All reviewsluz de monocosta ricanice poolsurrounded by treesloracasitalaurawildlifemonkeysjungletownnaturesheetsbugsfansparadisenets
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This is a nice hotel, in a big garden with a swimming-pool, hamacs, and sea view, big rooms, pretty bathrooms. But the best is the casitas on the hill, with two rooms, terrace and outdoor jacuzzi.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This hotel is a little paradise on earth...We arrived there without reservations and Laura,the manager,worked really hard to accomodate us.We stayed for a week and everything was perfect!
-The pool and kid's pool were great,very clean.
-You have about 5 choices for breakfast.
-The garden surrounding the hotel is amazing and very well groomed.
-All the staff is very nice and the place is very kid friendly.
We stayed in a casita (# 2)for the first night: clean,a great oceanview,hammock and outdoor jacuzzi on the terrace!!We had to move in a room for the following nights since it was already booked.The room was nice :we were on the second floor :we coul see all the monkeys in the trees!
The hotel is 2 minutes away from the beach.
THE PLACE TO STAY!!!WE LOVED IT

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I was a first-time solo traveler (a spiritual journey, if you will) and through my research and a little fate, I ended up at Luz de Mono in Montezuma. The property is beautiful and the people running it, especially Lora and Rocio, were friendly and helpful despite my obvious nervousness being alone in a foreign country for the first time. Now I should tell you that I'm not a "disney," "cruise," or "all-inclusive" type of traveler and if you are this part of Costa Rica may not be for you. It is more for the down to earth, adventurous traveler. With that in mind, I will say that the rooms at Luz de Mono were wonderfully accommodating -- clean but spare. No tv, a.c. or cute little soaps and shampoos - just the way I like it. The grounds of the property are magnificent - only steps from the beach (you can hear the ocean crashing) but built within the jungle. I had breakfast every morning in a peaceful open air pavillion surrounded by monkeys, birds and iguanas. Heaven. The hotel is just at the edge of the small but fun town of Montezuma so I could walk everywhere. Make sure you hike to the Montezuma water fall. Luz de Mono just reopened their restaurant and bar which is convenient and definitely worth experiencing. Two other restaurants I recommend are Cocolores and La Naranja. For a pricier but amazing ambience experience, try Playa de Artiste. I really didn't have a bad meal the whole vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2010

After quickly checking out most of the accomodations in Montezuma - we decided to stay at Hotel Luz de Mono...It was a no brainer...Unfortunately the Lonley Planet guide doesn't do this place justice...It was one of the better "overall" places we stayed at in Costa Rica...

Our group decided this place provided the best bang for the buck...With cheap accomodations ($50 for a room which included an awesome breakfast), the pristine pool area and the awesome jungle set up, this family run operation provided the comfort we needed...The grounds are quite large, set just up from the beach (1 minute walk), located in the jungle, and a 2 minute walk to the centre of town...It was great to see the abundance of Howler monkeys just hanginng out in the trees while we enjoyed our breakfast...

When I go back to Montezuma, I would not hesitate to stay at this place again...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Luz de Mono in montezuma on the Nicoya Peninsula exemplifies its relaxed spirit. Its location in lush and colourful surroundings with the pounding sound of the surf, and the wildlife, contribute to this magical setting.
The rooms are clean and the breakfasts superb and unrushed.
Above all, the friendliness and unfussy but kindly attitude of the owners and the staff a wonderfully memorable experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo