All reviewshowler monkeysplace to stayprivate roomthree nightshot watermangotreeshilljungletownwildlifebackpackersrecyclingbugsporch
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed here at the start of my trip and had an awesome experience! The hostel itself is lovely and open concept with a big communal table and hammocks. The staff were really friendly, super helpful and showed us some cool things in Montezuma. The breakfast was delicious, and everything was really clean. Really chill atmosphere-definitely stay here if you come to Montezuma!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I arrived in Montezuma with no idea where to stay. I asked the first person I saw for a recommendation and they jumped at the chance to point me in the direction of this amazing b&b.

Set just up the hill and in among the trees, Luz is barely visable from the road. The place is clean and welcoming with a big common area with tables, hammocks, and a kitchen on the first floor. The cleaning staff that comes in every day are young and friendly, and bring fresh flowers for the tables and kitchen, a small extra detail that made it feel more like home and made it evident that Abbie and the rest of the wonderful staff really go the extra mile to make this place "your home in the jungle." The safe is in the office, wifi is fast and reliable. Finally, the fresh breakfast was always delicious and welcome - very different from the bread and cereal I had been eating up to that point.

I can't say enough good things about this place. I was meant to stay for three days and ended up staying for more than a week. Can't wait to be back to check out the new bungalo!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 30, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Luz en el Cielo for 3 nights in late June, and we had a great experience. The staff is super friendly, and helpful, and overall this place has a really approachable vibe. For being a small place they have some great commnunal spaces where we ended up spending late nights just hanging out with other travelers. Although they don't have locked rooms, they have a safe for valuables, we had no problems. Also, for being a small place they always had 3-5 staff people on hand, I felt Luz was very secure. I thought the breakfast was awesome, toast, eggs, fresh fruit, and gallo pinto, for me it was enough food to last until a late lunch/early dinner. Yes people smoke from time to time here, but if you're in Montezuma you have to expect this. I didn't think this was a problem, and never felt uncomfortable. It is a hike up the hill to get here, but we saw capuchin monkeys and howler monkeys with in the first few hours of our arrival right outside our window!

Overall if I would definitely recommend Luz to a friend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Location is a bit uphill from the towncentre but absolutely do-able and ensures there's not too much noise from traffic and none from any bars etc.
Reception was friendly but definitely didn't get offered a cold drink or any of the sort like some review suggested. The staff is friendly and young, which is cool if you're into partying and that sort of thing. There were only dorms available when we stayed. Stayed in the "jungle dorm". Probably the smallest dorm room I have seen on the trip through Central America and the upper bunk is so low that you can't sit upright on the lower bunkbed. The beds also have some kind of plastic covering under the sheets which rustles and is uncomfortable. Like sleeping on a lilo. The communal bathroom is nicely done and all areas are clean.
The points that made me really dislike this place are the fact that there are no locks on the dormroom doors. Yep, that's right, anyone can walk in and take what they want. The staff are adamant that they are at the hostel 24/7 and would notice anyone who is not a guest and they also have a night time security dude. This argument is flawed for 2 reasons: at the place next door (where they have door locks btw) people were followed from the town and had their stuff stolen from within a safe (!). They have now installed stronger safes but they also had security and it shows that no one is immune to theft. Secondly, I seriously doubt the vigilance of a staff that, at dinner, happily declares in front of all guests that theyre just gonna go into town to get bananas and blow (cocaine). Also, as some people have remarked the extra money you pay for breakfast is not really worth it. We had pancakes (with aforementioned bananas - no blow though, mind). Tasted very good but was it worth 5 dollars? I don't know. If you're down with a good time and like that kinda "cool" environment, stay there. You should at least take the time to check out Luna Llena next door though. Cheaper, and in my opinion much nicer. You still get the monkey-wildlife-stuff experience.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Dieschr
LiveLaughLove000, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Trip Advisor is made to help travelers. When Trip Advisor becomes a playing field for competitors to bash on the competition, it takes away from the honestly of such a great and powerful travel-review/ website. The problem with this review is that there is a grand comparison of Luz en el Cielo, to the hotel next door, Luna Llena,. There was no review written for Luna Llena. It seems like this review was written solely to degrade Luz en el Cielo. There is a lot of competition between my hotel and the hotel next door. To be clear I am not contesting this review, because it was bad. What is said in this review, and most of it is quite silly, is not true of Luz en el Cielo. We can prove many of the points written in this review to be wrong.

Just to be clear, Bananas and Blow is a well-known song written by Ween. IT IS A SONG. Why on earth would somebody announce that they are going to buy bananas and blow, if they were really going to buy blow. Our bunk beds are standard size, if not larger. Hawke’s Banana pancakes are to die for! (Normally we serve pinto, eggs, fruit, toast, and coffee for Breakfast. This was a special day.) The dorm room that you stayed in only has two bunk beds, of course it is small. The plastic mattress covers, are for sanitary purposes. Just think of sleeping on a mattress that somebody else has sweat in the night before or even worse……, No thanks!

Lastly, I don’t understand why you would say that the hotel next door had been robbed, and then recommend that hotel. We have a great safe system and have never had problems with people following guests home and robbing them.

CHEERS! Abbie- owner/manager

Reviewed September 21, 2011

A friend and myself stayed at this hostel for 3 nights at the end of August. When looking for a place I decided to only book one night because I wasn't sure if I was going to like the place, but once I got there and the monkeys greeted us on our walk up to the hostel I was immediately happy. Then to meet the staff, who were so friendly and helpful, I knew that I would stay more days. The owner Abby is there everyday checking to make sure everything is going well, which shows how much she cares about the hostel and her guests. The staff make a great 'Tico' breakfast that is included. The price is a little higher then other places in town, but if you like gallo pinto for breakfast you will not find a better deal with your stay. The rooms are simple and not sound proof, but the linen is clean and the beds are covered so no worries about dirty mattresses, and there is a hostel quiet time of 11pm. Once again the staff was great, they hung out with us, took us to Playa Grande, played cards and took us out to the only club in town- Chico's. We had a blast and if I am in Montezuma again I will definitely be returning to this hostel.

Room Tip: The only downside is that it is up the hill from the town- a 5 min walk max, but if you have mobility issues this may not be the hostel for you. The walk is nice and we felt the walk was safe.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends