“All that I dreamed of”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
San Francisco
“All that I dreamed of”
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I don't even know where to start with my positive comments about this lovely place. All of the employees at Ylang Ylang are stellar. They truly know how to provide excellent customer service. I love the dome that we stayed in. The room was on the small side and the only reason that mattered to me is that there was no obvious place to put your luggage and settle in. I was surprised that there wasn't any air conditioning but the ceiling fan and the tropical breeze kept us cool enough at night to sleep under the covers. The room was darling and we sat on the porch every single morning and night. There were monkeys everywhere and I took a thousand pictures. The grounds were unbelievable, so lush. The pool area was the perfect size for the amount of guests. At no time was there ever another person actually in the pool with us. I loved that they hung hammocks at the beach and at the pool too. Probably the best aspect of Ylang Ylang is the restaurant. Normally eating meals at the place I'm staying in would never interest me but that was not the case here. I don't eat meat and every single item on the breakfast menu was an option for me. The dinner menu was extensive and truly amazing. From Sushi to all kinds of fish along with Vegan and Raw options too! We finally ordered dessert on our last night and it was basically crack. We're totally addicted. The bananas flambe. Ylang Ylang is quality all around. Definitely stay here. Finally, regarding Montezuma. The town was a bit of a surprise, a surprise even to a person who has seen a lot of dead shows. Looked like the 1989 remains of a Dead show, the "shakedown" for sure. Cool in some ways and shady in others. People were friendly and bars were packed. It's a young crowd!

• Liked — the food, the room, the grounds, the monkeys...everything
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SFDead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Montreal
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Montezuma was not initially on our list of planned cities to visit in Costa Rica. Halfway through our trip we met a couple who had just come from the Ylang Ylang. They talked so admirable of the place that we had to see what it was all about. It was everything they promised and more!
From the moment we were greeted by Maurio in town we knew we would be well taken care of. Maurio is a gem! Xenio and the kitchen staff prepared some wonderful and delicious meals - It is obvious this cooking comes from the heart. Ricardo was a cool cat and ever so helpful. It was Ray's first day when we arrived. He is funny as he is friendly - a definite keeper! Everyone and everything from the stunning grounds to the location to the wildlife outside our window gave us the feel and 'Pura Vida' we were looking for in Costa Rica.
Especially you Mauria! You run the place seamlessly and with such sincere hospitality. Lui and I thank you for everything.
Our initial stay was meant for 2-3 days and we ended up staying for the week! Ylang Ylang felt like a second home - one we will definitely visit again!

• Liked — Relaxed atmosphere, beautiful scenery, dedication to preserving Montezuma wildlife and land
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tunes
Denver, CO
Reviewed December 30, 2007

We spent 2 nights at the Ylang Ylang in Jungalow #5 this month (12/07). It is truly a beautiful setting near the very unique town of Montezuma. When you arrive you are driven to the beachside location (less than a 10 min walk) from Montezuma. There is a restaurant/bar with a great view of the water and a gorgeous pool.

The are 7 Jungalows, #1-4 are located closer to the beach and #5-7 are more in the jungle area. We were in #5 which had a lot more privacy than the others and still an ocean view. As others have mentioned this is not paradise if you are afraid of spiders, other creepy crawlies and potentially scorpians. We definitely had a few in the room with us. However there is netting around the beds allowing for you to make your jungalow as open air as you like. It's part of the charm that the wildlife can join you in your room if they like, seriously. And the setting otherwise, more than makes up for it.

You can wake up in the morning and walk right out on the beach. You can spend a morning like we did walking 2 hours to the waterfall or just 15 mins to the beautiful Playa Grande.

Both breakfast and dinner are included in the price and are delicious. The menu has a great selection of most anything you'd like, including sushi and vegan menus. The happy hour offers great deals on their many tropical drinks.

