“Incredible experience- can't wait to go back!”

Young Vision Surf School
Ranked #2 of 17 Tours in Montezuma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Young Vision Surf School is a Costa Rican owned and operated surf school in Montezuma, Costa Rica. International Surf Association (ISA) Certified bilingual surf instructors and Certified Beach Rescue Lifeguards teach you about safety in the water, standing up on the board and catching waves of all sizes. Daily lessons include two hours of instruction, the use of the surf board, rash guard and fresh fruits. Contact us to fulfill your dream of surfing in paradise!
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My experience with Young Vision Surf School was incredible. These young men far exceeded my expectations in knowledge, patience, and professionalism. They are the absolute best teachers I could have asked for. In 5 lessons with Alvaro I went from never having touched a surf board to riding real waves with them. I absolutely loved my experience with Young Vision and discovered a new hobby that I absolutely love. I can't wait to return to Montezuma and surf with them again! Thank you thank you thank you!

All reviews
"beautiful beach"
"big waves"
"his team"

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I didn't surf but hung out in the water while Manuel taught my daughter and her friend how to surf. Super patient, smart and an excellent teacher. Great communication skills. By the end of the session, both girls were on their boards and confident while riding the waves all the way to the beach.

Manuel works extremely hard, has great knowledge and respect for the natural gifts of his native community. He explained how he gives back to his community by helping to found a local surfing competition. I would recommend Manuel and his colleagues to anyone who is visiting the area. Maybe, next time I come, I'll try to get my fat butt up on the surfboard. In the meantime, I wish nothing but future success to our new friend.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

These guys are nice, knowledgeable, and very patient. Got referred to them by word of mouth and definitely have been worth it. Wish the two hours could last just a bit longer since it was such a great experience!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Manuel was the best surf teacher we could have asked for! Friendly, clear, effective and so much fun to learn from. I have been surfing two other times in my life and this was the best time by far. His instruction was great - he was very knowledgeable about the beach, the forest and life in Costa Rica. Getting to know Manuel and Costa Rican life through his perspective while enjoying the beautiful waves was the best activity I did while I stayed in Montezuma. It even included him climbing a coconut tree with bare feet and opening up fresh coconuts for us to drink on a break. Absolutely recommend surfing with him anytime you're in the area!

ManuelandAlvaro, Owner at Young Vision Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for this great feedback, we certainly appreciate your comments and are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We always hope to show our students the true beauty of our home in the jungle and help them to experience the thrill of surfing in paradise! So glad to have shared this with you... this is why we love what we do! Come and see us again soon. Pura Vida

See more reviews
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Originally I intended to partake in only one day of surfing as part of a yoga retreat at Anamaya resort, however I enjoyed learning to surf with Young Vision so much that I took two more lessons. I had surfed a little bit when I was younger however was not very successful at standing up nor riding properly. Right from the start, the team sets you up to succeed and is very encouraging. Every person in the group I was with stood up on the first day with the assistance of personalized coaching and the use of long board surfboards. Manuel, Nic, and Sammie tailored each lesson to address the particular needs of each surfer; most of us were beginners but more advanced surfers took lessons on the breaks further from shore. Safety and comfort are top priorities at Young Vision and when the conditions got to be rough one day we took a break. There were only two to three surfers per instructor which gave opportunity for trying out new suggestions and working on personal growth as the week progressed.

Playa Grande is a beautiful beach with regular, even breaks and was never crowded while we visited. Although a bit of a walk from Montezuma, coming here was well worth it – even just swimming in the water felt like paradise! Fresh fruit is provided at a midpoint in the day in the company of monkeys and everyone was entertained by the coconuts gathered by our instructors.

Playa Hermosa, another surf beach, is also beautiful and Young Vision took the time to build a bonfire and create a welcoming “Pura Vida” atmosphere. It is obvious that the instructors live and breathe surfing even when they are not instructing and take pride in maintaining their Costa Rican shores, valuing a balanced ecosystem between humans and nature.

After returning home, I was inspired to dust off my old surfboard here in Long Island, NY to keep the surf stoke going strong and I have been continuing my practice ever since my visit. A truly unforgettable experience, I too would enthusiastically recommend Young Vision to those who want to have fun, get outside and be active!

We appreciate your comments so much! It makes us so proud to know that your surf lessons with us reconnected you with this sport we love so much. Glad to have inspired you to get back in the water with your board.... enjoy the waves, stay safe and come back soon!