“I'd be happy eating my every meal there every day”

Ylang Ylang Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Montezuma
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ylang Ylang Restaurant is a joyful place... your meals are prepared especially for you with the freshest of ingredients and caring, friendly service. A calm atmosphere and delicious food awaits you...We are proud to serve mainly organic produce in all of our dishes.Our restaurant caters to seafood, vegan and raw food lovers. We also serve great chicken dishes, but do not serve red meat. Please see our online menus for more details.We are always willing to accommodate your needs, just ask at the time of booking.The restaurant is open to non-hotel guests as well.Great Happy Hour from 3-6pm everyday
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“I'd be happy eating my every meal there every day”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Let me put it this way, if you are looking for the best seafood you have ever had, prepared perfectly, this is the place to go. I could not get enough of the stuffed mahi mahi for my dinner, drenched in an oyster cream sauce (YUM) it could rival the five-star restaurants I've dined at in the past.

I have a special place in my heart for egg-based breakfasts, the huevos rancheros the restaurant served were so good my mouth waters just at the memory of them. I will be returning in August and you can be assured this will be the first breakfast I order!!

I rebooted my liver every day after a night of trying out the tasty cocktails with their extensive menu of smoothies (I had so many passionfruit green smoothies the waitstaff joked I would turn green! Delish!!!)

• Visited February 2013

• Czech first
Corning, Iowa
“Best meals in Montezuma!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon and had breakfast and supper at the restaurant for 5 days straight. Each day we got something different and everyday we were absolutely AMAZED at how delicious all the meals were. From the freshly squeezed orange juice, to the white wine chicken, and stuffed Mahi Mahi..I could go on and on. You will not be disappointed in the meal and service you recieve from Ylang Ylang. All the waitresses and waitors were outstanding. My husband and I both said we haven't had as good of meals as we had at Ylang Ylang Restaurant in a long time and we both come from everyday home-cooking families. The facilities are VERY well kept and you are surrounded my rainforest and have an ocean-front view for everything. You're constantly one with nature and feel so at peace with the sound of the ocean. The bathrooms, bar, restaurant, reception area, everything about Ylang Ylang is top notch and stunning. Again, we especially enjoyed our evening waitors who were very friendly and down to earth and made each meal enjoyable for us. You will regret not eating here during your stay in Montezuma!

• Visited June 2013
Burbank, California
“not what you read about!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Don't be fooled by this place,the beach out front is nice but the place is run down and if you want to not feel like the average tourist cook than do not go here! This place does not represent Montezuma well.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank craigvwoody
uumatter, Owner at Ylang Ylang Restaurant, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Craig, whatever agenda you may have against Ylang Ylang Restaurant, let me put it to rest by stating the obvious and how off base your remarks really are:

Ylang Ylang Restaurant is a very well kept, lush, comfortable, artsy and thriving restaurant on a very lovely beach just north of Montezuma, located at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort.

Your remark that "if you want to not feel like the average tourist cook than do not go here!" is both denigrating to all of our guests who have eaten and stayed with us and a very strange way of putting down people who will eat with us in the future. (I assume by "cook", you actually mean KOOK).

To say that Ylang Ylang Restaurant does not represent Montezuma well is belittling to the Costa Rican staff who put their heart and soul into their service and prepare some of the most varied and delicious food and drink available on the Peninsula, let alone Montezuma... and it is denigrating to me and my family as owners and operators of something really special going on in Montezuma, that will continue despite your efforts to the contrary.

We love what we do... each and every one of us at Ylang Ylang... and to those who want to share something special with us... you are more than welcome.

Lenny
East Lansing, Michigan
“Yummy!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The jungle ambiance is amazing, and the service was impeccable. The food was good and the magic mocha chiller was so good I almost ordered 2. The hotel is awesome too, and it's cheap if you have 2 people stay in the room.

Visited May 2013
Baltimore
“Food poisining”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I had dinner there 2 days ago. We had the shrimp appetizer, she had the chicken curry dish and I had the Caribbean rice dish. The food was very flavorful and the location is great.

By two in the morning we both had diarrhea, and were both vomiting by the afternoon the following day. So go there at your own risk.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kody m
uumatter, Owner at Ylang Ylang Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for trying our restaurant and for mentioning how tasty our food was and the excellent ambiance. Regarding your title "food poisoning", please be aware that we take such claims very, very seriously.

First off, after going over your claim with our head chef and kitchen staff, we found all of our food handling procedures to be categorically faultless. Likewise, refrigeration is working fine and food items only served fresh, which is our trademark. Most importantly, we checked our water treatment system. Our water at the resort is a proprietary spring source that we treat with a UV filtration system, working perfectly, by the way.

So, after checking in town, we discovered a piece of information coming from other local restaurants and hotels. The water over the last 3 weeks in Montezuma has been found to be tainted... a result of two water sources getting mixed together, one of which is the town's pure water source and the other used for irrigation. How this is happening is under investigation at the moment. One thing for certain is it began with the advent of the rainy season, which began a month ago.

As a result, there appears to be a stomach "flu" going around town and many workers and guests from adjacent hotels and businesses have been affected. Your symptoms exactly.

As I mentioned, at Ylang Ylang, we have our own treated pure water source. We are confident you likely drank water in town or had it included in a prepared drink or food preparation that later affected the two of you. Possibly even brushing your teeth? In most cases of stomach discomfort while traveling, the root cause are water borne contaminants.

We believe this because no other guests have had complaints.

If I may, I would like to offer a suggestion for you and those reading:

1) It is in the best interest of your health that while traveling, you always carry along a refillable water filtration bottle. Preferably with a one micron filter.
2) If you do for some reason get sick, and you suspect water borne or food poisoning, immediately let the establishments know of your discord... the place you are staying and the places you have eaten. You may be able to find out why and avert the problem for other travelers.
3) Wash your hands thoroughly before each meal.
4) Be aware of personal allergies and ingredients in all you eat and drink. If you are taking meds, be aware of food interactions.

I hope this helps clarify your situation.

Patricia