“somewhat disappointing”

Mariposario Butterfly Garden
Ranked #8 of 26 things to do in Montezuma
More attraction details
Owner description: The Montezuma Butterfly Gardens is located 1.6 km outside of Montezuma on the Montezuma-Delicias road where the trail to the upper waterfalls is located. The Butterfly garden is open 7 days a week 8am-5pm. The entrance fee is $4.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I enjoyed it simply because I love seeing butterflies and being outside.
Not much info and could be kept in better condition.
Not many butterflies considering it is a butterfly garden
Waterfall hike was good and so was the swim when you got there
Bring good sandals the hike is not just regular path to the falls.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We came for the Butterfly Gardens and the hike to the waterfall. The gardens is a very small (and let me emphasize small) area with only a few butterflies. It is not worth it. We did see 3 blue butterflies, but I saw more butterflies on our nature hike. The waterfall hike is nice. If you are wanting to go on the waterfall hike, park by the Montezuma bridge and go to the waterfalls that way; as you do not need to pay to go to the waterfalls. As for the butterfly gardens, there are many better places to go. I did read some good reviews on the gardens, but having been there, I have no idea what anyone was talking about. After our hike, my husband and I thought it would be better if we didn't tell anyone that we had been here, as we found it embarrassing.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a great mariposario! Lots of information and friendly staff! You can tell they love what they do.

1  Thank Junebug812
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped by one afternoon and spoke with Ryan the owner of the inn and the butterfly garden and decided to come back the next morning for breakfast and to walk through the garden. It was a nice relaxing morning after the long walk up the three steep hills to get there. We started off with a nice cooked breakfast and then we spent some time walking through the butterlfy garden. There was an intern working who showed us what she was doing in order to breed more blue monarches. There were a number of differnt butterflies in the garden and so beautiful to watch and learn about.

We also like talking with Ryan the owner when we were there. We had just arrived to the area and he recommended some places that we might want to check out and also renting an ATV and some things to see and places to stop by. He was really helpful and his information made the day we rented the ATV a blast.

1  Thank Beth F
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Mariposario was located on a steep hill -- so prepare for a hike! The tour is nice and informative, and the butterflies are impressive in size and colour, but I think our favourite was the owner's home-brewed IPA. He also lets you taste some superfood plant juice (quite "interesting" taste!) and shows you some pretty yucky spiders, but you don't have to touch them (thank goodness)! You can also hike to the top of the waterfall from the garden.