Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$62
  • Pool
Hotel Casitas Sollevante(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$99
Hotel Casacolores(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Hotel Aurora(Montezuma)
$30
Sano Banano Beachside Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$60
The Howler Monkey Hotel(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
$239
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerbeach bungalowtent cabinsbeach frontland rovercosta ricain townjoe's bungalowtree top canopydestination weddingrestaurant staffyour luggageplaya grandewalk along the beachtunasister hotelyoga studio
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a beautiful resort right next to a pristine relaxing beach. The room and food were great. It a great place to go to relax and do nothing much. Just hang out on the beach, get a massage, eat great good. I really enjoyed staying here and I'll be coming back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank InnerTraveler
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Spent Christmas at Ylang Ylang with our 3 adult children (ages 22,20,20)and had an awesome time. Relaxed and laid back, 5 star service. Staff are wonderful, food was soooo good. Beautiful views everywhere you turn. Wonderful, versatile beaches within walking distance. Terrific fun when we went horseback riding on the beach, in rough rocky terrain and in the rain forest with a waterfall destination. Surfing is an absolute must. We had no experience and we didn't want the day to end. Our tour guide for surfing and into the Montezuma waterfall was Maunel. Can't say enough nice things about him; friendly and informative with lots of stories and patience for the inexperienced surfer and mountain climber. We rented a car and drove from San Jose to Puntaranas where we caught the ferry to Paquera and drove to Montezuma. Montezuma has some shopping but the shops in Santa Teresa we far better. Beware of the girl at the Ice Cream Shop, she intentionally tried to over charge us and was insistent that we owed her 114000 colons for 5800 worth of gelato. She rolled her eyes at us and moved onto the next customer trying to ignoer us when we were insistent that she was overcharging us. Pizza parlor next to Chiccos Bar seves great affordable pizza. The Bakery Cafe seved freshly prepared food and the friendly staff gave us babanas to feed to the monkeys who hang out in the trees nearby, like arms reach nearby! The yoga was very relaxed and inspiring. The walk into Montezuma was just a short jaunt.Friendly locals. Watched hatchling turtles make their way into the ocean from the hatchery located on the beach and along the path to town. The pool is very refreshing and with the resort only having 21 rooms it was never an issue getting beach chairs or ppl being intoxicated. Lots of wildlife seen on the resort grounds. Will definitely recommend this resort to my friends. Again a big thanks to Manuel and all the staff at Ylang Ylang for helping to make this a trip of a lifetime!

Room Tip: We stayed in the family suite at the end of the resort. Was very comfortable and the walk along the path was reasonable with lush grounds making it a pleasant walk.
3  Thank Lynne511
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I got married in Costa Rica and spent a portion of our stay at Ylang Ylang. What a wonderfully beautiful resort - from the people to the food (breakfast and dinner included! We loved the Spicy Shrimp appetizer and the fusion of different food options) to the location, it was the best! The open air spa was a treat along with the monkeys swinging overhead. The bungalow we stayed in overlooked the beach and sunrise. We happened to be there for their annual New Years celebration and it was an amazing way to ring in the new year. I found this hotel because of TripAdvisor and we weren't disappointed. The only tough part was getting to Montezuma from central Costa Rica, be prepared for a long trek with lots of hills and windy roads - but if you can stomach it, it was well worth the rustic travel day!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate K
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We sent a week there and our only regret was to leave, the staff is always more then courteous the food is great and the beach is the best. If you love nature mixed with comfort this is the place to be. We will back.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been to Ylang Ylang four times since 2006, taking my friends there,
or like this trip, staying there with my two teen boys15 and 17 years old.
Ylang Ylang is run by a very nice family who own and manage the hotel.
Since they founded the hotel more than two decades ago,
its been growing and improving in so many ways.

This year we got to stay in TTC, a bigger tent on a platform high on the hill, with outdoor shower.
A grand king size bed, and from it, overlooking the ocean although with some trees in front of it.
TTC is perfect for honeymooners, since it has a very private location.

Howling and cappuccino monkeys are jumping from tree to tree during the day.
Sometimes fighting or playing. Three years ago we were on the beach below and maybe 15-20 cappuccino monkeys took my friends beach bag and ran around with it,
until it was empty of fun stuff to check out.
People had lots of fun seeing us chasing the monkeys.
However, dont feed them, their stomachs dont work on human food.

The Ylang crew have worked there for a number of years.
Alway being patient and extremely friendly.
One of the keys why you want to visit Costa Rica, besides the fact that visitors very rarely get sick (unlike in Mexico or Egypt) actually - are the Costa Ricans themselves.
Extremely friendly and humble. No fake smiles.

On this trip I twisted my foot vrist badly on Christmas eve.
I had a fantastic massage in another TTC and came too relaxed
down the stairs and really hurt my self bad.
Manager Chris worked really hard, calling many places in order to get me crutches,
Harold from the restaurant got me ice and instructions for how long to chill and warm up the foot. Reception manager Jeffry fixed me up with his own best bandages.
The rest of the staff kept looking after me as I was parked by the pool for hours.

We knew that nothing was broken, however its a stress to know that 80%
of you holiday is still left and you may not be able to do any yoga, surfing,
riding or dancing. So got a bit depressed.
I have been travelling the world both for business and pleasure since mid 80ies, stayed in maybe more than 100 hotels in many countries. Ylang Ylang wins the "best staff" award for all the hotels I ever been to - ever. Their sincere hearts was in my healing process. Thanks to their care, I could toss the crutches after a couple of days. Not being back to normal, but much better than I expected.

The food is was is already so well expressed in some of the other reviews here - and Yes, its very very good. Vegan, Raw foods, vegetarian and "normal" foods. Try the blackened tuna, yummy!
Its the first time my two boys eat well nourished food - every meal.
You can drink the tap water.

Wifi can always be improved as in almost all of the 8 places I have stayed in the Nicoya peninsula.
Slow but it works.

If you find the bed too hard to sleep on, ask for a madrass, staff will fix up like a princess.

The beach is nice and clean. But be aware of underwater streams.
Not a surf point, but okey for enjoying a dip or a swim.

Since we stayed for the Christmas event and that we where a part of the
New Years event two years ago, I must say bingo!
Belly dancers including a fire show was spectacular.
Soft Spanish classic music preformed before and after the show. Nice!
Its a bigger event and celebration for New Years at Ylang. Buffe, show and fireworks.
Best in Nicoya I would say, if you like to sit down and be entertained.

Ylang have a good variety of excursions. However, their eco plan is at heart and true.
Many small and big things make you feel earth friendly. One is sponsoring the Karen Morgensen park and the owners connection to the actual Swedish/Danish couple Wessberg Morgensen who founded Costa Ricas first national park Cabo Blanco (just a few miles away and is great to walk in) and their work to preserve the wild life and jungles in Costa Rica.

Price?
Its half pension. It works if you like breakfast and dinner planning taken care of.
Im a operating entrepreneur with my teen boys (filled with beens), so Im exhausted when I arrive.
Ylang Ylang is the perfect landing place, exotic, but private, and still enough people around when you want that.

Any negatives at all? My 15 year old had some problems sleeping due to the sound of the waves.
I fall a sleep by it. Bring ear plugs if you believe you are sensitive to it.
The location of Ylang is 500m from Montezuma village and you must walk on the beach unless you wait for the hotel shuttle takes you.

Otherwise?
Perfect magical paradise - will return as always!

Room Tip: Coco Joes or the TTC (tree top cabin) are the best.
1  Thank HelenaAasberg