“Horseback Riding at its best: El Pinto Expeditions in Montezuma”

El Pinto Horseback Riding Expeditions
More attraction details
Owner description: El Pinto Expeditions offers daily specialized private horseback rides,overnight moon rides and stays at our farm near Montezuma. The horses are family to us, so we love and take good care of them. They are well suited to trail riding, and we care very much about matching people with the right horse. Our speciality is beginner to intermediate level. Marvin gives instructions on techniques for safety & comfort for both the rider & the horse.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I've been to Montezuma about 20 times over the past 8 years, and have gone on horseback tours with several of the companies, most recently, El Pinto Expeditions. This horseback tour company seems totally focused on 2 things: its horses and its customers - and I'd say from my experience that the founder (and tour guide), Marvin, feels equally strong about both. Its apparent to anyone that Marvin loves his horses. He made sure that his horses are suited for each rider. The horses look healthy (I've ridden my entire life) and feel healthy when you ride them. I'm going to Costa Rica again next month, taking my teenage son and his best friend, who has just finished 3 years of treatment for cancer - and we'll be going out with Marvin and El Pinto Expeditions for a nice, happy ride in Montezuma - besides the fact that I want to go, I know that Marvin will make it safe for my son's friend - and this young guy who fought so hard to live will certainly feel alive as he sits atop a beautiful horse moving along the coast of Montezuma.

There are newer reviews for El Pinto Horseback Riding Expeditions

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We had a great time on this horseback riding tour! The horses were well cared for and healthy. They were well trained and easy to ride. Marvin was very friendly, helpful and laid back. He was very careful to be sure he knew all of our riding levels and kept all of us comfortable and happy with the experience. One friend hadn't ridden at all and her horse was very calm and mellow. My other friend has some experience and her horse was perfect for her. I have a little more experience and I was allowed to run on the beach about 6 times, what a blast and the horse was so trustworthy, it was even more fun! We went for about an hour and 1/2 on the beach and in the jungle then took a rest by the waterfall. When we got back from exploring, Marvin had fresh pineapple cut up for us, yum! What ever we didn't eat, the horses got. Then we rode back to Montezuma. The cost was very reasonable and I would highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed December 10, 2010

My husband and I took a similar horseback tour in Costa Rica and had a really bad experience, so when booking this one for ourselves and 4 friends, we were a bit apprehensive.

All of my fears dissolved when I spoke with Dorothy. She went the extra mile answering all of my emails. She was very helpful with information on Montezuma and transportation, etc. Marvin was excellent with the obviously well-cared for horses. He was very vigilant about our inexperienced riders, who he paired with the most laid back horses. All of the horses were mild mannered and seemed to enjoy the ride.

The tour was a long one, with a few challenging spots that made us feel a little less like tourists and more like adventurers. The views of the beach and the forest were gorgeous. The trip to the waterfall was amazing and it gave us and the horses time to rest. The freshly sliced pineapple was a wonderful touch.

We wore swimsuits under capris/long pants for the waterfall and riding through brush. A brimmed hat was perfect for riding on the sunny beach.

I highly recommend this tour to anyone looking to get a lot of wow factor for the money, Dorothy and Marvin have such sweet spirits and I am so glad that we got to meet two people who really enjoy what they do. Pura vida!

Reviewed December 5, 2010

Marvin led us on the horseback ride to Cocolito Falls. The ride was beautiful along the beach. It was obvious he loved his horses, and he gave us several tips on riding techniques to make the trip easier for us and the horses. He also geared the ride to our abilities and desires. We had a great time.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

From the moment that we made our reservations ( a few weeks before we arrived in Costa Rica) to the time where we were dropped off back at our hotel, the communication, care and professionalism of both Marvin (who actually took us on our ride) and his wife, Dorothy were first class! I have done some riding, but my husband had not and Marvin selected the perfect horses for each of us and paid attention to everyone in the party (4 all together) in a relaxed but attentive way. They love what they do and love their horses which is such a wonderful thing to see and be a part of. Our trip on horseback with El Pinto was the highlight of a very magical trip!!