All reviewsluz de monocosta ricanice poolsurrounded by treesloracasitalaurawildlifemonkeysjungletownnaturesheetsbugsfansparadisenets
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We booked a casita for a special rate and we got a separate little studio with ocean view and a jacuzzi. Lots of wildlife and I especially loved the monkeys :) We were traveling with our 9 month old son, so we enjoyed the clean baby pool with the little slide. The people were very helpful especially when we needed to heat up our baby food. Lovely and friendly staff!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The first thing that we found when we arrived at this place was that it was very clean, avery where in the hotel. The rooms are nice and clean and the restaurant is also open to the nature and very well managed, where you find very good breakfast included inthe price of your room. The personnel of this place is very friendly, specially Louis, the assistant manager, who makes every thing that your vacation be unforgettable.The pool is not an olympic pool but is enough large for your needs but the beach is at 30 seconds walk so you much more at the beach than at te pool.
There's no air conditionnig but you don't need it because it's cool by night and not humid so you're just fine with the fan th;at we find in every room.So at the end it is a very good place for the price ;that you gona pay, for to be part of the CostaRican Jungle. I'LL recommand this place to my best friend.

Richard Grenier

Room Tip: For my part the best room, without T"V" is roome No. 2 for two persons, and room No. 5 for a little family with 2 Chidren.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me start by saying I was not disappointed by Luz de Mono. I knew what I was getting into. I was traveling with vouchers from a travel agency that I could use at a number of properties in Costa Rica. There were only a couple options for me in Montezuma and Luz de Mono was the best choice, primarily due to location. I made advance reservations for 2 nights, so there should have been no questions about the how long my stay would be.

I'm writing this review to provide some balance to other reviews that paint what I feel is an overly-rosy picture of this property. I know accommodations in Montezuma are more basic in general, and Luz de Mono is typical of these. Other than it's location and the wildlife on the grounds, it's nothing special. It's far from the luxury property some reviewers portray. I'm not making complaints, and don't expect or desire a response from the management. I'm making accurate statements of what I experienced.

I experienced a spartan room with torn bedding, a ceiling fan that was noisy and wobbled so badly I thought it may come down, a refrigerator that was noisy and never got cool in 2 days. The shower walls were stained and doors coated with scum. The pool water was cloudy and not inviting (I understand this was a situation they were aware of, but I was not made aware of it during my stay.) The standard rooms do not have satellite TV as their website suggests. I was issued one towel and small bar of soap upon check in at reception and a second towel was provided the next day.

Breakfast was basic fare with no effort towards presentation. I saw no one eating in the restaurant or in the garden for dinner. I took that as a hint and found nice restaurants in town.

The location is great, close to the beach and town. The wildlife on the grounds is a real treat.

I found other hotels nearby that offered better value for the money. Next time I'm in Montezuma I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
AROLB, Gerente at Hotel Nya, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for writing again!
When you left the hotel you wrote a review immediately about our hotel and service. We as a manager team reply and explain our view and we give you our apologize. What was our surprise that your review disappeared after that. And now I realize that you just took off your rewrite responding to my letter. I think Tripadvisor is all about being honest with the hotel and with the people reading and just expressing your opinion of the hotel and it is not in rewriting your opinion in respond to our letter.
Now you say that you do not desire any response.
Thank you very much for the understanding but we need to reply again!
First of all as many of our tripadvisor critics shows that our hotel is rustic. When you arrive you have been shown an upgraded room with Satellite TV but you wanted to stay in a standard room that corresponded to your voucher. Probably your agency already explain to you that for 55$ that the agency pays to us you get a standard room. Thank you that you consider our hotel the best option in Montezuma that your agency gives to you.
You made a reservation for 2 days but when you check in you did not gives the 2 voucher straight away, you only give us 1 voucher this is probably you wanted to see how are you going to feel. On the morning you did not complain or wanted a change of room because of the dangerous ventilator and the torn sheets. Still you said nothing and gave us a second voucher for the second night and slept again with the "danger ventilator" and the "torn sheets". Why? We still try to understand? We spoke with your agency, you did not say a word to them either. Normally you have to inform your agency that you did not like any of the accommodation they provide but we assume is much important for you first to voice your review than anything else.
I believe that Spartans would have been very happy if they have had a solid concrete rooms, with comfortable beds, private bathroom and a hot shower, fresh towel and a soap. Normally we are nature concerned hotel so we provide towel for each person one for outside and one for the room. We are concerned how much water we waste in washing.
Thank you very much for expressing your opinion for our restaurant but still we do not understand how you can express your opinion of a restaurant that you have not even seen the menu. But we are glad that you found the right restaurant for you!
We are sorry that you found our wildlife a treat. Sorry but we can not control our wild animals. Most of the people are very happy to see the monkeys meanwhile enjoying the pool. Sorry we did not inform you for the inconvenience of the pool, we apologize for that, it was our mistake.
We have one high percentage of walk-in visitors who can see first the room, our pool and after that decide and stay. Normally we charge only 1 night of each reservation because if the people are not happy to stay a second night we prefer that they look for a place that will make them happier without any penalty charges.
We do hope that next time you come to our village you find the right place for you so you will enjoy Montezuma at the most.
As I mention in my previous letter to you, the team of Luz de mono consider our place unique with so much wild animals and tropical garden we will continue doing our best to make people happy on their vacations. We know by experience that we will never be liked by everyone but we will never give up trying.
We will check all the mention negative points and we will try to improve if something is needed. Thank you for your review again we know that in any place there are points to improve and this is our goal daily.

Lora Boyanova

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

For us this place represented the best value in Montezuma. Things are expensive here so 80$ was great for the enormous charming suite we got. They also have smaller rooms for 60$ and houses for under $100. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. It's 1 minute walk from the best beach in town but the best feature by far is that it's located on the grounds of what I can only describe as an enchanted forest. On a daily basis we saw howler and capuchin monkeys, coati, agouti, racoons, iguanas, exotic squirrels and bats. Almost all the animals we saw in Corcovado but in complete comfort. Really it's like living in a 4 star national park. If you like wild live this is the place

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Yes, definitely go there! Even if you think of spending a bit less, it's worth not saving on this place. In the end, the price is okay anyway. You get a really nice and spacious room in the middle of the "jungle" one minute from a nice beach with big waves. Very clean rooms, very nice place, helpful staff and a pool with a slight view on the ocean. Waking up and going to sleep with sounds of the ocean, monkeys and exotic birds. Iguana lizards everywhere - but don't be scared, they're scared of you more! :)
This was the best place we stayed in Costa Rica over our two-weeks holiday.
p.s. have pancakes for breakfast - they're delicious!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple