“If you know what you want, great value”
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

Hotel Los Mangos
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Montezuma
Reviewed January 5, 2009

For the first night of our honeymoon we had rented a private house near Montezuma but couldn't find it. In desperation, we turned to Los Mangos because we had already checked it out online.

If you know what to expect and decide Los Mangos is for you, you should be quite satisfied. Read the reviews here and read between the lines. If it's important to you to have air conditioning, not see any bugs (or huge lazy iguanas or troops of howler monkeys), and have somebody bring you mixed drinks by a pool, then you probably want somewhere else. (In fact, I wonder why you're considering Costa Rica? Wouldn't you be happier in Manhattan?)

If, on the other hand, your in Costa Rica looking for a little adventure, and are ok getting a little sweaty, a little dusty, and a little close to nature--but still getting a nice shower, clean sheets, and a charming little room of your own with a porch and rocking chair--then this is probably a good fit for your trip.

Important: there's a big difference between the main hotel building and the bungalows. The building rooms are *very* bare-bones, some with shared bath. They're also a *very* good price, so if you're on a hostel-type trip or a shoestring budget, go for it. The bungalows get you more privacy, and are a lot more aesthetically pleasing. They're fairly small, about a 10-ft-diameter circle, with a bathroom attached. There was a safe, and *possibly* a fridge, though I don't remember. I think there was a ceiling fan, but definitely not AC.

Aside from the price, the grounds and wildlife of the hotel are a big plus. The mango trees for which it is named cover the grounds and drop ripe mangoes everywhere. This means, by the way, that the smell of rotting mangoes can be powerful in some spots--but it's a sticky/sweet smell, not really unpleasant. It also means that a lot of big iguanas, like 1-2 ft. long, and troops of monkeys can be counted on to show up daily. The iguanas are lazy and will just sit on the path as you walk around them; the monkeys were pretty bold too, roosting in a tree about 50 ft from us and grooming each other. If these ideas creep you out, then cancel your trip to CR and instead book yourself a nice, airtight hotel in a major city in a developed Western country and see your monkeys in the zoo and mangoes in the produce section.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hamlet422

Reviewed September 11, 2008

We had a lovely stay in Los Mangos. Looking around at the other hotels in Montezuma, we could tell we'd come to the best place!!! Los Mangos, (our best stay in Costa Rica) has a beautiful pool, with a stunning view of the sea from it. The bungalows were very comfy, (make sure you book a bungalow and not a room) and there was so much wildlife!!! The monkeys ran around in the beautiful mango trees, and you can get beautiful sights of them eating the mangos. Mostly there are howler monkeys, but you do sometimes see white faced monkeys running around on the yoga bungalow. The only fault I can think of for Los Mangos is that there is no reastraunt, but we always enjoyed the short walk along the beach to the centre of Montezuma looking for a jolly reastraunt. A brilliant stay, which I highly recomend, paridise!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Pura-Vida00728
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I took a group of friends here for a three day stay. We reserved six of the bungalows. We sent our credit card information, and were assured that the reservation was confirmed. We were told that this was only to hold the reservation, and we could pay in full when we arrived.

We were also told that the bungalows were "oceanfront". Their website states this as well.

The person that originally took our reservation quit a couple of days later. I reconfirmed with the owner when I sent the credit card info. A week prior to our arrival, we checked again. The man on the other end of the phone pulled our reservation, and assured us that we were fully confirmed.

Our group of eleven arrived by private bus, and were greeted by the desk clerk. He seemed to be about nineteen years old. We were extremely disappointed by the condition of this property. The maintenance was extremely poor. The pictures on the website most be very old. The bungalows were scattered on a hillside. No where near the ocean. The ocean is across the street and obscured by trees and another hotel! Even though this place was dumpy and overpriced, we decided to stick it out. We unloaded all of our bags from the bus.

