All reviewsluz de monocosta ricanice poolsurrounded by treesloracasitalaurawildlifemonkeysjungletownnaturesheetsbugsfansparadisenets
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We returned to the Luz de Mono for the third time in August 2008. Each time we return, we find the same warm, friendly service and the beautiful, artistic touches in a tropical setting more inviting. The grounds are well cared for and absolutely beautiful and are alive with millions of monkeys, iguanas, and other critters unknown to the North American Continent. Each day as we walked to the restaurant for breakfast we were greeted with hearts made of flowers on the paths, flowers that had fallen from the vines during the night. The managment and employees are one of the reasons we continue to come back. They are warm, informative and helpful. Our rooms were cleaned daily, including fresh towels. You can also have your laundry done while you vacation and return to find it neatly folded on your bed. The rooms are spacious, well furnished and secure.
We have recommended the Luz to many of our friends who have found this a wonderful paradise.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank con2909
Reviewed May 26, 2008

When we arrived in Montezuma on Sunday afternoon, we did not have a place to stay. A quick trip around town led us to Luz de Mono. The staff members were really friendly and accommodating. The room was fine, but nothing special, aside from a nice hot shower. However, the toilet leaked, the beds were lumpy and worn out and the blankets were minimal. Yes, it gets hot in Costa RIca, but during the rainy season at night it is chilly! We did not eat at the hotel, but we had a drink at their beautiful bar. The breakfast included in the room cost was served at the cafe next door and it was quite good. The service was friendly, too. If I were to return to Montezuma, I would look for a more comfortable bed.

Reviewed September 3, 2007

If you look at the hotel website you may be disappointed when you get to the hotel. The description of the rooms and casitas is really not accurate..or at least it wasn't when we staid there. There were no casitas as they were refurbishing them, the hotel rooms were missing many things, but in particular a wardrobe, or even and hanger or a hook. We left our clothes folded up on the spare bed. Having said that we paid $30 for a very big room in the foerst, with decent size bathroom and satellite TV. Big kingsize bed, clean. Shame for the white curtain: you wake up at 4 in the morning. Staff helpful, but maybe not the kindest and in most informed. No credit cards accepted, but the bakery associated next door accept them. Forget about paying with travellers-cheques. no way! Lovely breakfast at the bakery with birds and monkeys: very picturesque and lovely bread and cakes.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My wife and I along with another couple rented a casita in March 2006. The lobby and restaurant area are very artistic and unique. Led uphill on a very steep and confusing path even after the fifth or sixth time, we got our first look at it. The "oceanview" consisted of a small sliver of blue visible through the trees. Ocean-sound would have been a better description as the raging surf was omnipresent and admittedly soothing. Our balcony was a splintery wooden deck that had boards loose enough to constitute a legitimate hazard and sparked amusing visions of the four of us crashing down the rain forest in a small cold-water jacuzzi.
Inside the casita it was both nice and not so much. The two bedrooms were simple and rustic-as we had expected. What was not expected were the gaping holes in the screens. Our friend's room had a two and a half foot section torn down (apparently this is a favorite spot for a local iguana who appeared there the next day to literally "hang out". )The bathroom was fine except for the request to put all toilet paper in the basket alongside the bowl which didn't even have a lid. I understand that in less-costly establishments this is standard practice (aside from no lid) but in my week elsewhere in Costa Rica-some at less expensive places, wiping and flushing were standard amenities and if I knew this was the policy, I would have booked elsewhere. (The owner later told me that it was OK to use things as normal, but only after I complained)
Furious at the rickety condition of the place, I went right to the owner, an Italian ex-pat who was friendly but tried to make excuses for everything as if for the $160 a night we shelled out for the place this was all that we could expect. When I informed him that I wanted a refund he promised to send his maintenance guy the next day and as compensation offered us both one free breakfast and dinner during our stay if we remained. Too tired to raise more of a fuss, I acquiesced, and our stay wasn't as bad as I expected, but still nowhere near worth the money it cost--especially in a Latin American country. So, while I give points for the owner's offer and must say that the food at the restaurant was the absolute best I had the entire trip, overall this was a disappointment for me and definitely not worth the money and excitement the web site created promoting it as an artistic alternative hideaway. At least the monkeys were cute.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank SirVerity
Reviewed April 3, 2006

We were not happy with the Luz de Mono. I read a couple other reports in this forum that had positive things to say about the Luz but my husband and I would disagree. The Luz de Mono has a beautiful web site that we felt did not accurately portray the over priced accommodations received. Our jacuzzi tub, advertised as on a deck with an ocean view, was in the back of the casita (no view)under some trees and was constantly full of debris. Of course the debris did not matter because there was no plug with which to keep the cold water in (no hot water). For this we were expected to pay $40.00/day extra. On our third day we were finally given a plug. The refrigerator would not close leaving a 3/4" gap and would not even come close to keeping our food cold. I was unable to open and close the sliding glass doors as the tracks of the runners were broken. My husband did all the opening and closing. Oh well, the doors could only be locked from the outside anyway. The lock was broken. The casita was at the top of the hill so it had a nice view but there was not one outdoor light in working order. This made coming back in the dark dangerous. The climb up concrete stepping stones would have been impossible had we not had a flashlight. The property had lighting but from what I understand none of the lights worked. We were glad it did not rain as most of our casita was covered with a plastic tarp due to the many broken roof tiles. It appears that the Luz de Mono was once a beautiful hotel but has had little to no maintenance or upkeep for quite some time. The management refused to refund any portion of our deposit and we entered into a difficult negotiation. We are still working with our bankcard company in an effort to receive a refund on an amount charged to our card that was never disclosed. On the good side....the casita we had for 6 nights was spacious. If you need lots of empty space the Luz de Mono might be for you. I personally would rather have good value for my dollar, safety, and my food stored properly.

• Stayed: January 2006