“A place worth visiting!!!”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Golden, Colorado
“A place worth visiting!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was a wonderful surprise for us as we were staying at El Sano Banano (same owners) and visited the resort, we were blown away and booked our last night as a special treat at Ylang Ylang.

This is what vacationing is all about for us! Being next to the beach in the really cool dome building with monkey's overhead, we watched sea turtles being released down the beach at the turtle rescue center one night, the whole stay was amazing.

I wish that there were more nature trails but we found plenty to do with beach walks and surfing.

I would go back here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The domes are great, very private and they all seemed like they were in good locations.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I took a group of twenty adventure seekers to Ylang Ylang! The accommodations were beautiful and well maintained. Our first walk through the lush resort left the group breathless! The staff were all great to work with and made our group feel right at home during the entire stay! The food was beyond delicious and the views spectacular! If you travel to Costa Rica, you have to stay at Ylang Ylang!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Malibu, California, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Eco tourism at its best with a spring water pool, spring water coming out of all the faucets (no need for plastic water bottles!), raw and vegan food options, as well as other types...mostly all organic...delicious food! We loved staying in the tents, as well as the domes. It is a magical property with lots of wildlife. The in the 1970s the owners planted a paradise, having restored the land from cattle grazing. The property to the east is a reserve, and a turtle hatchery and funky hippie town to the west. (No Walmarts or Targets!). Enjoy!

Room Tip: they are all good, but ask for something on the beach. Things book up fast here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank June L
San Diego, USA
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Not your typical Costa Rican beach resort.

I've made multiple trips to Costa Rica and was surprised by the higher than normal price structure.
WELL WORTH IT!

This resort operates at a standard above and beyond most beach resorts in the US. The service is outstanding and the grounds are spectacular. The food was amazing, easily rivaling the best restaurants in the country.

The property was well maintained and safe for kids. Also, there was full time 24/7 staff and security watching over everything (no random strangers wandering about). We saw tons of wildlife and even did some fishing right in front of our rooms.

If you want first class, this is it.
If this doesn't fit your budget, check out their sister hotel, el Sano Banano. Almost as nice, but more affordable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first trip to Ylang Ylang; however the friends I went with have been there every year for 10 years. We were there for 6 days. Everything and everyone there are World Class. The food is great, the service is great, all the staff are great, and the surroundings are unbelievable. The food menu is fairly limited, however everything I tried was excellent, and I tried most everything. Just don’t expect a hamburger, or hot dog, because you won’t find one here. Breakfast and Dinner are included with the rate. They have a very nice pool with a water fall, and beach area with lounge chairs and hammocks. My only disappointment was the ocean. I am from Alabama and Florida, so I am use to waking into the nice clean water, and that was not the case in this area of Costa Rica. Leave the snorkel gear at home. The town of Montezuma is about a 10 minute, easy walk, however the town is small and you can see all you want in about a half a day. I stayed in Bungalow 3 and it was very neat. It is like a small hut, however has plenty of room, and a great view of the ocean. I recommend bungalow 1,2,3, or 4 because it is only a few steps to the beach, and the view is outstanding. The Bungalows have an outdoor shower for washing off the sand. Inside the bungalow is a very large shower, ours had a double bed, wet bar, large closet, air conditioning, and NO TV. Trust me on this one........... no TV is a plus at YY, because you will never even think about watching a TV while you are here. Monkeys running around the pool and on the beach, sounds coming from the jungle like a Tarzan movie, no cars running up and down the street, because there is no street. You can rent ATV’s in Montezuma, and the staff at YY can arrange rentals also. There are lots of roads to ride, and you don’t have to worry about getting lost. Wear old clothes and shoes you don’t mind getting wet, but you will love it. You can rent one for $75 to $85 for a 12 hour day, but you will be done in less than 12 and ready for the pool. If you want to experience something very different and unusual, this is the place.

Room Tip: Get Bungalow 1,2,3,or4 on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. We arrived the first night and stayed at El Sano Bano, the sister hotel. The staff took great care of us and our family. The following morning we walked across the gorgeous white sands to see the resort for the first time.
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort was a beautiful paradise. The facilities were top notch and the scenery was breathtaking. The animals, monkeys and iguanas are always around to provide entertainment. The staff always greeted us with smiles and greetings and after our first few hours knew us by name. They truly made us feel like part of the family. The food was prepared to perfection and the drinks truly refreshing. Every meal was very enjoyable and the prices reasonable considering the high quality.

