The food I have to say is probably the best I have ever had the good fortune to enjoy on a holiday. Everything is fresh n cooked to perfection.
The accomodation you stay in is exquisite and every day it is cleaned and and freshened. We were lucky enough to have a sea view so could lie n listen to the waves , but the garden bungalows are equally as nice.
The town of Montezuma is a 10 minute walk along the beach and here you can find all your essentials. Ylang Ylang really is perfectly positioned!
I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone who wants to 'get away from it all' and if you are even remotely considering a beach wedding then have it here.
I hope one day to go back and enjoy it all over again.

Room Tip: There were 23 of us staying and everyone was very happy with their rooms. The only decision you need...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We came to Ylang Ylang the end of March/beginning of April; it was my husband and our 6 and 7 year old children. We had the most amazing time! Ylang Ylang was a perfect location away from it all, but close enough to town to walk or adventures. We thought it was going to be wonderful, but it exceeded our expectations!

We drove in from Liberia airport and had a stretch of about an hour that was stressful due to the bumpy dirt roads that are windy and steep. I would recommend the shuttle offered by Ylang Ylang for transport, unless you are up for an "offroading" type of experience. If you do choose to drive, I highly recommend 4-wheel drive.

Once we arrived to town we were greeted by friendly faces and helpful hands to transport us to Ylang Ylang from Solana Banana. The staff at the resort were wonderful from beginning to end! They were so friendly, accomodating and wonderful to my children (even bringing us to an off-limits area of the resort to see the monkeys up closer)

We could not believe how beautiful the grounds were even after viewing the pictures. They almost do not do it justice. You definitely feel like you are in a tropical paradise among the lush greenery, huge trees, and bamboo.

The beaches are so beautiful around the resort; we would walk left on the beach leaving the resort and go for so long without running into a soul. We went on many hikes off the beaches following rivers to waterfalls and saw many animals in their natural setting.

The food was incredible.....we tried a different breakfast and dinner entree at every meal and were never disappointed! We left Ylang Ylang feeling healthy after eating all the fresh and organic foods. My children miss the fresh squeezed juices, especially the passionfruit! To top off the great food, you get to enjoy every meal with a view of the ocean; you really can't beat it!

Our children had an amazing time following the iquanas, crabs, and monkeys around the resort. It is not necessarily the place for all kids, but it is perfect for the adventurous child who likes to hike, swim, and discover nature. As a parent of great eaters, I was also very pleased that the children's menu offered the kids much more than typical options, since they needed to order dinner from that menu. They could choose from salads, seafood, pastas and chicken dishes. The loved the food, as well!

On top of relaxing by the pool, walking the beaches, swimming and kiking, we took advantage of the spa at Ylang Ylang and loved it! We also had surf lessons through Young Visions Surf School with Manuel and were thrilled with the friendly service and successful outcome of the lesson. He picked us up on foot at the resort and we walked to Playa Grande, getting a history and nature lesson along the way.

It is so peaceful at Ylang Ylang- we will definitely come back! It has become the trip to measure all others against. It will be hard to top Ylang Ylang and the Montezuma experience! It is our Heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building and had the end room on the bottom- #3. We had an amazing ocean view and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa J
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Oh my goodness was this place perfect! Such a peaceful place. Breakfast and Dinner are included. We fully expected meals to be buffet style as that has been our experience before. We were pleasantly surprised that all meals were ordered from the menu. The food was fabulous. Loved that we take a Land Rover to the resort as no vehicles have access via beach. Best three days of our 10 days in Costa Rica!

Room Tip: We stayed in the jungle and loved the view of the trees and the monkeys crossing by.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anissa1218
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was my third stay at the Ylang Ylang and I will be back again and again. This time I came with my cousin and she thought she died and went to heaven. It is the best find ever! The location is perfect, away from town but close enough to walk back and forth every day. And the walk across the beach is the best! The meals at the restaurant are the best ever and the service is amazing. The entire staff is so friendly, helpful, and they make you feel right at home. Especially the wait staff, Rafa, Harold, and Cristian. They were unbelievably awesome! Our driver David was very nice when he picked us up in town and really welcomed us. Also, Alejandra at the front desk was extra special. The wildlife on the grounds was magnificent and the sound of the waves at night took my breath away. Every time I stay there and visit Montezuma, I try to find myself but I end up losing myself in the beauty and the peace that it offers. This time I really left my heart there and can't wait to come back! Ylang Ylang is my paradise....Pura Vida! Angie A

Room Tip: We loved the tent cabin, a great experience!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angie A
Moreno Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Absolutely the best staff and place to get away from the huge crowds and reconnect with your spouse. We loved this resort and will return soon you can hang out on your hammock and do nothing or the staff will set up an adventure of a lifetime for you. The people in the small town of montezuma were the nicest we have encountered anywhere we have been. there is a small walk to town which was good for us to take in some of the local wildlife and stretch the legs.It will take some doing to get there but the rewards are endless. If I could change anything it would be a shuttle back and forth to town so my handycapt friends could see this place also. All in all the best vacation ever w love you all at the resort thanks for our adventure. Mike and Laura Wiliamson

Room Tip: Go with the beach bungalo it is so worth the upgrade
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mike w
Essex County, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had always wanted to stay in the Montezuma area, and Ylang Ylang has been consistently rated the best lodging option near town. Overall we had a great experience.

First, service here is top-notch. The folks at the front desk are very knowledgeable, responsive, and friendly. They were helpful in suggesting and booking tours and always had a smile. The restaurant is excellent and our servers were patient with our kids and very nice. The food is really good, especially if you are a vegetarian. Lots of nice options, and the view from the restaurant can not be beat.

The grounds are stunning. The hotel is built into the jungle and we had a great view of the ocean from our room. On our first day we saw monkeys swinging in the trees on the walk to our room. Very cool. The pool is surrounded by the lush vegetation. The ocean is right in front of the resort. The beach is quite rocky and there was a huge swell while we were there, making the beach in front of Ylang Ylang un-swimmable much of our time in Montezuma, but that's neither here nor there. I have traveled quite extensively throughout Costa Rica and this is one of the more beautiful locations.

The only slight negative was the room. We stayed in a duplex room in the Jungle King building. The room was average in appearance and had a rustic feel. I am fine with this, but the price of the room, even with breakfast and dinner included, was a bit high for the quality of the accommodation. Also, I expect bugs in my room when I stay in the jungle, but the number of ants in the room was unbelievable. Again, this is the only negative I can report.

And the town of Montezuma is interesting. Hippies, new age sorts, and expats from around the world all living in a tiny village on the sea. Think Grateful Dead parking lot scene placed in Costa Rica. The area itself is magnificent - beautiful ocean, mountains, waterfalls, rivers. I love this part of the country.

Overall, this was a great experience and I recommend the resort to anyone traveling to Montezuma.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nershi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Kalapiti Luxury Jungle Suites
Hotel Aurora
Hotel Aurora
#13 of 19 in Montezuma
3.5 of 5 stars 190 reviews

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!