All reviewscosta ricahowler monkeysplace to staysmall townprivate roomthree nightshot watermangotreeshilljunglewildlifebackpackersrecyclingbugsporch
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Our experience at Luz en el Cielo was fabulous. The staff there were extremely helpful and friendly and the place is astonishing. Clean, cozy, and way too much fun. A great relaxed environment with an excellent vibe. Vale la pena!

Room Tip: Dorms were cozy and comfortable, would recommend renting a mosquito net if you don't have you're own.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed here first with friends, afterwards alone. Although the expression alone does not really fit the place, because since I was travelling during off-season the hostel had less then 10 guests, which made it easy to get to know everyone. In the evening the whole hostel would do something (night-swimming in the ocean, going to one of the few bars etc.) together. This was really fun. The atmosphere is laid-back, but still the owner is strict with quiet-time during the night, therefore the screaming monkeys should be your only concern regarding noise.

I stayed in a six bed dorm room, with an additional "bathroom" outside. All very clean and nice-looking. The dormitory was a cabina, not part of the acutal hostel building, surrounded by nature (yes, monkeys that throw fruit at you too). Like other people mention, there was a drought and hence water was short, but that wouldn't have been different in another hostel in Montezuma. Concerns about safety seem legitimate at first, since there are no lockers. However, I never felt unsafe, since the hostel is guarded by a local guy during the night and by the owners during the day. The rather high price is justified by the great service, plus it includes a great breakfast with fruits, gallo pinto and scrambled eggs.

I would recommend Luz en el Cielo in any case and will - if I return to Montezuma one day - visit again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got in after dark on a Friday night, but our taxi driver knew exactly where this place was. They are up the hill from the town, but it is not to bad of a walk if you are up to it. We stayed in one of the new cabinas. It was lovely and very nice and clean. Unfortunately the water pump had broken that day and they had not been able to fix it, but we were allowed to use the shared restroom. They also gave us a deduction on the room without even having to ask for it. It was fixed by Saturday night, but unfortunately we were not told of this, so we did not get to use the restrooms. Other than that the staff was very nice, good breakfast, and you felt like you were in the Jungle, which was amazing. The monkey's can be very noisy, but it is such a neat experience. I would come back again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Try the cabinas if you budget allows for it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were very excited to spend three nights in the dorm rooms in Luz en el Cielo while in Montezuma. I planned this trip with 5 other girls and everything seemed like it was going to be perfect. Luz told us we'd have our own room with our own bathroom. When we arrived they had split us up and neither room had its own bathroom. Additionally, we had other random people staying in each room. I have stayed in hostels before I know that sleeping in a room with other people is normal, however they did not inform us that this was what we were getting and our doors did not even have any locks on them. I woke up to see three people in a two person bunk and my friends in the other room awoke to a stray dog that had slipped in through the unlocked door. The breakfast was decent, probably the only good thing about our stay. To make matters worse, Montezuma was going through a drought. Completely understandable to be tight with water but Luz en el Cielo did not even have enough water for us to fill up water bottles, let alone shower. After spending all day on the beach, all you want to do is shower and I went through three days of attempting and failing to shower.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This place is a really "Luz en el cielo", I stayed for only two days but its worth to go back and enjoy a whole week there. Its very close to the little town, but at the same time is in the middle of the forest, we even received visits from the monkeys, so its very quiet and relaxing. The staff is very fun and welcoming, always ready to help you and also schedule surf lessons, and waterfall trails. The kitchen is well equiped, and one of the best things is the breakfast, which is something very hard to find in other hostels.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends