“5 star Hotel”

Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I did quite a bit of research before choosing Ylang Ylang amongst hotels both in Montezuma and also in Santa Teresa. TripAdvisor was very helpful in deciding on Ylang Ylang. As it normally is, TripAdvisor was right!

The hotel has bunagalows and ocean-view hotel-style rooms to choose from. The bungalows are bigger and looked pretty cool but the ocean-view room was perfect since we weren't staying at the resort very much with the excursions we had planned. You are situated in the jungle so if animals and bugs freak you out, pick something else. However, we loved everything about the nature and ambience. Each room has a nice balcony with chairs and a table to convene around and smoke cigars :)

The pool is nice and open late. The beach is very pretty although I didn't see anyone braving the rocks and waves to swim. The hotel manager was A-MAZE-ING. He accommodated us on numerous special requests and even left sushi dinner in our room for us since we were arriving unexpectedly late. He helped us find an excursion through the hotel to Tortuga Island for snorkeling, shore lunch, volleyball and playing with the local wild pig that came out of the jungle to let me scratch his belly. He also booked us a trip with a morning fishing charter. The charter did put us on fish and we landed the largest Mahi I've ever caught, however, the boat is not truly setup for ocean fishing so lower your expectations or you will be disappointed.

The hotel service was as good as any hotel I've stayed at. The restaurant surpassed all of our expectations and one of my friends and I have eaten at 5-star restaurants around the world. Cannot rave enough about the quality of the food there.

I give my full endorsement of Ylang Ylang. A perfect vacation spot.

An additional tip - Make sure you factor in time to catch the ferry there or back to the mainland. Driving in Costa Rica can be hairy. We missed the better ferry out and the later ferry cost us an additional hour of driving based on where it dropped us off. Good luck!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms were as nice as you could really want unless morning noise from neighbors is a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vballm22

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our stay was absolutely incredible. We initially booked a tent and had a surprise visitor at midnight (bc I left a luna bar in my suitcase, stupid me). We moved to a enclosed room on the ocean after we awoke Kaiya, the lovely GM, from his sleep. He was extraordinarily accommodating at 1am and explained that the property lives on a protected nature reserve with plenty of wildlife. In fact, we were surrounded by howler monkeys, white-face monkeys, iguana and birds the entire time. Also, happened to be the best food we ate in Costa Rica. Impeccable service and all of the water (including the showers) comes from a well/treated w UV....It was the most delicious water I've ever tasted. Everyone was extraordinarily friendly and helpful on staff. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Book a dome room on the ocean for a romantic getaway...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica and travelled to 4 different locations. I have to say the best time we had was in Montezuma. And our stay in Ylang Ylang has a lot to do with this. Location is fantastic, facilities are great, food was superb but best of all was the staff. From the reception guys to the waitresses and the masseuse, all were genuinelly friendly and helped on anything we asked.
The deal was also very good (breakfast and diner included).
I am not sure when we will go back to CR but if we do, we will definitely go back there for few days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We did not stay here, we stayed at their other location in town, however, we were allowed to use their pool. This hotel is amazing and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. We had lunch and the food was excellent and top notch service. Next time we will stay here.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Dinner and brekfast whit nice ocean view ;) not far from town
you sleep outside in bongalow. Or plastic tent but it is nice and the dinner was awsome;)
Right at the beach whit the perfekt wawes fore som surfing.

Room Tip: you sleep outside in bongalows
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in Tent Cabin A, it was like luxury camping right on the beach. This place is truly amazing! The food was excellent and the service great too! I loved how secluded it was. It was like we walked into a post card. We have been MANY MANY places in Costa Rica and this is the one we talk about most wanting to go back to. I see a anniversary stay here in our future! My only complaint was there was a little bit of construction noise during our stay but not unbearable and I remember wishing there was an outdoor hose/shower for the Tent Cabin occupants coming in from the beach, we had to walk all the way to the bathroom, and would gets tons of sand on the shower floor that would then stay there until being cleaned the next morning, a minor inconvenience. This place was soooooo worth the money and we will definitely come back!!! ME GUSTA MUCHO!!

Room Tip: Choose Tent Cabin A (if you are staying in a cabin) there is no other cabins to the left so it is a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gillools
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ylang Ylang provided the perfect romantic getaway for my fiancé and me. We had our own private garden view bungalow tucked away but only steps from the beach. Every morning we would have coffee on our front balcony then head to the restaurant for breakfast. Delicious food. Some days we were lazy and just lounged by the pool or in a hammock on the beach and other days we were adventurous and took a hike to the waterfalls, rented atvs, and went zip lining. There are tons of activities and opportunities to lounge around. The best of both worlds, if you ask me! Dinners were equally wonderful and were set by candlelight overlooking the beach. This is truly a vacation we won't forget! We will be back :)

Room Tip: We loved the privacy of the Garden Bungalows and how the monkeys just peek over the roof
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Derek F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel El Jardin
Hotel El Jardin
#6 of 18 in Montezuma
Tambor Tropical Beach Resort

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!