“Canadian owners.. Yay!” 4 of 5 stars

100 meters west of Montezuma Central, Montezuma, Costa Rica
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, South American, Costa Rican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Description: Type of cuisine is more a fusion. Includes typical & other varieties of breakfast, lunch has tacos, sandwiches, salads, hamburgers, and dinner has pastas, sandwiches, hamburgers, & daily specials.
Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
“Canadian owners.. Yay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stopped to eat here when we saw the Canadian flag painted next to the Costa Rican flag. The sandwiches and fruit smoothies were great. Reasonable prices, good service and a nice chill atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“breakfast of champions! good options and great prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

After a crazy day in the sun with a big sunburn the refuge of Vaca Loca was awesome! Cool pineapple smoothie and the cool polished cement bench was exactly what was needed. Mr. Black the mascot of Vaca Loca was very sweet as well cuddled up for a nap. We cooled and then ate the fish tacos while chatting it up with fellow Torontonian restaurant owner.

The next day we came back for an early breakfast and I had the Pinto Loca- a Costa Rican combo of rice and beans, eggs, avocado and tomatoes, bacon and fresh bread. The basil garlic sauce was incredible. My girlfriend had an avocado and cheese sandwich on fresh baked bread and it was incredible.

Reasonable prices, good atmosphere and delish food! YUM!

• Visited March 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“The food was amazing!! But I wish I hadn't seen how they prepared it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

After eating at almost every place in Montezuma, I decided to give Vaca Loca a try on my way back to the B&B from swimming in the ocean. I decided to get the roasted veggie sandwich - just the description alone on the menu was mouth-watering.

I wish I had not witnessed how my sandwich was made, because then I would have never known and had enjoyed the amazing food. The older lady who was making it did not wash her hands, she touched everything in the kitchen (they have an open kitchen, that's why I could see all of this), touched her face, her clothes, etc. while making my sandwich. She also ate a few things off my sandwich while she was preparing it as well. I kept reminding myself that my immune system will take care of whatever was coming my way.

When it came time to pay, the Canadian girl who works there, touched her nostril right before she wrapped up my sandwich, right in front my eyes! No biggie! At this point I was so hungry that I didn't care.

I brought the sandwich back to the B&B and decided to not think about what I had witnessed. I ate the food while chatting with my friends. It was amazing. The garlic sauce really added to the flavor. All that was short-lived when I saw a strand of hair sticking out of my food. Worse food experience in a long time.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Milani23
Los Angeles, California
“Solid choice for breakfast/lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Vaca Loca is good. I had the shrimp tacos and they were topped with a cabbage slaw, which gave the impression of healthy food. Dousing the tacos with chipotle and garlic mayo was probably the lesser healthy option, but it was delicious. My fellow dinners had the chicken or fish casado and there wasn't a single complaint. However, for a quick bite, this isn't your place (though it would appear to be). We waited a full our for our lunch, with four people working and 7 tables.

Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Solid Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Me and my gf came here and we got the blackened chicken sandwich and the steak "vaca loca" sandwich. The meal was great, and was even better with the fresh fruit juices. Stop by here when you're in Montezuma, a bit pricey compared to other local places but not by much. Each sandwich was about $9 USD compared to places where it can be $6-7 so nbd

Visited December 2012