We were then told that they only had two bungalows, and that everyone else would have to accept a standard room. We checked them out, and they were like a backpackers hotel. Totally unacceptable. This kid told me that my reservation was not confirmed, and that they had let our rooms go. I showed him my printed confirmation and told him that I had reconfirmed a week before. He told me "that guy doesn't work here anymore"

We packed up and left. We ended up at another hotel closer to town. Brand new, better priced, and professionally managed. (We ended up having a great experience at Hotel Luz de Mono!)

I am a wholesaler specializing in Costa Rica, and have been doing this for 16 years. I usually only book hotels that I have personally inspected. I booked this hotel on the strength of the outdated pictures on their website, and positive reviews found here. This was my mistake. The good news was that this was a group of very understanding personal friends. They were patient with me, and we fixed the problem. But this hotel is expensive for this area, and not a good value at all.

I don't know how it has received even one positive review. It is poorly managed, and it is a dump!

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank CRTrav
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights (we had booked it for three but bailed out early). Let me begin by saying that we hardly slept at all due to the thousands of bugs in the room, screeching birds outside the window, and growling wild boars. After around 8 pm, the water was turned off completely, leaving us with fowl smelling toilets and no showers. The swimming pool was our one refuge--it was clean and at least smelled of chlorine. The people who run the hotel are nice, but are certainly not going to go out of their way to help you. The hotel is relatively close to town, but it requires a walk along a dark, muddy road. Lastly, our biggest mistake was in thinking that the hotel was situated along a white sandy beach. In realty, it has a view of a very rocky, muddy beach that is occupied by scary dogs and unfriendly locals. Steer clear of this hotel, and for that matter, Montezuma.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traventurer
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Stayed here 6 years ago and liked it, so I stayed again. The price is good and the location is great. Close enought to the town centre to walk to in just a few minutes, far enough away from it so you don't have to put up with any noise. We stayed in the hotel and the rooms here are very basic, with a safe and a fridge in the "big" rooms and just a safe in the small rooms. This suited us just fine because we only needed the room to sleep in. If you are looking for luxury accomodations with chandeliers and paintings, this isn't it. If you would like to see all sorts of wildlife right from your porch, this is it! We saw howler and capuchin monkeys in the day feeding on the mangoes, two different types of large lizards, land crabs, and when the sun goes down, the bats come out to eat what few mosquitoes there are. We were even hand feeding some of the birds! Nature haters should beware of this place. All the staff were friendly and did a good job running the place, especially Ricardo at the reception. He is nothing short of eager to help and is very knowledgeable about Montezuma and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank sonnysullivan
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Beautiful grounds (up a hill, in the heat, a bit much) with a view of the pool and ocean. Bungalow ok, beds have rustic bases
which stick out past the bed, perfect for getting bone bruises on your shins. Maids do basic cleaning - there for 6 days and they
never cleaned/changed the 2 glasses in the bathroom or washed the soap tray. Large ants in bathroom, especially at night. Very dark/poor lighting. No coffee pots in room or at reception - only a very small refridgerator. no dressers only a small closet. Outlet in bathroom didn't work. Last night there they were watering the grounds right outside bungalow around
4 am, the water sprayer was incredibly loud and hit the tree every
10 seconds - enough to wake the dead. We paid cash so got it at the cheaper rate of $70 a night, quite expensive for CR, but Montezuma as a whole seemed to live by the motto of "gouge the gringo".

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank fillingpassport
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I came here with my two girlfriends and we all fell in love with the place. Stay in the bungalows! Beautiful wood structures built above the ground. Awsome decks with the previously mentioned leather rocking chairs and hamock. What more could you want? I smiled when i read another review that said "yoga with Dagmar changed my life" because we all felt the same way! Best yoga classes ever overlooking the pacific, WOW. Yes the rooms were dark but would you want it to be filled with sun all day with no air conditioning? Unfortunatly, we only got to stay here 2 night and then moved over to Hotel D'amour (don't think i remembered the name right) but only because we had booked ahead of our trip. If we had known we would have stayed at Los Mangos. Hope to be back someday! Go to the waterfall, the pool at the bottom was the coolest most refreshing beautiful thing on a hot day.
You will love Los Mangos, I would not want to know any person that would not love it here, something wrong with them!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)