Hotel Luz de Mono
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$62
  • Pool
Hotel Aurora(Montezuma)
$60
$30
Sano Banano Beachside Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$50
Hotel Celaje(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$60
  • Breakfast included
The Howler Monkey Hotel(Cabuya)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotel Los Mangos(Montezuma)
$53
  • Pool
Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$75
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$80
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$29
$199
All reviewshowler monkeysin towncosta ricamagpierooms are spaciousceiling fannice poolsurrounded by treesfew minutes walkexcellent breakfastjungle settingsan joseloracasitaluzlaurawildlife
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed in Luz the Mono for 2 nights. I feel the place was originally designed with a lot of care, thought and love and it shows in the gardens, common area and wood details in the rooms. I learned the owner passed away a few years ago and it seems that details have been left to go as well. Our bathroom had a constant urine smell, and although I mentioned it to Rocio, the receptionist, nothing was done about. Breakfast wasn't the best, but it was fun to watch magpies-jay try to get food from every table.
On the bright side, Laura, the innkeeper, was wonderfully sweet, fun, honest and helpful. The pool was nice and it was a block away from the beach. Overall, I feel Luz de Mono is a place most people could enjoy for just a few days.
On the bright

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We arrived in Montezuma with no plans on where to stay. After walking the whole town and looking at a room in every hotel in town, we decided to stay at Hotel Luz de Mono. We had walked past this property early in the day, though did not stop because I thought it would be over our budget when looking at the beautiful grounds.
After looking at everything directly in town this was the cleanest most beautiful hotel (There are of course hotels further out, but a car would be necessary at is would be a long walk).
The price was $45-$55 (includes breakfast and taxes) this time of year with discount if paid in cash. We opted for the standard room. They have a beautiful pool that looks out at the ocean, beautifully landscaped grounds, nice cleans rooms and private hot shower, and a hammock. The only other hotel I would have considered would have been Hotel El Jardin at the top of town. The price though was $70 and up. If that is within your budget you could check it out.

Room Tip: We liked standard room two.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We spent three nights in a jungle cabin, surrounded by monkeys and iguanas. If you enjoy being off the beaten track in a rustic environment , this hotel is for you. If you are loking for luxury linens, stay away! Clean but very basic, but the rates are very reasonable and the service personable.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We recently returned from Costa Rica, a portion of our trip landed us at this motel for few nights. Truly an experience! At first I was really taken back that 5-10 bats guarded the door to our room, a gecco lived on our ceiling & left his droppings on our bed, there was 2 HUGE fuzzy beattles that lived under our mattress....then I was reminded that we were in the jungle & this would be all part of the experience. We woke each day to the sounds of the jungle; birds, bugs & the howler monkeys. The lush tropical paths through the grounds were simply amazing & beautiful. The pool was refreshing & nestled perfectly on the grounds. We however, had our worsed dining experience at the on grounds restaurant, food was ok- service was horrible! The meals took over an hour to come out, could not get another drink & the experience continued. But there are plenty of great places to eat in town!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Good points are (1) location is very handy to shops and beach, (2) botanical garden type setting with tropical birds, monkeys and iguanas, (3) good size room with sufficient hot water (4) the lady who runs the hotel is a super person speaking good English (5) food service is good.
Bad point is there is poor security at this hotel. The rustic style rooms must have been designed by an idealist. There was no safe in my room yet I saw them in another hotel in town that cost about 40% less. Front doors have decent locks but the back of my accommodation block was screened by jungle and,especially at night, a burglars dream as each room has a large screen/wood only window with removable man-size section. Some filthy criminal kicked in this section while I was out and helped himself to most of my possessions. The Policia shook their heads in disbelief.
My advice would be to stay here by all means but treat the rooms as if they were unlocked. Always have a travel companion in the room or take all valuables including electronics along when going out. (The hotel does offer to keep stuff in the office too.)

submitted by: trmartin@telus.net