Hotel Luz de Mono
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$62
  • Pool
Hotel Casitas Sollevante(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$99
Hotel Aurora(Montezuma)
$60
$30
Hotel Casacolores(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Orbitz.com
The Howler Monkey Hotel(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$29
$239
$210
All reviewshowler monkeysin towncosta ricamagpierooms are spaciousceiling fannice poolsurrounded by treesfew minutes walkexcellent breakfastjungle settingsan joseloracasitaluzlaurawildlife
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I was a first-time solo traveler (a spiritual journey, if you will) and through my research and a little fate, I ended up at Luz de Mono in Montezuma. The property is beautiful and the people running it, especially Lora and Rocio, were friendly and helpful despite my obvious nervousness being alone in a foreign country for the first time. Now I should tell you that I'm not a "disney," "cruise," or "all-inclusive" type of traveler and if you are this part of Costa Rica may not be for you. It is more for the down to earth, adventurous traveler. With that in mind, I will say that the rooms at Luz de Mono were wonderfully accommodating -- clean but spare. No tv, a.c. or cute little soaps and shampoos - just the way I like it. The grounds of the property are magnificent - only steps from the beach (you can hear the ocean crashing) but built within the jungle. I had breakfast every morning in a peaceful open air pavillion surrounded by monkeys, birds and iguanas. Heaven. The hotel is just at the edge of the small but fun town of Montezuma so I could walk everywhere. Make sure you hike to the Montezuma water fall. Luz de Mono just reopened their restaurant and bar which is convenient and definitely worth experiencing. Two other restaurants I recommend are Cocolores and La Naranja. For a pricier but amazing ambience experience, try Playa de Artiste. I really didn't have a bad meal the whole vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2010

After quickly checking out most of the accomodations in Montezuma - we decided to stay at Hotel Luz de Mono...It was a no brainer...Unfortunately the Lonley Planet guide doesn't do this place justice...It was one of the better "overall" places we stayed at in Costa Rica...

Our group decided this place provided the best bang for the buck...With cheap accomodations ($50 for a room which included an awesome breakfast), the pristine pool area and the awesome jungle set up, this family run operation provided the comfort we needed...The grounds are quite large, set just up from the beach (1 minute walk), located in the jungle, and a 2 minute walk to the centre of town...It was great to see the abundance of Howler monkeys just hanginng out in the trees while we enjoyed our breakfast...

When I go back to Montezuma, I would not hesitate to stay at this place again...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Luz de Mono in montezuma on the Nicoya Peninsula exemplifies its relaxed spirit. Its location in lush and colourful surroundings with the pounding sound of the surf, and the wildlife, contribute to this magical setting.
The rooms are clean and the breakfasts superb and unrushed.
Above all, the friendliness and unfussy but kindly attitude of the owners and the staff a wonderfully memorable experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2010

just like staying at friends'. comfortable room, great place, three great nights =)

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Montezuma was our last stop on our trip in Costa rica so we were a little bit out of money. That is why we searched about 1 hour around the village (quite small one) for the best spot.
We saw that in Luz de mono you get for 40$ a room with breakfast included, we checked the room and it was perfect for us with a real hot shower, a good bed and very clean. The included breakfast was very tasty. The people who worked there were very friendly and helpful. The pool was excellent, we enjoyed it a lot. We got every day fresh beach towels which was a big plus as with the humidity out there you will never dry your clothes just hanging them out. This hotel was at the perfect place, close to everything but far from the noise. And I saved the best for the last-you get to see so many wild animals, like mapache, aguati or pisote, not mentioning the monkeys and the lizards which were everywhere…actually there we saw more animals than anywhere else in the country. I definitely can say this was the best place in Costa rica, an excellent choice where you get comfort, swimming pool with the ocean view and abundant animal life, marvelous tropical garden…I wish I was there right now

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple