Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
$199
Hotel El Jardin(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
$62
  • Pool
Hotel Aurora(Montezuma)
$52
$32
$170
Sano Banano Beachside Hotel(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$60
Hotel Los Mangos(Montezuma)
$53
  • Pool
Hotel Amor de Mar(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
$70
Cabinas Mar y Cielo(Montezuma)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 05/30
Book now, pay at stay
$60
Luna Llena Hotel(Montezuma)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscosta ricahowler monkeysevery morningan awesome experienceplace to staybeautiful naturepura vidasmall towncommunal kitchenwi fithree nightsprivate roomhot waterdowntown montezumaview of the oceanmangodorm
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Location is a bit uphill from the towncentre but absolutely do-able and ensures there's not too much noise from traffic and none from any bars etc.
Reception was friendly but definitely didn't get offered a cold drink or any of the sort like some review suggested. The staff is friendly and young, which is cool if you're into partying and that sort of thing. There were only dorms available when we stayed. Stayed in the "jungle dorm". Probably the smallest dorm room I have seen on the trip through Central America and the upper bunk is so low that you can't sit upright on the lower bunkbed. The beds also have some kind of plastic covering under the sheets which rustles and is uncomfortable. Like sleeping on a lilo. The communal bathroom is nicely done and all areas are clean.
The points that made me really dislike this place are the fact that there are no locks on the dormroom doors. Yep, that's right, anyone can walk in and take what they want. The staff are adamant that they are at the hostel 24/7 and would notice anyone who is not a guest and they also have a night time security dude. This argument is flawed for 2 reasons: at the place next door (where they have door locks btw) people were followed from the town and had their stuff stolen from within a safe (!). They have now installed stronger safes but they also had security and it shows that no one is immune to theft. Secondly, I seriously doubt the vigilance of a staff that, at dinner, happily declares in front of all guests that theyre just gonna go into town to get bananas and blow (cocaine). Also, as some people have remarked the extra money you pay for breakfast is not really worth it. We had pancakes (with aforementioned bananas - no blow though, mind). Tasted very good but was it worth 5 dollars? I don't know. If you're down with a good time and like that kinda "cool" environment, stay there. You should at least take the time to check out Luna Llena next door though. Cheaper, and in my opinion much nicer. You still get the monkey-wildlife-stuff experience.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Dieschr
LiveLaughLove000, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Trip Advisor is made to help travelers. When Trip Advisor becomes a playing field for competitors to bash on the competition, it takes away from the honestly of such a great and powerful travel-review/ website. The problem with this review is that there is a grand comparison of Luz en el Cielo, to the hotel next door, Luna Llena,. There was no review written for Luna Llena. It seems like this review was written solely to degrade Luz en el Cielo. There is a lot of competition between my hotel and the hotel next door. To be clear I am not contesting this review, because it was bad. What is said in this review, and most of it is quite silly, is not true of Luz en el Cielo. We can prove many of the points written in this review to be wrong.

Just to be clear, Bananas and Blow is a well-known song written by Ween. IT IS A SONG. Why on earth would somebody announce that they are going to buy bananas and blow, if they were really going to buy blow. Our bunk beds are standard size, if not larger. Hawke’s Banana pancakes are to die for! (Normally we serve pinto, eggs, fruit, toast, and coffee for Breakfast. This was a special day.) The dorm room that you stayed in only has two bunk beds, of course it is small. The plastic mattress covers, are for sanitary purposes. Just think of sleeping on a mattress that somebody else has sweat in the night before or even worse……, No thanks!

Lastly, I don’t understand why you would say that the hotel next door had been robbed, and then recommend that hotel. We have a great safe system and have never had problems with people following guests home and robbing them.

CHEERS! Abbie- owner/manager

Reviewed September 21, 2011

A friend and myself stayed at this hostel for 3 nights at the end of August. When looking for a place I decided to only book one night because I wasn't sure if I was going to like the place, but once I got there and the monkeys greeted us on our walk up to the hostel I was immediately happy. Then to meet the staff, who were so friendly and helpful, I knew that I would stay more days. The owner Abby is there everyday checking to make sure everything is going well, which shows how much she cares about the hostel and her guests. The staff make a great 'Tico' breakfast that is included. The price is a little higher then other places in town, but if you like gallo pinto for breakfast you will not find a better deal with your stay. The rooms are simple and not sound proof, but the linen is clean and the beds are covered so no worries about dirty mattresses, and there is a hostel quiet time of 11pm. Once again the staff was great, they hung out with us, took us to Playa Grande, played cards and took us out to the only club in town- Chico's. We had a blast and if I am in Montezuma again I will definitely be returning to this hostel.

Room Tip: The only downside is that it is up the hill from the town- a 5 min walk max, but if you have mobility issues this may not be the hostel for you. The walk is nice and we felt the walk was safe.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Five of us stayed here for a couple nights and absolutely had a fabulous time!! The staff were great to hang out with and the hostel was really laid back with a great common area and lots of wildlife. Its just up a small hill from town and really is in a great location away from all the noise. We would definitely stay here again without a doubt and have recommended it to many other people already. The Security Guard is awesome and we felt really safe at the hostel as well as we weren't worried about our belongings! Montezuma is a great town to visit on your journey and you should definitely stay at Luz en el Cielo when you are in town!! One thing not to be missed is the waterfalls. They are quite a hike but definitely worth the effort we spent hours in the water and jumping off the rocks. We had some other students who stayed at another hostel in town and they were not to happy about the noise level or the cleanliness of the rooms and next time they are staying at your place.. Also free breakfast is included so thats an extra bonus.. Looking forward to coming back really soon!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The staff at Luz were very hospitable and welcoming. They had great knowledge of activities to do in the area, and accommodated last minute changes with pleasure. The facilities are well maintained and very clean, and the location was spectacular for sighting and hearing wildlife. Breakfasts were delicious!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2011

'Your home in the jungle' could not be a more apt description for this enchanting hostel. Do not be put off by the slight walk up the hill from the centre of Montezuma as from the moment I arrived the gorgeous staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful. All the day time delights that Montezuma has to offer are just a stones throw away including the breath taking waterfalls, relaxing yoga classes and hopelessly romantic beaches. A paella master class, handmade sushi rolls and salsa dancing tips are just a few of the extras I was lucky enough to encounter while at Luz! The dorms and bathrooms are clean and the breakfasts are delicious. Be prepared, as I did, to fall in love with this place and never want to leave.

Room Tip: Book in advance as there are limited spaces.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo