WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“If I were to come back to Montezuma, it would be Luz en el Cielo :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel

Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
Ranked #1 of 17 Montezuma B&B and Inns
“If I were to come back to Montezuma, it would be Luz en el Cielo :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Luz en el Cielo for the past 4 days. Upon arrival I was greeted in the dark of the night by a warm light of the downstairs patio by lovely Erica. There were other guests sitting around enjoying the night warmth and ocean breeze (and sound the waves!) and light pleasant music was playing. Erica took me straight up to my room so I could put my bag down. She showed me all I needed to know about bathrooms, water, kitchen- very thorough run thorough. When back downstairs she offered me a beer locally brewed down the street.
My sleep was fine! It is a regular dorm room and it is cleaned daily. Everything is very clean- and no bugs really! Weird. .
Waking up to the terrifying sound of howler monkeys... I will miss it dearly. Monkeys all around in the afternoon!
WHAT A TREAT IN THE MORNING !! 8am I was asked by the lovely and very sweet cook if I'd like everything- I just said yes. A beautiful plate of gallo pinto, fresh pineapple and banana, seasoned scrambled eggs, bit of toast, and really good coffee (I am a coffee snob)
I really must say though, Erica was a sweetheart. She made me feel so welcome and taken care of and it was never an issue if you needed any kind of help. You can tell she loves her job.
The only reason I gave a 4 for service is because the gentlemen employed there really did give you the air that they don't really care to see you and act like somehow you are below them. When a guest had a question and asked one of the guys the guy didn't leave his hammock and said- I dunno ask bla bla downstairs but he's watching a tv show right now, so let him relax first and finish his show then u can ask". It was so unbelievable I was laughing out loud!
I live and breath service industry and that was quintessentially Erica. I didn't see the owner but once, but I could tell she was as sweet. Same for Kate! I didn't interact with her as much, but I can tell she is seasoned and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Nice little hostel set amongst the jungle with nature all around. The staff was friendly and the music was even better. I enjoyed my time at Luz except for a few minor issues. There is only one working toilet to be shared amongst 20 people and I found it quiet annoying, a little more privacy would be nice. Occasionally you would get a drift of some awful smell coming from the pipes, not sure what the problem is there. The communal environment is great - a nice place to engage in conversation. I wish the hammocks in the communal area were a bit larger as you can't comfortably relax after a long day at the beach. I would recommend this place to others once their sewage and bathroom issues are fixed. Overall, nice experience, I just wish the smell would match it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your time at Luz. The plumbing issues only lasted a few days and have been resolved. Our septic tanks in Costa Rica are fragile and we ask kindly that Toilet paper does not get flushed, but when these guidelines are not followed it ruins the connivence for other guests. It is very difficult to get parts and workers in a matter of even days here on the peninsula and we always do our best to get issues resolved as soon as possible. Part of this unfortunately is beyond our control.

We hope you come visit us again, and get to enjoy a better experience of Luz!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This is probably the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. Me and min friend don't mind staying in dormitories, but this was really something els. The bed wore terrible! Coverd in a plastic sheet it got so noisy and hot! The room was hot and no air entered!
The staff seemed to be too cool for them self, yet it took the genius 4 times to get the bill right!
Don't stay day!dont get fools by the other reviews here, that how we got fooled! We left one day earlier without a reefound. The place just next door showed to be both cheeper, nicer and cleaner!!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I am very sorry to hear that you were so turned off by our beds. Each bed has a bed cover, which is a thin plastic liner to protect the mattress from getting nasty. It is so hot here and people sweat a lot, so it is a health precaution to keep other guests bodily fluids away from the next guest. We wash the covers and then put cotton sheets over, to make the beds as clean as possible!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

The dormitory was luxurious, cute and very clean. Breakfast: wow! The rooms are located in the heart of the jungle, so do not pay to see howler monkeys, they are waiting for you at Luz en el cielo! We met some great people. I would go back anytime!

Room Tip: Ask for the new luxiurious dorm!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Came here looking for a place to stay and unfortunately they had no beds or hammocks. However, they saw our tent and offered my boyfriend and I a place to set up camp. They way they moved things around and made us feel welcomed was amazing. Since they were at full capacity there wasn't any lockers available and they locked our things up in the office so we didn't have to worry. Plus being away from the busy street and off in the jungle surrounded by monkeys was amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'd turned up to Montezuma with no accommodation booked or research done. I turned up here to a pleasant looking hostel in a beautiful bush setting. Greeted by beaming smiles and energetic, helpful staff, it's a great way to great weary travellers. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. The toilet up stairs surrounded by the bush setting was the best bathroom to sit and contemplate life in my 4 months of travel - odd but hey it's the little experiences that make travel unique. The hammock was ideal for mid morning naps and to watch the howler monkeys do their thing. The 'family dinners' were awesome, food great and really good value and a great way to meet like minded travellers. The girls running the place were super friendly and happy to be doing what they do which made a big difference in a place like Montezume where the saying Purda Vida comes into reality. They washed my clothes, had a beer with us and shared their secrets of Montezuma. Do the waterfall, skinny dip and sit around a fire on the beach...its about as good as it gets and this place certainly contributes to the experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and had an awesome time. I met so many great people, it was clean, friendly and had a great vibe. Everyone talks to everyone, there are lots of hammocks to chill in, places to hang wet clothes and the bathrooms are private with good showers. Highly recommend, especially going to the waterfalls.

• Stayed November 2012