So now, the 'too good to be true?' part. Well we also happened to meet some locals while we spent our week in Montezuma. They happened to mention that most of them don't frequent the Ylang Ylang restaurant or the Sano Banano (also owned by the same Americans). The reason for this is that there have been some problems with where they dump their waste. And I have to say we became a little suspicous ourselves when we noticed that the water from our mini kitchen sink emptied right out into the lawn around our jungalow. There were also some rumors that the owners of the hotel built their own elaborate home on some protected lands. What does this all mean? We don't know exactly. And I feel bad for not pushing it while we were there. After all, these are all just rumors, and otherwise we did really enjoy our stay there. I guess it's just residual guilt, for we would not want to support an establishment these things were true about. Perhaps some future guest can do some more investigations for us.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank denver_adventurer
Coronado, California
Reviewed December 11, 2007

My friend and I stayed in the Jungalows at Ylang-Ylang Resort and had an amazing time. The service was the best of anywhere we traveled the previos 2 weeks in Costa Rica. Mario was so friendly and willing to talk to about anything, Rey was the most amazing server and always knew what drink we were in the mood for that evening, and Moraya was not only friendly and helpful, but really went out of his way to make sure we had a good time. He recommended the Horse Back riding tour to the Florida Water and booked it around our schedule. It was teh BEST trip/tour we went on in all of Costa Rica. Montezuma and Ylang-Ylang were such a treat and I hope to get back there very soon. Out beds & pillows in the Jungalow were VERY comfortable and we had a blatst e-mailing our friends and fmaily about the "Jungalow" we stayed in. What a cute name. Did I mention the food yet? Oh My Gosh, it was absolutely AMAZING. The banana pancakes, tuna sanfwich, grilled veggie sandwich, Huevos Rancheros and catepillar roll were amazing and while we did visit other restaurants this and their sister restaurant El Sana Banana were by far the best overall food in town. I would highly recommend ANYONE to head to Ylang Ylang for a relaxing, beautiful and amazing vacation. We felt so spoiled after staying there that it was hard to go back home!

• Liked — Incredible Service. I have traveled the world adn the service here was top notch!
  • Disliked — Raccoon, my friend is scared of them...but we enjoyed the place so much that it outweighted her fear.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 6, 2007

First let me say, that Ylang Ylang Resort can't exactly be called luxury. If you can't imagine being up close and personal with nature (bugs, small crabs and maybe a monkey in or near your room), then this is not the place for you.
But if you are dreaming of a pristine beach, wild pristine rainforests and having wildlife as your neighbors, this is one of the most amazing resorts I've seen. I live in Costa Rica, and this is definitely one of the best lodging venues around. The quintessential Costa Rican escape, it also indulges hip bohemian lifestyles with organic cuisine, daily yoga sessions and unrelenting barefoot elegance.
If you are seeking a great place for a honeymoon, anniversary or romantic escape, you really can't do better than this. Candlelit dinners and walks on the beach are daily activities, and since you'll be constantly surrounded by bamboo and lush tropical foliage, privacy is king, allowing you to keep the doors and windows open to the fresh air and maybe a little nude sunbathing on your terrace.
Go with one of the beachfront domes - number 4 looks like the best they have.

• Liked — The beach and ocean views are incredible.
  • Disliked — No screens on the windows is a little hard to deal with at night.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoodVibes
Oregon
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Travling with our 7 year old son we wanted to feel safe (just from theft) and we wanted to feel we had everything we needed. Ylang Ylang had incredible service, internet (that really worked), grounds, awesome food (really!) and a fabulous pool etc. There is so much attention to detail. The rooms however are pretty basic and ours was very dark. I'd recommend being up a little since my partner had cutter ants nesting (complete with eggs) in his backpack after a couple of days! Big spiders in the room, as well as invisible pinching bugs (we heard come from the beach) etc. But what else can you expect on the jungle floor. Just go up a little. But EVERYTHING else was fantastic. They also helped with other bookings and travel to other regions. A huge help. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and especially those with kids looking for a place to sink in.

• Liked — the service, food, and location
  • Disliked — the dark and ultra basic rooms.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2007

It may be a little hard to get to the town of Montezuma if you a traveling by car. We had to take a ferry over from Puntarenas, which was a nice 1 hour break from driving!!
We arrived in Montezuma early afternoon. After checking in at the sister hotel, we walked the 10 minute walk down the beach to this hidden paradise.
All of the staff was excellent, especially Eduardo, who is you go to guy with any questions you have about Costa Rican nature and history.
The bungalow we stayed in was very private. I thought I would have a problem showering in the outside shower, but it was very private. The room was small, but the balcony was great for relaxing and listening to the ocean.
The food was excellent, and inclusive for breakfast and dinner. The menu had many different options, but I would recommend trying a seafood dish!!
The resort offers massages and yoga classes, and will also plan you trip to Isla Tortuga. There were capuchin monkeys everwhere!!
If you are going to stay in Montezuma, stay here. It is the priciest place in town, but well worth it!!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank hpreyes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Tambor Tropical Beach Resort

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!