On our 3rd day at the resort, we got married. Moraya, Emma and his staff took great care of us and listened to our many requests. They took my brides vision and molded into the best day of our life. Special thanks for taking one of the drinks from the menu and modifying it to match our wedding colors. The wedding was "perfect" and the entire day was "magical". Our server for the cocktail party and the wedding, "Christian" went above and beyond to make sure us and our guests had an amazing time. We still sit at family gatherings and rave about how amazing our wedding was.

The rooms, the view, the yoga, the staff, and the energy surrounding this resort made it hard to leave. To Moraya, Emma, Patricia, and the staff, I can't thank you all enough for making our stay and our wedding a moment in time to always be remembered. We look forward to returning for our anniversary.

Room Tip: Coco Joes is truly magnificent! Nestled in the woods, the outdoor shower is amazing and the view bre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have struggled to write this review more than any other CR review because I wanted to drool over this resort like almost everyone else but it was not to be. I try to review according to my expectations and then look at everything as objectively as possible always giving the benefit of the doubt considering all factors. Also, I think one big thing that affected this review is the fact my wife and I had just come from a 4 day stay in the OSA as part of our honeymoon that was beyond fantasic and I am not sure any other place could live up to our stay at the El Remanso. Anyhow, we stayed 2 nights here and overall enjoyed the town and vibe of Montezuma. While here, we went to a very nice restaraunt on the beach for lunch (Playa de los Artistas) and ate the remainder of our meals at the resort. The Playa de los Artistas meal was the best we had in our 2 days here. The Resort itself is very nice in appearance but in my opinion has a very blueprinted and planned feel to it. We thought the staff at the resort including the restaraunt were ok friendly but did not really have that personal touch. The wait staff reminded me of what we would get in North America more than Costa Rica. At the previous place we stayed at, we knew everyone by 1st name by the end of the 2nd day. Also, I can't say I was real comfortable with the way you have to leave your vehicle parked a substantial distance away which to me almost made it useless for us to have a vehicle here. We had dome 7 which was nice including the Capuchin's all over the place. The room was ok, nothing great, I guess you could say cute although it would not match up to any other room in the 5 resort /hotels we have stayed in, in CR. The food to me was a mix of good and average similar to the hotel. The food certainly did not have that Wow factor that I have experienced at a number of CR establishments. Would I recommend coming here...yes but I would suggest looking around and seeing what else is out there as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank johnesv
uumatter, Owner at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for your "mostly" positive review. It struck me as unusual that you stayed with us in March of last year and decided to write until now. Nevertheless, I would like to respond to a few of your critiques and show you another side to the story.

First off, the fact that we do not have have a road and hence no parking at the hotel is actually a plus. You were able to leave your car at our parking lot in town. Even better yet, you did not need a car in the first place and could have saved the expense. We are happy to transport our guests on their arrival and departure. You gave us 4 stars for location by the way, and I assume not having the car at your side caused you some discomfort.

Secondly, that "blueprint and planned feel" you mention could actually be translated to well organized and efficient, don't you think... I don't mean to assume that everything runs "perfectly" but would like to point out that most people happen to notice when something goes wrong more so than when something goes right. Your 4 stars for service, I think reflects that. Thanks for mentioning that the resort "is very nice in appearance", by the way. I particularly appreciate that.

Regarding your mention of the staff as being OK friendly and lacking a personal touch, I will take that to heart and look into it thoroughly. I must mention, though, that a vast majority of our guests praise our staff effusively for their friendly and kind hearted nature... and I personally can assure one thing about our staff... they are genuine in their hospitality.

Personally, I believe your stay of two nights at our Beach Resort is too short of a stay to really get the feel of it.

Think about it... you arrive in the afternoon, check-in, explore a little, eat dinner and within a few hours of your arrival the day is done. Your next day begins with a beachfront breakfast and either spending a day at the resort or taking in a tour... or going to town and exploring a little and maybe eating lunch there. Then early evening having a candle lit dinner on our starry terrace and once again the day is done. Next morning, another lovely breakfast and you're off early to the next destination... Sounds a little rushed to me.

I can't help but think of all the divine evenings under the stars and delicious dinner entrees you missed out on...

Patricia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Tambor Tropical Beach Resort

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!