“The Anamaya Retreat Experience - Pleasure beyond words” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Sierra Madre, California
“The Anamaya Retreat Experience - Pleasure beyond words”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We came to Anamaya for a week's Tantra Yoga retreat, now knowing just how much the feeling, service and beauty of this resort would amplify the experience of the retreat itself. We must leave today, but as I sit here I am looking out over the stunning porch/yoga/dance floor in the back, with a calm and glorious ocean hundreds of feet below. Jungle-like forest extends from hundreds of feet below us to the ocean shore, and this morning we awakened to the gentle sound of howler monkies, just as last night we feel asleep to the unique and funny sounds of geckos clicking.

If you EVER have an opportunity to come here as a guest, either as part of a retreat or during the times they have individual bungalows for rent, do not miss it. I have traveled the world, including much of the vacation tropics, and Anamaya has been the best of the best.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank crisismanager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I treated myself to a yoga retreat for my 40th birthday and have been thanking myself for it ever since! The resort is stunning, and the view from the yoga deck might be the most beautiful one I've ever seen. But the real magic of the place is in the loving, energetic vibe of the people who work there. Everyone, without exception, was friendly, helpful, and warm. Destiny's yoga classes were terrific, and the food was some of the most delicious, creative cuisine I have ever tasted. The Anamaya website paints a spectacular picture of the place, so my expectations were pretty high. Anamaya exceeded those high expectations in every possible way! I would absolutely recommend it and I can't wait to return someday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank Robynkw
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

First of all, I would like to say I had a great time. It's a beautiful resort and because of it's size, location, and friendly demeanor of the staff it's almost impossible not to. I relied heavily on the resort's website and the tripadvisor reviews. I was really looking to enhance my yoga practice as it was a reteat, not worry about meals as it was all inclusive, and rely on the staff for the exursions. Unfortunately, even though I had a great time, those parts didn't live up to the expectations I feel the resort set and some of the reviews I read.

The resort organized a shuttle to pick guests up from the airport if they desired. I received a confirmation e-mail from them. When I arrived, I did not see the person who was picking us up. After I called them, they informed me I was not on the list the list. Fortunately or unfortunately though, they discovered that the shuttle driver they arranged didn't pick up anyone due to a scheduling error-- kind of a big deal in a foreign country and you only have so much time to get to the ferry. Luckily I found the other guests and we made it but it was not a pleasant expereience and we also had to fork up some money on the spot anf later have the hotel reimburse us.

Secondly, when I oringally signed up, I asked for the Yoga/Surf retreat. I was told it wasn't available the week I was there-- so fine, I sign up for the regular yoga package. Only to discover upon my arrival, my roommate was somehow able to sign up, a little diappointing.

With the meals, the portions are small, if you're a heavier eater or a man (stereotype I know), you're kind of stuck. You will likely need to get something in town at some point. The cook also didn't show up for a meal or two. There's nothing to drink besides water and coffee. Sometimes there was cream for the coffee sometimes there wasn't. If you want something to eat between meals-- nothing. Some meals they didn't get the counts for the guests right and people had to share. Nothing huge, nothing major but again not really what you're thinking about with "all inclusive" for meals.

The Yoga was okay but when I am going on a yoga retreat, I expect for there to be more than one class a day and for it to be a little challenging for the on and off yogi but it was kind of basic. Luckily, there was another instructor interviewing so we got a few extra classes in but if she didn't show up....

Lastly were included excursions. Most of them are things you just do on your own and hope you get it right. There was a waterfall hike but no guide, just a hand written map and we were told to go. The trip into town is just the resort calling a taxi for you. Also, I tried to arrange a surfing class, which was supposed to be taught by one of the cooks, only to have him to never show up and no follow up from the hotel.

I'm having a hard time writing the negatives because almost everyone was super nice at the hotel and I did have a good time. However, I think the expectations were not clearly set and it should be managed a little bit better.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
48 Thank iCreate
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I did the aerial retreat with beautiful and talented Ana Prada at Anamaya. I have been back in the states for four days now, and I am still missing the place and the friends I made there like a homesick puppy. The entire staff are such joyful, calm and warm hearted people! I had a great time and left so inspired. I started missing everything & everyone as soon as I re-entered the states. The owners, Joseph and Jeff were immediately personable; Leah, who is most likely responding to possible clients via phone and email, was super helpful from the very start, even answering questions before I even asked; the food was delicious & the chefs were so gracious; Destiny, the resident yoga teacher, has such a love eminating from her; and even though I did not speak much spanish, which is what the cleaning staff only speaks, they were still fun and friendly and a joy to see each morning. That is just the staff! The place itself is a dream. I've imaged scenery and landscapes like the ones seen from the studio... I never thought I'd see or experience it in real life. There's loads to do there, especially if you like going on hikes through the jungle & waterfalls and have a love for the beach. If you are looking for something to re-spark your soul, to get you inspired, and/or to kick start a better over-all life style, call Anamaya. Now.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank SeaSunDance
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Coming to Anamaya was my first time travelling abroad on my own. Needless to say, I was nervous as to what to expect. From the minute that I stepped foot into the grand, beautiful, welcoming resort, it felt like home. The staff treats you like family--actually, better than family. They make sure to go above and beyond to treat you like a friend staying in their home. Everything about my stay at Anamaya was perfect. There is something truly magical about this place. I plan to return as soon as I possibly can and as often as life allows.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank s-antrim
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Anamaya - thank you so much for having this vision and sharing it with the entire world. My adventure to Anamaya will be one of my most memorable experiences I have ever had in my entire life and I am grateful. I have met so many inspiring and talented individuals that colorfully shine like gods and goddesses filled with unconditional LOVE on our breathtaking planet Earth. Your vision has brought all of us angels together and we will hold this in our hearts forever. Namaste.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank luv2travel714
Cayman Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I was a solo traveller, and I wanted a peaceful retreat where I can practise yoga, zip line and hike.

I did a fair bit of research as to where I should go in Costa Rica and opted for Montezuma and Anamaya solely on the reviews on trip advisor, the fact that I was a solo person, safety and from the Anamaya website.

Trust me-the pics you see on the Anamaya website looks exactly like that in person. I took a flight on SansAir from SJO to Tambor, and then the hotel arranged for a pick up at Tambor for a 25 minute drive to Anamaya. Alternatively you can take Nature Air to Tambor, but you have to take a bus from SJO main airport to a smaller airport.

Upon arrival at Anamaya you immediately feel at ease - the view of the forest and the bordering Pacific is simply breathtaking - I was immediately at peace and vacation mode - so much so that I lost track of time and forgot what day I was on.

The staff are lovely - they catered to us, and the food was all fresh and organic and soooo tasty! Trust me - you've never had dessert this good - vegan, dairy-free and tasty.

The yoga was good especially with the view from the yoga deck, and at the back of Anamaya are waterfalls, and the zip lining tours is only about a 7 minute walk. The trip to town is a bit tricky - it's downhill and it takes about 20 minutes - if it rains forget about it - just stay in. But the walk is good exercise, and the restaurants in town are good - they are also focussed on healthy cooking, vegan food, yoga and zumba!

If you do decide to go - look no further - Anamaya is the place to be!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo